SoCal/ San Diego Riding areas

Ryno

Reaction
After finally seeing the cops this weekend where I have been riding for over three years (Across from the Perris Airport), I am needing a new local place to ride. For all my full trips I go to Ocotillo, but for just a short day, or to break in a new top end, I need a place close (within an hour), and somewhat legal. I have heard alot about Corona and Lakeside, other than that...what is around??? Thanks ahead of time!!

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

sirhk100

Reaction
The closest spot to you that I know and it's actually legal is Pamu Valley. You know where the Ramona Dump is? Go past it down the windy road to the bottom of the valley. Right at the bottom there's a staging area on the left. Unload there and head out in the hills. It's mostly fire roads and not that great but it's good for breaking in bikes. Watch out though it's legal to shoot out there too. Think about it, riding down the road shooting at the same time, GOOD TIMES!!!!

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

martininsocal

Reaction
Ryan- exactly where were you riding near the airport? Perris PD has no jurusdiction if you were on the BLM land. And I was told that the area near Windy Point still has some open area. You have to be either west of Snow Creek Rd. or North of the Train Tracks. The closed areas are posted with BLM closed area signs. It is not a huge area, but there is varied terrain (some dunes, sand wash, open desert)
Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Ryno

Reaction
Martin-

I was riding off of Goetz Rd, then west by about a 1/4 mile. I'd love to know exactly where this other spot is, a small area is better than nothing! Any seat time I get is ALWAYS a good thing. =)

Ryan

martininsocal

Reaction
Ryan- Windy Point used to be a popular play area a few years back, but much of it is closed down now. It is near where HWY 111 and Interstate 10 split, the cut-off to Palm Springs. Actually a good place to go. We will be doing some testing for my buddies 5 car out there soon.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
what area by the air port?

I used to go down by the air port and hang a left on the wash that goes back to canyon lake. there is a place on both sides of the wash to park. the south side has trees and the north side is kinda fenced off and kinda sandy. is this the spot you were in ryan? or is this the "legal" area martin?

Gregg

elcaprerunner

Reaction
martin- Is the area at the I-10 and 111 split Whitewater? I thought Whitewater has been closed for a while now? Or is it that big sandy area up against the hill on the right ( if you are going east) that you are talking about? Let me know, cause as you know I live in Idyllwild and that sounds like the best, closest spot besides the riverbed in Hemet, infact it sounds better than the riverbed in Hemet.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

martininsocal

Reaction
For Canyon Lake- the area north of the slalom course around the lake is BLM and you can ride there. For the area near whitewater, aka-windy point, Yes, much of that area has closed, but we just talked to the BLM about what id closed/open- theer answer is that anything north of the RxR tracks is open as well as anything west of Snow Creek Rd. The area north of the tracks is kinda small, just some powerline Rds, etc...The area west od Snow Creek has a little of everything, just don't climb on the windmills!!!!

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

sirhk100

Reaction
I heard off another board that Coral Canyon/ Morena Valley has basically been graded into a highway. All the single track trails have been plowed and widened. That sucks if this is true!!!

Khris

Ryno

Reaction
Khris-

I haven't been there for probably 4 years. Those were some fun little trails...I almost forgot it was over there until you said something. I'm gonna try another place I heard of over in Lakeside too...my next trip to the rock won't be until the last weekend of March, too much sidework right now!!

Ryan

michael_loomis

Reaction
i was at corral canyon / lake morena a few months ago and it was fine , only a portion was graded. i had a friend go a couple weeks ago , and he said the same , "it has been graded" .

leftwing55

Reaction
Well, I guess I'm a bit farther north than you are (i.e. north of L.A.) and we do a majority of our riding out in California City, Red Rock, and Johnson Valley. Just in case anyone up this way is interested..

<font color=green> When the GREEN flag drops the BS stops. </font color=green>

sirhk100

Reaction
I've been to Johnson Valley countless times. I like the ride up RattleSnake Canyon to big bear. Also the lake bed with all the bomb craters kicks ass!!!!

mxjeremy

Reaction
The dry lake with the craters is Mean's. Soggy dry lake is the next one over. Means is the best though because you are minutes from the hammer trails, the dune, and right there in the craters. The crater track is the best place to race playbikes around with your buddies. Just watch driving thru means at night, some of those craters will swallow your whole truck.
late.

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah, that place would probably be insane on 50s... I love it cause you can link the craters into a skate park for bikes. The dune is pretty big behind the one hill. Have you been to the smaller set of dunes in between the lake beds? The Hammers are just plain impressive knowing vehicles go up that crap...

mxjeremy

Reaction
I don't think I've been to the dunes between the lakes. We like the big dune because of the ridge that runs up the middle of it. Take a big sweeping curve from the right to left and hit the ridge and you can get some pretty good air. My buddy took his highly modified ford ranger up sledge. We walked it with him the whole way. It was pretty amazing for the first 10min, but after that we were bored and just wanted to get out of there and go riding.
late.

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah, that kinda bowl ridge has a good lip...

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I just got back from moutain biking in the Sweetwater area and on the way home I saw a few guys riding 50's and a quad right where the 54 and the 805 meet. Had a bunch of little kickers and stuff. Looked kinda fun...

See ya in the dirt!

mgobaja

Reaction
If your talking about the land in the Southwest corner of the 54 and 805 intersection, it is private land and is fenced off.

leftwing55

Reaction
I just got back from picking up some tires in Hemet (Thanks again Robert) and driving down the 79 (Beaumont Ave.) from the 10 Fwy. I came across a bunch of riders off on California Ave. I don't know how big of an area is back there but there were some guys getting some good air. Just a thought if you're in the area. (Beaumont off the 10 FWY.)

<font color=green> When the GREEN flag drops the BS stops. </font color=green>