Solid Motor Mounts

RHEES

Reaction
Do any of you run solid motor mounts? Are they a good alternative to rubber ones that have to be replaced on a regular basis? How about polyurethane mounts? If I do run solid mounts, am I going to get alot of vibration through the truck? Who makes or sells them for a small block chevy? Thanks for any info....

Matt

shrek

Reaction
Is this a street vehicle or strictly off road?? Basically the force that is destroying your motor mounts is going to be transferred somewhere if you put solid mounts in. ie: transmission, rear end, axles...etc. If this is a stricly off road vehicle, then it probably is not a bad idea, we run them on our race truck and have had no problems at all. But, I think it would be a bad idea on a "daily driver" because you have very little give in most of the driveline if it is a manual trans. In a off road vehicle you would at least have some tire slippage. You might be able to get away with it with a auto because the tc would take up some force.

If it is a street vehicle, then I would look at it as motormounts are cheap compared to the rest of your driveline that could be taking that force.

Hope this helps..

Faceman

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

ntsqd

Reaction
We recently built a set of engine mounts similar to the AutoFab (I think) mounts, only to address the NVH issue we used the rubber front spring eye bushings from a early 70's GM F body. Got the bushes from Metro Molded Parts. I don't yet know how well they work, the rig was about 65% when the owner decided to tear it apart and start from scratch with a ground-up frame rather than using some old, questionable frame rails as the basis for this build-up.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I recently installed solid (eurathane) mounts on my daily driver toyota, MAN does it vibrate. With no carprt, headliner or other interior sound deadining it is enough to make me want to go back to rubber ones.

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I would only replace one with a urithane bushing. Most likely the drivers side. You only get slightly more vibration that way and a lot more strenght.

RHEES

Reaction
Thanks for the replies. I decided not to run solid mounts. Ive heard that you can take stock mounts and drill a hole straight through the steel and rubber, put in a grade 8, and just barely snug it with a locknut or jamnut to keep it there. That way the vibration is only slightly increased but the mount is alot stronger and wont separate. I havent even checked to see if this would work on my mounts yet but it doesnt sound like a bad idea.?.

ntsqd

Reaction
Used to, and maybe still can buy mounts for street cars called "Muscle Mounts" that were exactly that. A bolt thru the mount to prevent it's tearing loose. Have a look at the Ranger 4 cyl front mounts. That design dates back to, at least, Flathead Ford V8's. Pretty hard to tear them apart.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages