• Forum membership has its advantages....

So Who Are The Best Drivers In All Of Motorsports?

Who are the best over all drivers in all of motorsports?

• NHRA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ROAD RACE(can-am, trans-am, touring, GT, etc.)

• CART

• DIRT OVAL

• OTHER........

• Total voters

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
<font color=red>The question has come up in conversation a million times. So its time to take a poll of the RDC crowd to see what their opinion’s are. Take the poll and leave your comments.</font color=red>

<font color=red>Shaun<font color=red>

Gabe Lara

Re: So Who Are The Best Drivers In All Of Motorspo

Funny you bring this up, Shaun.

Some friends of mine had this conversation bench racing a few weekends ago at our local watering hole.
I was arguing the fact that so many off-road racers are overlooked due to the lack of coverage, and yet their point was that World Rally racers attack courses with no pre-running! Just the navigator barking out whats coming up around the next bend.

Personally, my favorites are the off-road drivers. I've never met a better, more well grounded, professional, AND approachable, group of motorsports professionals.

scott

Rally guys by far....... No pre-running, using the course the way they do in all types of weather,(snow,rain,100+ degrees), hanging slides in an AWD car isn't no cake walk. 2nd for me would be CART, I think their more aggressive than the F1 guys.....then Offroad, probably because its so grueling, and your trying to keep up a 50+ MPH pace thoughout the event. Don't get me wrong though I'm sure a guy like Larry Ragland could in fact drive rally, or even any other sport of driving......just my opinion !!!

P.S.>>>> I still take offroad over any of them.......just my preference

Rory

Crayola Killer
Gabe, are you sure they don't "prerun" in Rally racing? I remember watching one quite a while back and the driver and navigator were prerunning in a white "prerun rally car" writing down race notes. I could be wrong, just wondering.

bajaboy

Actually , depending on the sanctioning body , the co-driver / navigator is only allowed to pre-run the course in rally racing .

Jimmy8

I wouldn't go as far to say that rally drivers are better than off road guys. First of all, a lot of desert racing is graded roads, and rally style driving. 2nd guys like Larry ragland and Rod Millen came from off road and now dominate Pikes Peak. 3rd I can remember when Ivan Stewart use to enter his TT in rally races and just run away with the win and piss the rally guys off. I also believe dave Ashley has done some rally racing also, because I can remember seeing an SCCA patch on his drivers uniform. Take Colin Mcrae and enter him in the TT 250 next year in trophy truck and he wouldnt do worth a crap, but enter someone like troy herbst or rob macachren in a rally race and I guarentee you they would do well. Just look at the off roaders that have crossed over and the results speak for themselves.

rdc

My poll says "World Rally", not SCCA. No pre-running. Not all graded road's. And an off-road racer doing well first time out? I seriously doubt it.

rdc

<font color=red>GOT SILT?</font color=red>

martininsocal

guys-world rally drivers are allowed to prerun. they then add speeds to their crib notes so they have an idea how fast to enter the next turn, even blind. scca rally drivers are not allowed to prerun. they have to rely solely on race notes given just before the stage. as for the question of whether colin macrae could drive offroad? put him in a trophy truck and i bet within 1/2 an hour he would be very fast. the trucks are very forgiving and once he learned the balace point for turning, he would be up to speed. as for millen, he had a very expanssive rally history before he came to the u.s. lots of gravel in new zealand. and as you can see from r. gordon, if you have talent, you have talent. once you learn the basics and have the natural talent to use them, you go fast, regardless of the surface. ivan stewart used to compete in world rally races in a ford f150 prerun truck and did quite well, even on the pavement sections. its too bad he didn't look into other forms of racing also. as to best drivers, period, there are none right now.

If your gonna go, go BIG

rdc

<font color=red>THERE IS NO PRE-RUNNING ALOWED IN WRC. NOT OF ANY KIND, NOT EVEN BY HELLOCOPTER. ANY TEAM COUGHT AND PROVED TO HAVE DONE SO IN DQ'D FROM THAT EVENT</font color=red>

Junior

Robby Gordon has to be one of the best drivers I have ever known of. Robby has been competitive with the best drivers in so many different types of racing. NASCAR, CART, Off-Road and lets nor forget the whipping he put on so many of the worlds top drivers in the ___________ series. (I can't remember the name) You know the series where the top drivers in several types of racing compete in spec Trans Am's? (Brain Fart) Is there anyone else who has done so well in so many different forms of auto racing?

Junior
EJR Racing #244

rdc

That would be IROC.

mike_hinson

How about the Mears Gang from Bakersfield? Rick and Roger have a lot of experience under their belts. From the Mint to Indy to Pikes Peak, etc.

Gabe Lara

Re: So Who Are The Best Drivers In All Of Motorspo

Good point, Mike.
I remember them taking names in the Stadiums as well......In their buggies.

TimHayosh

Shawn said: THERE IS NO PRE-RUNNING ALLOWED IN WRC. NOT OF ANY KIND, NOT EVEN BY HELICOPTER. ANY TEAM CAUGHT AND PROVED TO HAVE DONE SO WILL BE DQ'D FROM THAT EVENT

How then do the co-drivers get such good notes? They call it "recce". (That's short for reconaissance..I think.) This hardly seems to be the place to discuss WRC technicalities. I will agree that the WRC drivers seem to exhibit car control that is second to none...pre-run or not. It wouldn't matter if I lived on that road, I couldn't drive it like them. It's a different sport. I won't compare it to off-roading; my chosen obsession.

Greg

How 'bout bike guys; Mick Doohan, Mat Maladin, McGrath if and when bike guys go to cars they usally excell right to the top of thier class. Its funny how bike guys jump in a car and do well but car guys never go to bikes. And what about sptint cars, 700 hp in a 1200# car with not a lot of traction going 70 mph into a turn, sounds harder to do than the laughin leap. And as far as "off-road" goes the CORR pro-2 guys must be great drivers to go as fast as they do and still keep it on the track.

Greg

EQuin

Hey Greg,

Now that you mention CORR, Rod Millen comes to mind. He races CORR and used to race Pike's Peak, among many other different types of racing. But for what it's worth, I voted for off-road racers as the best of the group, even though I must admit I'm biased since it's my favorite form of motorsports racing. And speaking of rally races, have y'all seen some of the cars that enter the Paris-Dakar races? Some look as though they're almost stock! If so, and they manage to finish that brutal race, they must be some awesome drivers.

Take care,

Ed

Jimmy8

Robby did very well in IROC, but he really became well known as a driver in the IMSA series where he drove that Whistler Mustang. I even think he won his very first race. He is the road course master.

rdc

I did a little research and stand corrected on the whole pre-run thing with the WRC. Since this isn't a Rally forum, I will just put up the link for those who are interested.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.fia.com/regle/REG_SPT/WRC-2001-a.pdf>http://www.fia.com/regle/REG_SPT/WRC-2001-a.pdf</A>

scott

I would really like to see what a rally car would do in a mexico-style race where there is more graded stuff, like along Ojo's Negros, they would probably do good through a section like that. Then they'd eat the big one going through, El Compadre Trail, and similar sections, because of the ground clearance, and wheel travel. But this tread isn't about the car but the drivers. I figure the rally guys driving in the snow is faster than most of the desert guys on dry conditions. This is an intresting tread, on who would do better converting over from one form of racing to another........