solidworks help-unrolling a cone

scottm

Reaction
A better way is to do a revolved sheetmetal wall. If it is a 360° cone, add a rip to make it flatten.

scottm

Reaction
Sorry, bad advice. That will work in Pro/E but not in solidworks. I just tried a couple different ways in sw and none worked. You should be able to convert the part to sheetmetal, then flatten it, but it didnt work for me.

scottm

Reaction
Ok this has been bothering me, but I figured it out. You want to do a lofted sheetmetal bend. I made this one by making a parallel offset plane, with a bigger dia arc on the lower level, and a cmaller dia arc on the upper level. The click on 'lofted bend', pick the two arcs, and specify the thickness. That makes a sheetmetal cone that will flatten on command. You could also put one end of the arcs on a centerline with an angle dimension for more control.

Attachments

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
That's pimping if your rolling them, but what about if your bending it? Wouldn't the top and bottom "radius" actually be short strait segments?

Reaction
Ok this has been bothering me, but I figured it out. You want to do a lofted sheetmetal bend. I made this one by making a parallel offset plane, with a bigger dia arc on the lower level, and a cmaller dia arc on the upper level. The click on 'lofted bend', pick the two arcs, and specify the thickness. That makes a sheetmetal cone that will flatten on command. You could also put one end of the arcs on a centerline with an angle dimension for more control.
Thanks Scott! you tha man! I am used to laying it out by hand with paralell line development, tried doing it in the computer and started pulling my hair out.Much easier for me to it the old school way. I just wanted to make a drawing of my rearend so i could mess with different truss designs.

barge- yes it would be small flats that make up the radius. or called bump forming. tighter at the top and farther at the bottom.

Triaged

Reaction
An easy way to do it is to put a small extrude on the end that is very short (say 0.001") and then you have a flat face to click on to do the insert bends. Use an even smaller radius (0.0001") so it doesn't screw anything up.

If however you are going to do it as a bunch of brake bends I would model it that way. Make a sketch with a polygon of a bunch of sides, extrude it with draft, shell it, slit it, and flatten it.

Triaged

Reaction
I have been dealing with SW on some other stuff so I figure I would toss up some solutions to this that I tossed together...You need SW2009 to look at it.

Attachments

Harrenstein

Reaction
I may be wrong but I believe SW has a feature when lofting to loft with bend segments. I use Autodesk Inventor at work and that is how I create a flange that gets bent.

Reaction
Thanks Triaged, I am using 2004 and it does not have anything for cones. you must create it. I just met with solidworks reps yesterday and am getting 2010.It has a bunch of new sheet metal functions.I was way behind the times.2010 will make my life A LOT easier.