So as we are approaching 25 years...

Josh 8

Reaction
Word bro. That other dawg’s jus straight tripp’in.

Lol’s. Just keeping my hood rat lingo fresh.

Goober

Reaction
Ah, I disagree. I think Robbie was hoping for something more like the old MTEG stadium series, which really was great. Running on street courses that are set up for street racing cars then throwing some metal ramps up to add air sis not as exciting as racing on the dirt was with the Stadium series. It is a side show that folks who come to watch the other race cars see when waiting for a main event. They are not the main event. In MTEG, they absolutely were.
Why did Robby stop doing the MTEG style courses?

Bro_Gill

Reaction
He didn't. He didn't run the Mickey Thompson Entertainment Group. He raced in it. Mickey was murdered and it was never the same. He was not just a fast man, he was a GREAT promoter.

Goober

Reaction
He didn't. He didn't run the Mickey Thompson Entertainment Group. He raced in it. Mickey was murdered and it was never the same. He was not just a fast man, he was a GREAT promoter.
Not what I meant. When he started the speed series he had MTEG style races but switched to the current format. Why didn't he keep it supercross style?

Josh 8

Reaction
When financial business endeavors fail it usually associated to with a loss of capital.

Based on this simple understanding I would assume it wasn’t making money.

sb4pro

Reaction
One question how did this end up about Robby and SST ? I thought this was about Trophy Trucks ?

Fly'n Ryan

Reaction
IMO I think the lack of growth into the mainstream has a lot to do with race format and track layout... I know I am going to gain some haters here but I think the reason our sport does not get the recognition it deserves has a lot to do with the amount of land the organizers use to create a race... I think more races like BAP, Rage, LDC, should be the focus rather then long distance races. If you want to attract more spectators there needs to be more attention put on show casing these vehicles at high speed in front of the fans. Super fast whoop sections, high speed jumps and long sweeping corners gets everybody pumped! Look where the masses go at the current races, San Felipe has "Zoo Road" BAP has "Dyke Jump" Laughlin has either the road crossing or the fast straight below free loader hill. Shorter loop races no longer than 10 miles, so viewers can see vehicles pass multiple times. "Crappiest thing about watching a desert races is the wait between seeing your favorite car come by." Maybe our sport should look to F1 or the Rolex series and immolate road courses like Nurbuerg, Spa, and LeMans to create similar but temporary venues held on dirt. Slower classes in the morning building up to the main feature classes (TT - Class1) in the evening. More banners ads in front of the spectators, walk bridges or shuttles allowing fans to get to different spectator zones, more concessions, bleachers, jumbo-tron, Live Social Media Feeds etc. Open pits for the fans, view able hot pits, commentators hosting tech talks, the sky's the limit. I know I am dreaming big here but I also know that its not cheap for the organizers to obtain the land permits on these long courses, which seems to always roll over into the entry fee. Maybe if the money was spent differently there would be a better return on investment for everyone. Thus elevating the entire sport... Just my opinion.

btshannon

Reaction
IMO I think the lack of growth into the mainstream has a lot to do with race format and track layout... I know I am going to gain some haters here but I think the reason our sport does not get the recognition it deserves has a lot to do with the amount of land the organizers use to create a race... I think more races like BAP, Rage, LDC, should be the focus rather then long distance races. If you want to attract more spectators there needs to be more attention put on show casing these vehicles at high speed in front of the fans. Super fast whoop sections, high speed jumps and long sweeping corners gets everybody pumped! Look where the masses go at the current races, San Felipe has "Zoo Road" BAP has "Dyke Jump" Laughlin has either the road crossing or the fast straight below free loader hill. Shorter loop races no longer than 10 miles, so viewers can see vehicles pass multiple times. "Crappiest thing about watching a desert races is the wait between seeing your favorite car come by." Maybe our sport should look to F1 or the Rolex series and immolate road courses like Nurbuerg, Spa, and LeMans to create similar but temporary venues held on dirt. Slower classes in the morning building up to the main feature classes (TT - Class1) in the evening. More banners ads in front of the spectators, walk bridges or shuttles allowing fans to get to different spectator zones, more concessions, bleachers, jumbo-tron, Live Social Media Feeds etc. Open pits for the fans, view able hot pits, commentators hosting tech talks, the sky's the limit. I know I am dreaming big here but I also know that its not cheap for the organizers to obtain the land permits on these long courses, which seems to always roll over into the entry fee. Maybe if the money was spent differently there would be a better return on investment for everyone. Thus elevating the entire sport... Just my opinion.

