SoCal transmission shops?

sirhk100

Reaction
Well in another post I read about Trans. Pros and Art Carr for doing transmission work. I'm going to check into them but does anyone else have any recomendations for shops to build a heavy duty/race quality AL4D (if there is such a thing) in San Diego, OC, Riverside, San Bernadino, etc. I'll probably be ready to drop the POS off this Friday so some ideas would be great. Also any advice on places to absolutely NOT take it?

Khris

Oh, contact info would be awesome too.

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by sirhk100 on 07/13/02 11:06 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Kbach66

Reaction
Mogi Transmissions in riverside. The last I heard...he was doing all of the pro truck trannies after they were having problems with B&M (Weren't they the original builders?). Since the change, I haven't heard of any problems.

Talk to Ken....and be sure to bring your checkbook!!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Finding a race shop to work on that transmission is gonna be tuff unless youare friends with them. The A4LD is a horrible transmission for what "we" do with them and most reputable race transmission shops will tell you that straight up and then say "we dont build them, go to Aamco".

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah, I know these transmission's aren't exactly prime.... A little heat and they go to hell. I'm hoping I can find someone that's willing to do something to make mine a little more reliable.

Khris

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

Ryno

Reaction
Khris-

talk to Dale @ Oceanside transmission. They are a great shop. The only other one is Art Carr down in Lakeside. They do awesome stuff as well. I honestly think there are 2 things that really help a transmission...Keeping it cool, and getting it to shift firm, but not neck snapping. When a transmission shifts smooth....it's using more of the clutch pak, hence more wear. Most of the time...the 3-4 band goes on the newer OD trannies. Changing the fluid with every other oil change doesn't hurt either.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

sirhk100

Reaction
Thanks for the info, My transmission is still good actually (I think, I'll have it on the ground this afternoon) I'm pretty sure that I lost the torque convertor but while it's out I figure I might as well have it built up. I'm already running a aftermarket cooler and I've got a guage on it so I can tell when I need to give it a break or get outta the gas a little. I also agree with the firm shifts letting it run better and cooler. That will definately be one of the things I'll be talking about having done.

Do you happen to have a phone # for oceanside transmission? I'm hoping to call around tomorrow and maybe decide who I'm taking it to.

Khris

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

Greg

Reaction
There is a shop in Lancaster, Mike's Transmissions, that does a lot of work on the the OD trannys. Call Brothers Performance in Corona, they also should know who does good work.

Greg

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
I have always been told that around my area Temecula, that Rancho Transmisson is the place to go. He is on the side of the jeffries TT and from mine and my dads experience he does pretty good work.
Phone # is 676-6569. Area code (909)

Gregg

sirhk100

Reaction
Thanks for all the info anyone feel free to keep it coming.....

Some clarifications,

Oceanside transmission.... Is this the same as Oceanside Transmission Unlimited? @ 229 S.Coast Hwy.
760-722-7176

Gregg, Brothers Performance, is this the same as Brothers Performance Wharehouse?
2012 Railroad St. 909-735-8880

Art Carr transmissions, Is this the one in Fountain Valley? I'd heard they were in Lakeside (San Diego)

Culhane???? I've had a couple people recommend this. Is this a name of a person or shop? I can't find any contact info. Anything would be great.

This is all info I got off www.yellowpages.com so I wanted to make sure I'm calling the right places tomorrow.

Khris

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

toddz

Reaction
Art Carr's now in Huntington Beach. DO NOT deal with the Art Carr jokers in Reno/Texas(they bought his original business 4-5 years ago and have run it into the ground).

Steve Culhane is in Lake Elsinore. 18273 Grand Ave. Unit 6. 909-678-1669. I had him do some work on a C4 valve body for me a few years back. He did good work, was fast, and reasonably priced. At the time he was building trannies for Robby Gordon and the Herbsts.

Todd Z.