Sold my car, how long should I worry about it

tedmales

Reaction
I sold my Excursion today. I had it since it was new in 99. It only had about 16k miles total ( very low, but I never used it ) and even agreed to drive it 140 miles to meet the buyer half way. On the way there one of the tires had a lug fly off (damn super swampers). I showed the guy, and since he told me he buy buying new tires asap, I offered him $300 to cover the damaged one. More than fair, we agreed, and he left. Within the hour he called asking me why the check engine light was on. In 10 years it never came on for me, he has it an hour, and now its on. How long do I have to worry about this thing. I sold it at a lower than asking price, and delivered it to the guy. ( he came and drove it and then made an offer later in the week) I have a feeling he is going to try to hit me up for more. I have never had 1 mechanical problem with this truck. I want to be fair, but, I don’t want to get nickel and dimed to death over a truck I sold. What do you guys think?

Reaction
You shouldn't give it another thought, if in good conscience you sold it and had disclosed everything. If you had not sold it and the light had come on, on you it would have been your problem, now it is his. Chaces are he stopped at a Gas Station and filled it up, then didn't put he gas cap on tight or at all - that will set off the light. Be sure to go online and submit a Release of Liability and don't do it by mail.

P.s. You should always provide the buyer a Smog Cert and don't leave it up to them.

fordnut

Reaction
Taillight warranty, once you can't see the tail lights, it's not your problem. I always have the buyer sign an agreement that says the vehicle was sold "as is". If he wanted a warranty he should have bought a new car. If you fix it, expect more calls down the road when other things pop up.

Something like this.

I, (name:)_______________________________ of (address:)______________________________________________, hereby certify that I am the lawful owner of this vehicle:

Year ________
Make ______________________
Model _______________________
VIN#__________________________________________

and have the authority to sell it. I hereby acknowledge the receipt of $___________ in the form of _____________, from (Buyer's name:)_______________________, as full payment for the purchase of the said vehicle, which is sold "AS IS". I hereby state that the mileage of the vehicle at the time of sale is ______________.

I do hereby grant, sell and transfer full ownership of this vehicle to the buyer. I certify that this vehicle, at the time of sale, is free from all encumbrances, taxes, fees and liens except as those specified on the Title or listed below; and that, I (Seller) will defend and be held fully responsible for such lawful claims and demands with respect to the vehicle, if any.

Buyer accepts full liability for the vehicle, damages, and any third party liability incurred from the vehicle use from the date of sale.

If applicable, Seller agrees to make arrangements for the reasonable delivery of vehicle title from lien holder to buyer immediately.

Date _________________
Date

tedmales

Reaction
Start spending your money. You will feel better.;)

Thats the worst part. I spent the money, and now Visa wants it back. I sold my truck to pay off my credit cards. Its my own fault, but I really wanted those monkeys off my back. Might have enough left for a burger and fries as long as they are off the dollar menu.

michael_loomis

Reaction
First off, since you are in Yuma, where was the buyer? In AZ also? California?

Did you have the truck smogged before you delivered it? If you sold it to cali, and it hasnt been smogged yet, you might have a problem. Could be something very simple like Ramsey stated, but if its coming to Cali, from out of state, it will need a Vin verification and a smog. I dunno what you are liable for if it stays in AZ.

Technically, the seller is responsible for the smog, unless you have proof that it was negotiated otherwise. Once the light is shut off, it will need to be driven a bit to reset the computer. It may never return, or it may come on again during the reset period (usually 50 miles or so)

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Once its out of sight, make sure all the paperwork is in order. Dont worry about it. Transfer of title. Make sure that gets done......So nobody comes looking for you if something happens to it.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
I am more intrigued that you had a 99 excursion with only 16k on it.....lol.....I love my excursion but I do 16k every 6 months....

Good luck - Make sure you do a release of liability on it quickly and wish the new owner well.

craigincali

Reaction
You sold it "as is" so dont worry about it. Fordnut has it in the bag. I ALWAYS right out a "as is" agreement when I sell stuff. Mine isnt as fancy as his but same idea. Anyway, dont worry about it.

pappawheely

O.G. Photo
Reaction
I sold a car in Cali and filled out the release of liability and sent to DMV. 8 months later I get a notice from Laguna Beach asking to pay parking tickets on the car. I told the officer that I filed the release with DMV but apparently they are worthless. The scumbag who bought my car even filled out an affidavit that he was not responsible. After I talked to the PD they dropped it but I was pissed that they let that dirt bag off for obvious perjury.