• Forum membership has its advantages....

Some thoughts on the Expo

ntsqd

First, I met some of the bbs folks at the Operation Clean Dezert booth, all lovely ladies - no ugly men folk to be seen. :) I'm glad i wondered back that way and made your acquaintence.

One maker of off road hubs seems to think air flow thru a vented rotor is not neccessary. Their hubs came right up the inside edge of the rotor with only sufficient gap to allow for casting variation. The hub was so large to accommodate the huge wheel bearings used, about 8" OD. Never mind that air flow thru a rotor starts from the center. I guess cooling the rotors that stop a 4000+ lbs truck mounted with 37" tires isn't important.

The BITD Vegas to Reno first overall finisher. Anyone else notice that they finished with the cords showing thru on the left rear tire. Not real unusual, but those were KEVLAR cords. Those can't be over the counter tires or even those available to just any racer, can they ?

The Avalanch Sniper rock crawler uses a GM 2.8 V6 for power. Who was it that was saying you have to be able to spin the tires on a rock crawler ? Those engines aren't well thot of by the engine builders I know. Has some funky shaped control arms that I don't understand the reasoning for.

Hate to break it to y'all who are thinking of earning a living in the desert racing or rock crawling industries, but the money is in the sand. Probably more so than in off road racing as there seems to be far more sand folks than racers. Sand folk want pretty, functional, long travel rigs with lots of HP and aren't afraid of spending the cash to get it. And aren't afraid of spending cash to stay with the trends either. This isn't an opinion formed from direct displays, but from talking to the vendors and stewing on their comments.

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Mike_HKmtrsprts

I know Camburg picked up Goodyear as their tire sponser and are getting some 35's with kevlar cords I dont know if you can get them over the counter cause they are race tires but Im sure some one will find a way. The tires are out of production right now because of the whole firestone thing. Your completely right about the sand thing Im one of those guys who sold my soul to afford a long travel car, I think alot of it has to due with the fact that most of the truck out their are owned by people in thier early twentys and I know how hard it is to build some thing nice on a low budget salary Im living proof at the age of 23. Most of the nice sand cars or truck running are owned by guys going through a mid-life crisis and can afford to spend the big $$$ but for some reason they like the sand better.

You must be Fast cuz I was HAULIN ASS when I passed you...

BradM

Thom, Some of that I failed spelling kinda makes you wonder don't it? I some some dude walking around with a "bigger dick racing" shirt on, I didn't know it was you or I would have said hey. I didn't see Ruben though, was he with you?

Frank, I never saw you there. Did you make it down on Sunday? What time did you show up?

Build 'em light, wind 'em tight<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BradM on 10/08/01 11:04 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

ntsqd

How many "Bigger Dick Racing" t-shirts could there be in So. CA ? :) That shirt's art was penned by the same PNW artist, Thom Cheney, that penned B.C. Bronco's "Leakster" Tshirt art and was only distributed in the PNW via the EBE Bronco list.
Should've intro'd yourself in person. Did your dad come with you ? I saw a lot a familiar faces there, most I don't know and likely recognize from the races. Saw quite a few more that I'd like to get to know....
Ruben was there along with 4 others, 3 in Ventura 4x4 shirts, but we got seperated early on and didn't meet up with each other again until near noon. Shortly after we ran into Dennis from Motion Tire (Vta).
I've decided I want a Pinzgauer (sp ?), haven't the foggiest what I'd do with it but they're cool.

-- Howdy Lee

BradM

Thom, I didn't know it was you because I never read your earlier post until this morning. I don't spend much time in front of a computer over the weekend, too much else to do. Yeah, my dad was with me and I was wearing a red motion tire motorsports t shirt. My dad probably would have been easier to spot, he was wearing this goofy looking farmer john hat. As the hair goes you start to realize that you have to protect your head from the sun. Sad to say that I already know that. I don't even remember what you or your shirt looked like. It just caught my attention and I made the correlation this morning. Sorry, maybe next time at the OCDII if not before.

PS - You must not get much more work done over there than I do. You're always online.

<font color=purple>Build 'em light, wind 'em tight</font color=purple>

ntsqd

I do tend to forget that not everyone looks over the msgs as frequently as I normally do. Since the 11th things at work just don't mean as much.
I was on the look-out for shirts that were familiar, must have missed yours.
Need to check the date of OCD II for conflicts. Seems like a great way to meet others and give something back to the desert. We always try to leave a camp cleaner than we found out, but sometmes it's just overwhelming and hard to make a visable dent.

-- Howdy Lee

dezertchick

Barstow Clean up is October 20...Raffel, Party, BBQ afterwords (We Got two kegs of beer donated! Now how many clean ups have free beer??)...Raffel also for people who show up, gift certs, a trip to Laughlin, videos, etc etc etc...we got some awsome stuff to give away....and everyone gets a t-shirt. We have been working our butts off on this clean up and hope for a good turn out...we have had great response.
Glad to see/meet so many people at the Expo. See ya all in two weeks!

BradM

I figured you were signing up for it when you stopped by the booth. It's October 20.

<font color=yellow>Build 'em light, wind 'em tight</font color=yellow>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/images/icons/cool.gif>http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/images/icons/cool.gif</A></A>">

ntsqd

I need to make sure I'm not committed (easy now...) elsewhere. I long ago gave up trying to recall where I was supposed to be and when and now have it all in a yuppie Palm Pilot.

-- Howdy Lee

RacnCPA

Well NTSQD thank you for the compliment. Women into off-road racing and women who are willing to take an active role in helping that community are few and far between. There are more out there, but you're right, quite a few of us are at the core of the Coalition of Off-Road Desert Racers (C.O.R.D.R.)! Come on out EVERYONE to the Operation Desert Clean II in Barstow on the 20th and show your support. Clean the deserts today so we can race in them tomorrow!

Sc

ntsqd

It's been pointed out to me that those hubs I criticized are intended for buggies, not trucks. Based on that I understand that the braking load won't be as extreme, but if you're going to cut off the air supply to a vented rotor you may as well run a solid rotor and save some unsprung mass.
Look over there under my name where it says "newbie". I'm not new to the desert, and I'm not new to race vehicles in general, I am new to desert race vehicles. Point it out when I make an erroneous assumption.
Looks like the 20th is clear for me. I'll look up OCD II for particulars.

-- Howdy Lee