• Forum membership has its advantages....

some good news

martininsocal

i attended the wemo meeting(west mojave plan) in v-ville today and have some good news and a possible cloud looming. the good news is none of the current open areas(stoddard, johnson, spangler, jawbone, etc) are affected in the plan. the open areas were left alone so far. the plan has provisions for a loss of 6-8 thousand miles of currently open trails and roads. many around the open areas. the reason this plan is being pushed is due to the fact that fort irwin is going to expand 60,000 acres next year and the loss of tortoise habitat is being mitigated on the ohv users. so opposition to this plan is still important. the next meeting will be june 6 at 9:30 am at the green tree in in victorville. this will most likely be a marathon event as the maps for all the possible closures will finally be available to everyone.
as a note- the meeting was well attended by the equestrian folks(horses) because they heard rumors of being included in the restrictions-no roads-no way to trailer in horses. while there were only 2 eco folks there, they tried to drive a wedge between us right away. fortunately, the horse riders see through the attempt to divide and conquer and wish to form a strong coalition with us. several attempts were immediately shot down when the ecos tried to say we offered up the horse folks. they are aware that horses are on the hit list after the evil offroaders are gone.
i hope to see more of the race community at the next meeting. while we may have our areas left untouched at this time, it will only be a matter of time if we let others pay now...only for us to pay later.
be involved! martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Paige

Thanks for attending the meeting Martin ~ I am glad to hear that so far the open areas are remaining open.

Now as far as open, did the term limited use come up at all? Are the areas still open to competition?

Was there any discussion about competition? are they talking about any restictions at all?

6-8 thousand miles of trails and roads...were you able to see on the maps where they were?

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

Klaus

Administrator
Please post the next meetings here and try to get a car pool together.
A lot of us want to help, but we are hands-on gear head person and not that politically interested. I am speaking about me and some of my close friends.

We want the land to stay open, but yet, we hate to talk about and read about etc.
So its not that we don't want to help, but we need someone to take us by our hand and tell us to hold up a sign all day, or to vote here or to sit in this meeting all day long just to show some presence.

I am speaking primarily about myself. I could sit in a fabshop all day long watch someone build an a-arm and ask questions and get involved then watch 5 minutes of some political debate on TV. I know its important and that's why I would like the ones that are at our fronts fighting for us to help people like me support the cause.

Next meeting lets try to get a van full of bodies out, or maybe its money that could help.

Paige

Along with the WEMO planning meeting in June (which is a work day) there is a DAC meeting on father's day weekend. I have the location at home. That is a meeting I can't attend (out of town) - but I believe that Tony was going to go. It will be either in El Centro or San Bernardino. The meetings are typically all day...but somewhat interesting.

The WEMO meetings are monthly BTW

We do need a lot of people at this particular DAC meeting as they will be discussing the NECO and NEMO plans AND the California Wilderness Coalition's report - Off-Road to Ruin. I wrote an article in response to this report that was published on ORC last month. This article will be distributed at the DAC meeting as part of the OHV community's response to the report.

We are expecting that there will be a good turn out from the enviro groups and it would in fact be nice for the racing and other OHV communities to flood the room.

As I get more info - I will post on here.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Paige on 05/03/01 02:35 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

martininsocal

paige and klaus(and everyone else) i should be at the next meeting, but my route takes me down the hill from big bear through lucerne. i have already spoken to ed waldheim from corva. he is going to be in alaska for the next meeting so it is important that we have some others attend. at this meeting, there were no maps of the areas we use because the blm kept their hands off the open use areas where competition occurs. i asked whether there was any specific reason why the open areas were left out and was told by the blm there was no reason to include them. possibly due to the long term high "consumptive" use that occurs there. the way the maps were suppose to be released was a section every 45 days, but that has changed. all maps are suppose to be at the next meeting so we can see where the closures actually occur. at this time there are no planned changes from open to limited or closed use at any of the open areas. one thing that was nice was that the econazis were outnumbered at this meeting(only 2 showed up!) so they were feeling a bit "threatened". let me know who will be there and i will fill you in. plan on a long meeting since it will be the first one with the maps.
martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Paige

Martin ~ Glad to hear that you will be able to attend the next one too....I had the next meeting date as the 12th - was that changed to the date you posted?

I will try and also make that meeting as well.

For the DAC meeting - I double checked my info and they haven't set a place yet. As soon as I know - I will let everyone know.

martininsocal

paige-the june 6th date is for the map release for comittee 2 which is vehicle access. there are 5(maybe 6 now since the horse folks want in) that all meet at different times. you can look at the corva website - www.corva.org and get more dates for other meetings. there will be additional meetings regarding the the usfs roadless plan, etc... coming up. martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

L&SMotorsports

Thanks Martin for taking time out of your day to attend the meeting. This meeting, and the next, are right by me. However, owning a small business takes a lot of my time, but I am planning on going. I look forward to meeting you. I don't know if you get the Daily Press newspaper up there, but there is a really good article in it today about how the BLM is handling the local cattlemen in the Lucerne Valley. It seems that the BLM rangers are trying to use force to remove cattlemen from land that they are leasing from the gov for grazing. Gary Penrod, Sherriff for San Bernardino County has threatened them with pulling the BLM's authority in SB county. Thanks again.
Tim

Paige

Tim ~

That would be great if you could go, and I go and martin is there -

Paige

Martin ~ I just got an e-mail from Ed - the date was changed to the 6th - groovy - so we may have at least 3 of us in attendance - GREAT!!

For anyone interested the West Mojave Plan Task Force 2 (Access) meeting is in Victorville, at the Green Tree Inn, 9.30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

martininsocal

as i stated in my other post about glamis- the judge who handled the case has written a letter defining his decision that shows the blm should not imposed closures without following their own rules about requirements prior to any closures. what is funny is that some of the west maojave plan is being affected by this lawsuit. some of the things the cbd wants are no ohv use(or vehicles for that matter) no grazing by sheep and/or cattle, and no mining/rock hounding. it appears that the individual groups are finally seeing the light...form an alliance to get the numbers needed to fight these nationwide eco groups. no more devide and conquer! hope to see you guys at the meeting. martin

If your gonna go, go BIG