So Cal Divorce help

tedmales

Reaction
I have a buddy who came home from work today to find his wife had packed her stuff and moved out. She gave no warnings ( at least he did not catch them as most men don't ) and they both want it done. Anyone know a good lawyer in the Escondido area. They have agreed on the terms, and she want to move away asap. She wants him to give her some money so she can leave. I told him not to give her a dime until he speaks with a lawyer, but he is afraid she will get mad and want more. They have a house, but she just wants her car, their dogs, and $7,000 to leave. I say money well spent on his end, but I still think he should get better legal advice. Can anyone recommend somebody who could draw the paperwork up and get this done fast. At least the paperwork part so she could sign it, and he could decide to pay her or not.

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
I have a buddy who came home from work today to find his wife had packed her stuff and moved out. She gave no warnings ( at least he did not catch them as most men don't ) and they both want it done. Anyone know a good lawyer in the Escondido area. They have agreed on the terms, and she want to move away asap. She wants him to give her some money so she can leave. I told him not to give her a dime until he speaks with a lawyer, but he is afraid she will get mad and want more. They have a house, but she just wants her car, their dogs, and $7,000 to leave. I say money well spent on his end, but I still think he should get better legal advice. Can anyone recommend somebody who could draw the paperwork up and get this done fast. At least the paperwork part so she could sign it, and he could decide to pay her or not.
Best advice.......STAY OUT OF IT!!!

ML Racer

Reaction
If they can agree to split things down the middle and move on, that's the best way to handle it. As soon as you get lawyer's in the mix, they are the only ones that benefit from a divorce! But, if that's all she wants, give it to her, have her sign at quit claim on the house and party on!!

450grl

Reaction
I did my divorce myself....downloaded the papers off of the Courthouse website, had them served, and since we agreed on pretty much everything......no lawyers got any of our money. I don't know if you can do the same thing in CA, but it's worth the effort and you might learn a few things along the way......

Dezertpilot

Reaction
She wants the dogs?! F that!!!!!!

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I did my divorce myself....downloaded the papers off of the Courthouse website, had them served, and since we agreed on pretty much everything......no lawyers got any of our money. I don't know if you can do the same thing in CA, but it's worth the effort and you might learn a few things along the way......
this is good advice... If ya want some expensive advice I can help talk to the right guy. My Pops is a criminal lawyer here and has a good amount of contacts in CA. He has helped a few RDCers find the right help Gratis.

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
this is good advice... If ya want some expensive advice I can help talk to the right guy. My Pops is a criminal lawyer here and has a good amount of contacts in CA. He has helped a few RDCers find the right help Gratis.
"My dad can beat up your dad." :D

Seriously, I like TreyP and DezertPilots advice best.... LOL!

I am pretty sure my parents did it without lawyers as well, so as long as it ain't ugly, why not give it a try first?

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Reaction
I did all of my own paperwork... in California as long as everything appears to be split at least 40/60 the courts will approve it without the other being present. If you can get her to sign off on a Marital Settlement Agreement that states all assets, debts, bank accounts, etc and who will receive what then he will be one step closer.

He can at least start the filing process which takes forever! I would recommend that he not give her any money only because anything he gives her now will not be taken into consideration later (should she decide-oh now I want half the house)

Link to agreement with no kids:
http://www.ilrg.com/forms/divorce-nc-setag/us/ca

Link to Vista Court House Divorce Paperwork (they will walk you through EVERYTHING):
http://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/portal/page?_pageid=55,1524206&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

If they have been married for less than 5 years it's SOOO simple if they have been married longer it's quite a bit harder... my x waited until our 5 year anniversary (thus making my life further hell) :rolleyes: hahaa but it's done and over with and life is better!

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
I did my own also in Calif. cost me $72.00...

450grl

Reaction
Another option is a mediator...if there are a few issues which they find it hard to discuss/agree upon, a mediator is much less expensive than a lawyer,can do all of your paperwork and filing for you, and is also a third party who can sort of help validate any disagreements that crop up. Sometimes when it's hard for the couple to sit down and actually talk to each other, they talk to the mediator as the go between....

Just another idea.....

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
$72 :eek: they charged me $350!!! LAME LOL :rolleyes:
Dad bought the book (How to do yer own divorce in Calif. $35.00 i think)
He didn't use it, I did! $72 total filing fees!!

BTW...1972:)

Best $$$$ ever spent!

charlie_brown

Reaction
How long were they married?
that could play a good part if you go to an attorney.

They still can have an attorney if they go to a mediator. The mediator might kept the attorneys more honest.

i have to go with the stay out of.

just remember, marriage is grand but, divorce is 40 grand.

i divorced after 10years. (wife turned wacky). i kept the house, prerunner, tools, dog, and the best part, i have full legal custody and control of our daughter.

she got all of my money, roths, 401Ks and all that.

we went to a mediator. best way.

Oh, and I lost my job of 18+ years over her BS. Had to start over with a 35% cut.

BajaBronco13

Reaction
Damn he's getting off dirt cheap for $7k. I would say pay up and call it done.

Laurie

Reaction
I think I would consult an attorney, especially since he didn't suspect anything. Woman can be pretty manipulative. And later come back and ask for more. My father in law is going through a nightmare right now because he thought she'd be fair, now she's turned into a shark. My daughter did her own divorce too with no problem. What ever he does make sure he protects himself immediately.

tedmales

Reaction
UPDATE

He talked to a few of the contractors who work for him ( he builds houses, right now he is building a house for some Prince from the middle east in Beverly Hills) and most of the people came up with the same name. They said this woman was a bulldog in court, and would make his wife wish she was never married. He met with her today. The lawyer said not to pay his wife a dime. They were married 5 years last month, and since he found paperwork showing she had rented a storage unit early last month it they think she waited the extra month to get more money out of him. The lawyer said the $7k was most likely for her lawyer, not for her to spilt town. He said it cost him $5k today, but his lawyer told him that the wife would most likely ask for more money later even if she did want the $7k to split town. Its gonna be ugly.