solid front axel prerunner??????

MXRACER202

Reaction
so i just bought a 67 chevy pickup for $300 bucks and I wanted to make a wanna be prerunner with solid front axel I know that it wont have the travel that beams have but i Need the 4wd for the mountions, dont have a whole lot of money cause im still in school and only work in the summer. I live in south dakota so there is basically rocky trails, wont be my daily driver just basically a off road capable vehicle that I can get some air time in.

this is basicaly what im shooting for http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=983758

I was thinking.....
would I have to build a full bed cage for the shocks
and (maybe) a 4 link or could I do leaf springs
cab cage
would I need a full engine cage to mount the shocks

amigo01

Reaction
Sandking,

I love your ideas on this build.

I have experience mounting a trackbar bracket to a blazer frame right here. Plate the frame extensively here as the frame will tear..!

Keep up the good work!

Marv

sandking

Reaction
Thanks!!

I plan on it, it's not done yet. Gettin plate inbetween those two and inside the frame rails, then gusseted in the corners. It will be strong.

maxyedor

Reaction
Making a solid front axle work well in the desert isn't hard. A good leaf-pack that won't explode if you go fast and a well tuned shock would be the bare minimum. Links and coil-overs would be ideal though. It won't work as well as well tuned IFS, but it will hold it's own just fine.

Here is what I have going on... CLICK HERE

That's a sweet build. What kind of flex are you getting out of the radius arms? The stock radius arms on my rover don't flex at all, but I suspect it's due to the design, not just the fact that they're radius arms.

sandking

Reaction
I thought about rebuilding one arm with just a lower tube, then use the top mount for a shock with stiff valving that connects to the top of the bottom tube. It would flex great and have some dampening. But thats later.

MXRACER202

Reaction
Sandking nice work!!!!!

That is pretty much what im shooting for. That will come in handy soon!!!!
Thank you for sharing

That blitzkrieg kit looks pretty pricey for me

I was thinking about doing some deavers with maybe some bilstein 5150’s instead of doing coilovers cause It wont be doing high speed in really rough terrain so I thinking maybe the 5150’s would work

Any help is great!!!!!!!

maxyedor

Reaction
MXRACER202;830820 I was thinking about doing some deavers with maybe some bilstein 5150’s instead of doing coilovers cause It wont be doing high speed in really rough terrain so I thinking maybe the 5150’s would work [/QUOTE said:
Should be plenty of shock for going not-fast, but you may be able to get used Fox 2.0s with a resi for less, and you'd have the ability to dink with the valving if you want.

MXRACER202

Reaction
would the 2.0's hold up the truck??? or would i have to go with the nitrogen

sandking

Reaction
I would go with the 2.5 FOA coilovers. For the price and the budget you are trying to maintain, you cant go wrong.

maxyedor

Reaction
would the 2.0's hold up the truck??? or would i have to go with the nitrogen

The springs are used to set ride height, the shocks are there to provide the damping. The 2.0s will not be enough shock to to rail a full size through the desert, but for going kinda fast on washboard roads they'll be plenty, just be sure to get the resivoirs instead of emulsions.

MXRACER202

Reaction
I would go with the 2.5 FOA coilovers. For the price and the budget you are trying to maintain, you cant go wrong.

ok so if i go with the 2.5's with some deavers and a bolt in bed cage in the rear how should i do the front? could i just do a simple hoop that will bolt or weld on to the frame or would that not be strong enough