• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic So, where are we supposed to race now?

Jack

There are some battles we can fight but fighting the growth of a city because there are more people and more money is an impossible fight. They will win, you can only delay what will eventually happen. So do you waste time money and energy that could be used to fight a battle you can win somewhere else.

From the sidelines. It would seam that BITD, SNORE and Mad Media, the groups who race in the impacted area would be working with BLM-City-County department to develop a plan for a New and maybe improved area for the events. Persons involved in BITD and SNORE have the most experience in the workings and dealing with the BLM, City and county planers. ( They know the Ropes) When a simple Laughlin SNORE race has an economic impact of 18 Million, I can only imagine what the Mint 400, KC Highlites, Vegas to Reno, Battle at Prim and the Henderson 250 combined must have a impact of 150 million for Las Vegas. Nothing to shake a stick at, but not even close to the sales and development of the land development area. The train left the station a long time ago on this land deal, Las Vegas is land locked and persons involved in the sport must move forward to develop areas for future generations to race. The city needs the BLM land deal to grow as much as The racing community needs a (land deal) to continue its sport, development and growth of the racing industries. The industry as a whole must have a combined impact of well over Billion dollars.

J Prich

JPrich, I can appreciate your sugar vs vinegar approach in most cases, but in this matter it really doesn't seem to matter as many over the years have tried various approaches with the same results. Well what Grant states is true, that there are more valuable options that the community and industry could avail themselves of: The industry and community have been apathetic towards a majority of those options including even those directions that require the least amount of effort such as petitions or donations.

Yes, there are better options but we need to show we at least care, and at this point we aren't presenting any opposition or showing we care enough to voice any measurable outcry.

FYI, 100's of private emails and PM's have been sent proactively giving updates on meetings, issues and begging a majority of the manufactures and community icons to get involved over the years. This included information on issues, meetings, organizations, requests to incite the masses via their social media platforms, options for getting involved at numerous levels as well as multiple advance requests on opportunities like the Marine 29 Palms meetings a few years ago and the response was negligible. Only a few of the industry suppliers or upper class teams have ever engaged.

As for being too pushy on these topics; some complained about the same position a few of us took regarding the DGAF mentality of MDR a few years back; and we all know how that ended...

Hopefully we leave enough of the sport around so that the next generations get a chance to enjoy what we took for granted
For what its worth I don't see my POV as a sugar approach. I live 30 min from Jean. One of the biggest reasons I wanted to get back to Vegas after leaving London was because I love having Jean as a backyard. Beyond racing, we spend a lot of time out there with family, friends, etc and seeing it gone would be devastating. Regardless of racing.
My point was more about reality in my opinion than it is about being nice. I'm saying over the past few decades things like online petitions and public comments have born no fruit. That's easily quantifiable. I'm not saying its not noble, just, righteous, etc. I'm just saying that if we're honest about it, at the end of the day it's yielded the OHV community virtually nothing. For a variety of reasons. So while it feels good to be doing "something" I personally temper that with the reality that the something I'm doing/have done really isn't moving the needle. The second piece is that while attempting to shame the "big timers" in the sport for not having a more active presence in these fights also feels good, it too has yielded exactly nothing. In fact, most of the heavy hitters that people are calling out here don't come here anyway. So beyond making ourselves feel good for pointing the finger at them, it produces nothing tangible. So for me again, it's wasted effort. How many more posts do we need to make to call out all of the TT teams, industry partners, etc to come get involved in more meaningful ways, that will have an impact? My opinion is there is really no amount. I respect people who want to keep fighting what they see as the good fight but again as a realist the bottom line for me is that A) the online stuff and public comments are ultimately fruitless and B) no amount of RDC posts pointed at the "elite" is going to prompt them to get more publically engaged on these issues.

Just my personal POV. At the end of the day we're all fighting the same fight and want the same things, we just have different perspectives on the execution of it.

I had to work and miss the meeting. Was there a rep from the UTV, VORE and Odessey off road companies. They sell packages to tourists to come drive an off road vehicle around the MINT 400 course. (another reason course was so dug in this year) I would imagine this will have an effect on their business model.

johndjmix

Colorado would be awesome! We are based in Colorado so for once we will have the short drive! Same with Utah.

I joke that came up among my friends was a race, “Vegas to Denver”. Of course this would be next to impossible to pull off but would be amazing. Leave Vegas, Blast through all that Utah desert, then have to deal with late season snow as you get over the Rockies, then down the hill towards Denver.....he race would hit hwy 6 right by Denver with fans lining the bridges over the hwy to watch. The finish would route the course into the stadium where the broncos play.

This would be an amazing event rivaling Baja but yea it’s a dream. I’m not sure anyone other than the president could pull that off.

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

ACME

For what its worth I don't see my POV as a sugar approach. I live 30 min from Jean. One of the biggest reasons I wanted to get back to Vegas after leaving London was because I love having Jean as a backyard. Beyond racing, we spend a lot of time out there with family, friends, etc and seeing it gone would be devastating. Regardless of racing.
My point was more about reality in my opinion than it is about being nice. I'm saying over the past few decades things like online petitions and public comments have born no fruit. That's easily quantifiable. I'm not saying its not noble, just, righteous, etc. I'm just saying that if we're honest about it, at the end of the day it's yielded the OHV community virtually nothing. For a variety of reasons. So while it feels good to be doing "something" I personally temper that with the reality that the something I'm doing/have done really isn't moving the needle. The second piece is that while attempting to shame the "big timers" in the sport for not having a more active presence in these fights also feels good, it too has yielded exactly nothing. In fact, most of the heavy hitters that people are calling out here don't come here anyway. So beyond making ourselves feel good for pointing the finger at them, it produces nothing tangible. So for me again, it's wasted effort. How many more posts do we need to make to call out all of the TT teams, industry partners, etc to come get involved in more meaningful ways, that will have an impact? My opinion is there is really no amount. I respect people who want to keep fighting what they see as the good fight but again as a realist the bottom line for me is that A) the online stuff and public comments are ultimately fruitless and B) no amount of RDC posts pointed at the "elite" is going to prompt them to get more publically engaged on these issues.

Just my personal POV. At the end of the day we're all fighting the same fight and want the same things, we just have different perspectives on the execution of it.

Maybe the reason we have not had any victories is; we are not engaged like we (bike and 4x4 community) used to be...

The fact is the off road race car community has always been apathetic toward any cohesive action or support on these or most any issue that impacts the sport.

Your comment: "I'm just saying that if we're honest about it, at the end of the day it's yielded the OHV community virtually nothing. For a variety of reasons. So while it feels good to be doing "something" I personally temper that with the reality that the something I'm doing/have done really isn't moving the needle." is like telling a kid, don't try and that way you'll never be disappointed or a boxer, just sit there and take your beating because your not going to win. If the Marines had that mentality at Belleau and the Marne it'd be a different world.

As for calling people out: I guess your right as, as a percentage they are about as engaged as the majority of the car community. We afford them a certain status so why assume they should act any different than the rank and file. Just odd as usually if someone's business or status is threatened, they usually at least engage at some level?

The reality is you can do nothing and you'll be assured of the outcome, try hard and put the effort in and you may surprise yourself and others at what you can accomplish...

rkracing

On the topic of new places to race at, has anyone looked into organizing a race on indian land by Yuma? There is a good chunk of desert by the river on the California side that im sure a 50 mile course could be plotted on. Plus it is in a central location from San Diego to Las Vegas and Pheonix. Could be a good option for a race venue in the future.