Some LT Yota questions

jg009

Reaction
I’ve got my eye on a 1990 Toyota Xtra Cab V6 with 4WD and I want to do some sort of bolt on long travel suspension. Welding on some shock hoops wouldn’t be an issue, but I don’t want to do a lot of fabrication. What’s the most travel I can get while retaining 4WD? What axles should I use? I looked at the Total Chaos Gen II Caddy System which uses T-100 axles, but 12” isn’t much travel compared to what I’d really like. I’m not too concerned with the back suspension. I’ll just keep it leaf sprung until I can afford to 4-link it.

JMiller

Reaction
They only way you could get a lot more travel is to get longer arms and custom axles to match the arm length. You really need to figure out whats more important 4x4 or big travel number. 12" of well dampened travel will handle some good size hits.

I have an old ESP kit on my 92 and I'm getting 12.5" of travel with 4x4.

motorhead

Reaction
12" of travel seems to be the most a 3"-4" over kit will cycle without issues. The CV joints start to bind and wear very quickly due to excessive plunge. To be honest, I am impressed 12" is achieved with any 3"-4" over kit. Even if you found better CVs that were capable of more angle, scrub and bumpsteer become issues. I suggest running the TC kit if you are set on keeping 4X4 or find a nice 6" over 2wd kit with 15"-18" travel.

jg009

Reaction
okay, so after looking at the TC kit, I think I'll go with it when I do get a 4x4 Yota. What should I do for the back, though? I want a fair amount of travel for cheap right now until I can afford to 4 link. I don't want to run really soft springs, though, because I'll be using the truck for the occasional towing and firewood-carrying jobs.

JMiller

Reaction
okay, so after looking at the TC kit, I think I'll go with it when I do get a 4x4 Yota. What should I do for the back, though? I want a fair amount of travel for cheap right now until I can afford to 4 link. I don't want to run really soft springs, though, because I'll be using the truck for the occasional towing and firewood-carrying jobs.
62" deavers are a good set up and you can get around 18" of travel out of them.
Or just get a mild lift spring to hold you off till you can go 4-link.

jg009

Reaction
Someone just offered me a killer deal on a '91 Explorer. I know quite a bit about these rigs since I owned one in the past. I do want a Toyota p/u, but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Explorers. Other than Camburg and McNeil, who else makes LT 4x4 kits for these rigs?

ckblum

Reaction
Autofab, I'm pretty sure the same long travel for 4wd Rangers will work on the Explorers too. I think the Explorer has the same front cross member as the 4wd Rangers.