So, is this a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
Prerunning the first 40 on Friday afternoon. Just crossed Morelia Jct on Zoo in my Bronco. 55-60 mph cruising in the 'right' lane. Helicopter starts flying over us...no biggie someone prerunning will be coming along. I make sure to hold my line and stay right.

Heli starts getting alot more aggressive, on the deck, passenger starts flailing their arms for us to move.

After about 30 seconds of being floored that Im getting waved over by a heli, pre running, while Im doing 60 in a spot with 150 lines going the same direction, I pull over to slow down.

Only to have a meh pre runner go by me in the exact lane I was in at MAYBE 65-70.

Ive been fortunate to pre run with some of our sports legit legends. Never seen anyone act like that.

Is it a thing? Was I supposed to be so in awe of their superiority and obvious right to their personal route through the desert that I should have immediately left the course and genuflect on my way out?

If you cant pass a street legal Bronco on zoo road in a Trophy Truck. You might be in the wrong sport.

Turns out, I said almost the exact same words...to the same guy...in the drivers meeting at KOH.

I honestly dont care if it costs me this racers entry fees or anyone else that is offended that I called him out.

You shouldn't fly around like an idiot, especially if your name is on the side of your helicopter. Shane Redline

Tube ride

Reaction
Airborne Richard cranium . Ok team redline make good apologies and quick .

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
SCORE seems to agree with you on their post race penalty list. Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 10.07.57 AM.png

E.Hagle

Reaction
My girlfriend comes to every race and she never fails to mention how this sport has so many people that have a falsely inflated egos. This seems to be a shining case of exactly that. Treat people with respect, because the one time you don’t the guys name might be Dave Cole or Roger Norman.

JDDurfey

Reaction
I was standing in the BFG pit right by Mike's road waiting on my ride in 07 when the chopper flew into the power lines that cross Mike's road. We started one place behind the Class 1 car they were spotting for. They purposely made dust with the chopper several times to keep my teammate back. Seeing the people laid out on the ground in the wreckage as we came by was not a pretty sight!

Flying dangerously around spectators is not cool.

Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
From a pilots perspective I was surprised at some of the stuff I saw out of Shane in his yellow R44. Lots of unnecessary risk and hot dogging. But I am a conservative pilot and may be biased against this kind of flying.

There is a saying in general aviation- There are bold pilots and old pilots but never both.

Mike

Rcamp99

Reaction
I’ve had a choppers skid maybe 4feet above my antenna at a Laughlin race before. My girlfriend commonly stands on the bed rail of my truck to take a video or two and if she stuck her arms up would of been able to grab onto the helicopter. I don’t understand the obsession with flying so low. Shane and jax are good people, hopefully this is a wake up call. Second penalty for helicopter related things they’ve gotten.

Last edited:

43mod

Reaction
If they dont care about this post at all then ...............

One-Eyed Peter

Reaction
Bummer to hear. The sport is already dangerous enough without manufacturing risk unnecessarily. Not to mention just being a jerk move. Respect your competitors and the desert. It’s a small world out there.

Tube ride

Reaction
Baja is wild and that’s what makes it good , I don’t care how you fly down there but to harass another competitor while prerunning is a rich pompous entitled dick move .

E.Hagle

Reaction
I love that Baja is wild as well, and I know that when I’m going down a power line road with 3ft whoops I’m putting myself and possibly spectators at risk, but I’m still accountable for my actions and I still need to know the boundaries and limits to the situation as a racer and as a human being with empathy and compassion. Waiting at the driver change at Morelia I witnessed unbelievable stupidity including stuck 2wd rangers head on with race traffic on course, people stopping while crossing the course etc. Flying erratically like a cokehead with a deathwish is in the same boat as far as I’m concerned.

jon coleman

Reaction
if it was me i woulda pulled over, got out and flaged him down like an EMERGENCY, when tt circled back, i would have the hood open, i woulda waved em out & over, as they approached, I'd ask, ' pardon me, do you have any grey poupon'??, no, really , you want to Ever meet the Most genuine down to earth guy its Jimmie Johnson, what you have seen over the decades is the same guy i met in 96, humble, unassuming, nice person that has respect, period, that helo stunt is a learning lesson i hope

Status
Not open for further replies.