• Forum membership has its advantages....

Solid axle suspension tuning help

Kmac107

I have a 2014 4 door Jeep with king 2.5 coilovers 12” front 14” rear the front is currently a flutter stack 12,12,10,15,15,15,15,15,15 for compression and 12 rebound in the rear it’s a standard 10 stack compression and 12 rebound. it’s still a bit firm running wash board small bump sections but when I get into larger woops the rear wants to buck any help would be great I also have king 2.5 bumps in it in all 4 corners and compression adjusters currently set all the way soft

michael.gonzalez

Not to take away from any advice that is about to be given but I know AccuTune specializes in valving coil overs for JK's and JKU's.

They might be a good shop to stop by if you are near LA.
Give them a call. I'm sure it won't be a waste of your time.

jon coleman

firm up comp.and do the low psi more oil in bump stop, mine did same thing,then i lowerd rear bump psi, added a turn or two on rebound final stroke bypass toob, helped get rid of that kicking/ bucking syndrome,, bump stops were acting like a spring board.is All rear travel being used?, when bucking accures?,ooops, i assumed you had by pass shox too, spring rate too can cause kicking up, too soft, lottsa variables, try drastically changing One thing at a time and see what happens ONE!, & keep notes on ride change, quite a few times i thought it was 'this'& it was actually 'That', good luck

Last edited:

Kmac107

ya I’m in Michigan nobody around here tunes they send everything out west, I talked to accutune they want me to send my shocks to them for$800 so they revalve them and won’t tell you what they did. I have all the stuff to rebuild them and have done a lot of shocks just don’t know much on the tuning side

Moss2

Generally in that situation I have found the front is too light in compression and or spring and too slow of rebound. If the front blows through the travel and soaks up the bigger bumps without kicking the front up a little the back will hit light or unloaded and kick. Sometimes it seems like the back is where the issue is but its the other end that is messing up the weight transfer for the combo.

jon coleman

yup, i was told to go more and more front spring to keep font ' up' out of the holes, and have just enough rebound, too much and frnt glances off Every thing& rear just gets dragged along, FINALLY found toms bronco parts 5.5 inch lift progressive springs , worked tits on my 1700. before, it felt front was diving into holes& rear would poke up & buck all over, same rear After fnt spring upgrade, rear soked it All up smooth

Kmac107

Would lowering the front rebound from a .012 shim stack to a .010 or a .008 help keep the front end up more through the woops don’t want to add more compression as it’s already stiff

jon coleman

if its ' packing'( wheel goes up, then stays up too long, not ready for next hit/ whoop, in the rear can cause tank slapping and a ' bucking' feeling too, mainly at higher speeds

Stephen

That's a lot of front rebound, a good first step might be to make a drastic change there. Put in a stack of 8s and see what it does. It could be packing down making it feel rough.

shock pros

Let’s start at square 1. Springs have to be correct rates and preload before we start looking at Valving. What springs are you running? How much actual preload do you have on them? If you’re not sure how to find out the actual preload vs the amount of threads showing on a coilover then DM me and I’ll explain it.

Kmac107

Hey shock pros so I switched the fronts out to IBPs today way too good of a deal to pass up but would still enjoy your input. in the front I have 1” of preload and the springs are a 275/300 in the rear I have 300/350 witch make the Jeep sit right where I want and still plenty soft for articulation and body roll

shock pros

Hey shock pros so I switched the fronts out to IBPs today way too good of a deal to pass up but would still enjoy your input. in the front I have 1” of preload and the springs are a 275/300 in the rear I have 300/350 witch make the Jeep sit right where I want and still plenty soft for articulation and body roll
Sounds like you’re on the right track with the springs. Now you can play around with the valving