Solar power plants

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
The current cost effective solar technology requires lots of space (think old satelite dishes). There are more expensive options that are more compact (think mars rover) but are if I remember correctly a net energy loss when manufacturing is considered. We need to push the development and cost reduction of the compact version that can be placed on top of existing urban structures.

This eliminates long transmission lines, inefficient open space usage, and puts us at the forefront of technology and manufacturing in the field.

Imperial county has a goal to be the #1 solar energy producer in the southwest. Without a major roadblock to their plans Plaster city will be gone and the sunrise powerlink will be built to feed the energy through San Diego.

Reaction
version that can be placed on top of existing urban structures.

This eliminates long transmission lines, inefficient open space usage, and puts us at the forefront of technology and manufacturing in the field.

From the Wickenburg SUN:

Solar power on agenda

By Janet DelTufo, Assistant Editor

When the Wickenburg Town Council next meets, it will listen to a presentation and take possible action in establishing a solar power program for the town.

The meeting will take place at Town Hall Monday (April 20) and will begin at 5:30 p.m.

Councilman Scott Stewart asked that the issue of solar power be placed on the agenda after Wickenburg residents Armand and Suzanne LeCrone said they were told by the town that they could not utilize solar power while receiving electricity from the town grid.

In a letter, the LeCrones stated that they were refused the opportunity to supplement their electricity consumption with solar panels.

“It is difficult to enumerate the reasons given for denying a solar hookup with the Wickenburg power grid,” the couple wrote. “There were several, they were confusing, but none sounded insurmountable.”

It is unclear with whom the LeCrones spoke at Town Hall, but Town Manager Gary Edwards said that anyone who receives electricity by way of the town grid is allowed to supplement their electric needs with solar power.

“From what I read in the letter, it was worded to say that we denied the LeCrones the opportunity to utilize solar power, and that is not correct,” Edwards said. “We have had one public meeting regarding solar power. It was decided that the town would not offer rebate incentives for those who choose to utilize solar. However, it was stated during that same discussion that a resident could choose to utilize solar power if he or she lived in town and was on the town grid.”

Edwards said he expects the presentation and discussion to be complex and somewhat technical. He said Arizona Public Service and other power suppliers will be on hand for the presentation, and the town will learn what it needs to do in order to set up a solar power program.

The other aspect that will likely be discussed is the town’s obligation to pay customers for surplus electricity that is generated through solar power.

In a March news release from the Arizona Corporation Commission, the commission applauded the Arizona Attorney General’s approval of new rules that allow energy consumers to receive compensation for generating their own energy through renewable sources.

“The net metering rules, which would be required of all Arizona electric utility companies, would provide consumers with a key tool to help offset the costs of installing and generating renewable energy or combined heat and power cogeneration in their home or business, primarily through the use solar technology,” the release said.

According to the net metering rules, customers with renewable energy generation capabilities such as solar panels will have two-way meters installed that will measure both the electricity coming into a property and the energy going back to the grid.

This will allow customers to be credited for any excess generation that they send back to the regional electricity grid. Once a year, the customer’s utility company will issue a check or billing credit for the balance of any energy generated in excess of the customer’s usage.

“The approval of these rules is a huge win for consumers,” said Corporation Commissioner Paul Newman. “Now consumers have an added incentive for installing solar panels on their homes or business properties.”

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
From the Wickenburg SUN:

“Now consumers have an added incentive for installing solar panels on their homes or business properties.”

Exactly what needs to happen, solar panels on existing structures or properties not public land usage.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
I was on top of the issue to close Primm & Jean Nev. It takes 4 years for the process to go thru .Make a call to your reps!
http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en.html
Bureau of Land Management
California State Office
2800 Cottage Way, Suite W-1623
Sacramento, CA 95825-1886
Phone: (916) 978-4400
Fax: (916) 978-4416
TDD (916) 978-4419

dwasser

Reaction
It's already started in Plaster City. Steerling Energy has submitted an application that is already in the NEPA process. The area they want is on the South side of Evan Hewes Highway. It's 6500 acres. They are proposing to put in 18,000 solar dishes. The proposed start date in 2010:eek:

That area is currently limited use and will have to be re-designated for intense use for this to happen. In a meeting that I went to with all kinds of stakeholders the city and county reps stood up and voiced there support one after another.

Check out this link to the BLM website. It has stats on how many applications they have for renewable energy. http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/pa/energy.Par.63078.File.dat/Renew_Energy_2_09_summary.pdf.

It doesn't list what all the acronyms are but I can say it doesn't look good.

So. If you go from the boarder North it looks like this. If we loose Plaster City the next closest place to race in the US is Johnson Valley which is already fighting. If we loose Johnson Valley it's on to Nevada which is also already fighting. If we loose all three it's over.

dwasser

Reaction
Wow. Just read the article and it's worse then I thought. I run into surveyors all the time and they don't really want to say what they are doing out there. Guess I know now.

GlamisGurlie

goddess like
Reaction
We were going to run the Midnight Special out in Henderson just like we used to but were told by both Boulder City and Henderson "not gonna happen. It's over." We just lost the Boulder City/Henderson race area to expanding the solar plant that is already existing out there. No more racing in Henderson :mad:! This will then expand over the mountain into Jean - aka upper Knight Ranch Road and possibly lower pits... Kiss Jean goodbye in 4 years - guaranteed...

And I spoke with the BLM in Ridgecrest last week and they have 22 applications for solar/wind farms out there, but he assured me nothing YET that would encroach on the racing area...

This is a "go green" gift from the President :(

xjchaser

Reaction
WTF!!:mad: all the thousands of square miles of desert and they have to build where we have raced for years. And tell everyone were the bad guys cause we go out with our families and enjoy the beautiful desert. The ECO Nazi's probably never go out there but damned if anyone else can either. :confused:

Reaction
Calm down, we are doing this for you. Take your Soma, sit back and relax, the FEMA bus will be along shortly to take you "home."

Reaction
Why cant we just use the same land that around the plant

You are a risk to Homeland Security. Liability concerns demand that you report to your nearest reeducation site immediately.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
You are a risk to Homeland Security. Liability concerns demand that you report to your nearest reeducation site immediately.

"Your papers, pleeeze?"

What gets me is the "powers to be/that are," are totally
ignoring biodiesel, that can be WAY more cost effective than
geothermal, coal, etc. without ANY enviromental concerns. It
can be produced from algae.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
Here is the El Centro BLM enviromental assessment for the proposed solar plant at Plaster City, dated August 2008. Amazing, they will bulldoze over 6,000 acres of land but cause no significant impact on the enviroment.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media....81817.File.tmp/FONSI_DR_SES_Geotechnical.pdf

A few news articles I've read in the past couple of days show the number of collectors continuing to grow. The first two phases south of Evan Hewes will start at 12,000 collectors, SDG&E has options with Stirling Energy for up to 36,000. I wonder where they plan on installing them? According to this article last August, I guess we can blame the Irish!:D

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20080418-9999-1b18solar.html

Interesting the CBD does not officially take a stand for or against this project.

robjs111

Reaction
just found articles here on racedezert. are you working in the solar power industry? looking to get into field.

Reaction
We're hoping to keep Solar out of our "fields"!