The type of racing that you are describing would be the kind of race that I would not attend. I am anxious to see how the big TT race at KOH works out next year, but I sure do not want to spend it crammed into an area with 5,000 other folks watching the desert action on a dang jumbo-tron screen.

Fly'n Ryan

Reaction
The type of racing that you are describing would be the kind of race that I would not attend. I am anxious to see how the big TT race at KOH works out next year, but I sure do not want to spend it crammed into an area with 5,000 other folks watching the desert action on a dang jumbo-tron screen.

I think the TT race at KOH is maybe testing the waters for the future series of Trophy Trucks by themselves? But who knows? Most races have some kind of jumbo tron showing the areas of the track that cannot be viewed. Just an added feature. Not saying pack people in to watch a huge TV. I'm just looking at other forms of motor sport and seeing where off road racing seems to be missing out. Outdoor motocross for example, fans everywhere spread around the whole track, access to different parts you can walk to! Another example is Crandon International. That venue pulls in way more fans then your typical west coast short course race. But you can sit on the grass with your own chair for like $15 a day. They also have a camping area. They focus on what is important for the spectator as well as the racers. Back in the 90's and early 2000's The SCORE Laughlin Desert Challenge would attract a ton of people. Free loader hill was similar to the grass hills you see at road courses / MX tracks and people spectating from back of their truck, RV, lawn chairs, etc.

Reaction
Bring back Riverside!

Just use the mall for the race course.

ThatSpaceMexican

Reaction
Unfortunately this is an issue of appeasing the masses. We are willing to travel hours to see our favorite racers go past for 10 seconds. But the average person isn't willing to do so. The average person just wants more of the same. The general public just wants what they know and aren't interested in something that challenges conventions. This goes beyond their favorite flavor of motorsport. the entertainment industry knows this so well, which is why you don't go to the radio to listen to the best music (not counting classics stations or sometimes college radio). Same with television. Unfortunately the average North American is a philistine. Not that something popular isn't bad. Short course racing is popular, and just similar enough for the North American pallet. Maybe it isn't worth it to try and market to the general public. Maybe we should continue to get more "experimental" like with King of the Hammers and Frozen Rush. If its good, people will come. Would you rather bend to the whims of dullards and do more of the same, or do what you want and have people find it naturally. Like if you started a band, would you rather listen to a record company, have little creative control, but make huge amounts of money and sell out arenas. Or do what you want to do, even if you never make it outside your hometown

Wendell #527

Reaction
Sorry, but I don’t want desert racing to appeal to the masses. It ruins it. The UTV influx is bad enough. I’m just happy as it is. Just enough interest to keep it going but not enough to ruin it. I don’t want short courses, let that be a separate sport. I want long distance open races like the B1K. I don’t want it to blow up with exposure. Too much exposure, too big of crowds, things happen, more controls get put in place. Less freedom. Call something paradise, kiss it goodbye.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Desert racing is a regional sport. You might get a few folks from Maine of Florida or Tennessee who see it and say they want to do it, but reality is, the folks who want to race in the desert are the ones who live near it and recreate on it regularly. Short course is a little different because you can create that just about anywhere, but it still hasn't grown to be a sport of the masses. King of the Hammers displays this- Rock Crawling and Rock Racing happens across the country, from the Northeast to to the Southwest and all over in between, so it has more mass appeal. It is approachable by new people in an easier fashion. TT racing is not nearly the level of professional as say F1, but it seems as if it is financially for someone new to the sport. NASCAR creates followers because it still sells the idea that anyone can build a street or hobby stock and be the next Daytona winner after a few years of running the bull rings on Fridays and Saturdays. It keeps the dream going and the sport grows with it.

Dirty Harry

Reaction
IMO I think the lack of growth into the mainstream has a lot to do with race format and track layout... I know I am going to gain some haters here but I think the reason our sport does not get the recognition it deserves has a lot to do with the amount of land the organizers use to create a race... I think more races like BAP, Rage, LDC, should be the focus rather then long distance races.

What you are describing is short course racing. And in fact the format does seem to attract a lot more spectators than traditional desert racing. I think that anyone who gets involved in off-road racing looking to be rich and famous is going to be disappointed. 99% of the guys in every class are self funded and doing it because they love it. I don't see that changing in the near future, but I don't really think that it needs to either.