• Forum membership has its advantages....

Some Tire 101 from the old guy and new things to come ---

speedfun

Tires & wheels 101
Many years ago the 1600s-10-12- 5-1600-5-unlimited - Class 1 cars and some trucks were going to 16in wheels and tires because of the lighter weigh and less tire deflection that came with a radial tire .
TILL the Trophy Trucks went to a 17 in wheel and just like that all the tire manufacturers stopped making the 16in tires for all the classes-- And Centerline stopped making the wheels - UTVs were just a concept back then-

Not many of you were around when all we had was Bias ply tires, They are the best for what we do in this sport--Then in the 80s everything went to radial tire construction for all passenger cars-trucks because of the smooth ride. and all the Bias Ply construction went by by--
With that said and knowing how good the Bias-Ply tires are ( because I ran them)-- I had some 15x6 & 16x6 UTV and wide 5 VW wheels made up from "CMS"Custom Metal Spinning. for some new Tires to this sport made by "AR"American Racer Tires. formerly McCreary Tire & Rubber Company.. They used to be a direct competitor with Hoosier and Good Year back in the day..

As some of you know I was having Hoosiers and AR Tries remolded with a soft 45 durometer winter snow - off-road tread design.. but was BANNED because it was a re-mold-- Truth is my tires were seconds faster than anything on the market so LOORRS so-cal and Mid west banned them..
Now Thats not going to happen now-- All my tires are brand new construction and will be legal in every series (hopefully) knock on wood

To help you understand the advantages of a lighter weight wheel - tire combo look at like this -- Say we all have 200 HP why would you slow your car down with a 70 pound tire & wheel (4=280 total) ? your going to brake parts have less power than your buddy that runs a 45 pound wheel and tire (4=180 total) -- He will accelerate faster and stop faster and be faster-- AND wont be replacing ball joints hyme joints braking axles ripping apart CV joints and burning up belts.....

Bead locks--? a bead lock will only help you of your a few miles from the end of a race IMO. when your tire goes down your fixing it right? so you dont destroy a $250 tire--
Some of you think lower tire pressure is more traction. True only in deep sand. Everyplace else not good-!! Guys use a minimum of 20-23 pounds in your tires for whatever your doing. The tire will work better you will have less flats and the car will roll out better and stop better and your side walls won't heat up and fail- SIMPLE right? makes sense..-

For many years I have been gluing the beads to my rims with Black 3M contact cement same as elephant snot but black-- and no beadlocks- It works great -- Bitch to take off and messy to install--but works great..!!
So next time your in the market for wheels look at a beadlock wheel like eating 3 In&Out Double Doubles - they taste great but your going to need to lay down for awhile-LOL
. Bead locks look great but they are going to slow you down and will not prevent flats. They will wear out everything faster... and break leaving you stranded in the middle of NowhereVille. because of the extra weight.. and They are not street legal.

I now have CMS Hand spun wheels made with a little thicker material than the old centerlines and have a 1/4 in plate in between the two halves for strength and use 20 bolts to join the 2 half"s.. also use 1in washers under the lugnuts to stop the wheel flexing on the 4 lug hub..
Great thing is? bend one half you can Buy one half and save yourself some money.
If you need to be like the all the other guys with Blue shirts and need to look cool like Mike.. CMS will make your wheels with beadlocks on both sides or stiffening rings on the lip of the wheels or make cut outs for the Jackman-Weld-wheel look.
CMS custom makes the wheels the way you want them. We made decals for the centers to look any way you want in any color to give you the bling bling Eye catcher look --

I will keep this thread updated with my test results and some cool video to show just how much better a light weight wheel and a Bias Ply tire does on any UTV or Buggy for racing or play..
Here are a few pictures of the tires I am currently testing-- you could see The Military Non directional tire on a UTV at KOH this month -- also the cool Chevron tread tires work great in the woods and trail riding are also just for 16 in wheels -- I will have 14-15 in wheels & tires too for short course .. most tires are DOT so you're good to run on the street...

And the best thing is all these tires and wheels are made right here in the USA-!

RickJames Welch

Hay RDC this is to help educate some of the new UTV guys. None of these 16in tires or wheels are for sale yet so please do not deleat this post for being in the wrong place like the last time-- I will spend the $85 bucks when I have tires & wheels for sale Till then I thought I would help spread my 30 years of tire knowledge and help the new to this sport guys-- and I need some feedback on these new tire-wheel combo Thanks---

Attachments

crafty

Tires & wheels 101
Many years ago the 1600s-10-12- 5-1600-5-unlimited - Class 1 cars and some trucks were going to 16in wheels and tires because of the lighter weigh and less tire deflection that came with a radial tire .
TILL the Trophy Trucks went to a 17 in wheel and just like that all the tire manufacturers stopped making the 16in tires for all the classes-- And Centerline stopped making the wheels - UTVs were just a concept back then-

Not many of you were around when all we had was Bias ply tires, They are the best for what we do in this sport--Then in the 80s everything went to radial tire construction for all passenger cars-trucks because of the smooth ride. and all the Bias Ply construction went by by--
With that said and knowing how good the Bias-Ply tires are ( because I ran them)-- I had some 15x6 & 16x6 UTV and wide 5 VW wheels made up from "CMS"Custom Metal Spinning. for some new Tires to this sport made by "AR"American Racer Tires. formerly McCreary Tire & Rubber Company.. They used to be a direct competitor with Hoosier and Good Year back in the day..

As some of you know I was having Hoosiers and AR Tries remolded with a soft 45 durometer winter snow - off-road tread design.. but was BANNED because it was a re-mold-- Truth is my tires were seconds faster than anything on the market so LOORRS so-cal and Mid west banned them..
Now Thats not going to happen now-- All my tires are brand new construction and will be legal in every series (hopefully) knock on wood

To help you understand the advantages of a lighter weight wheel - tire combo look at like this -- Say we all have 200 HP why would you slow your car down with a 70 pound tire & wheel (4=280 total) ? your going to brake parts have less power than your buddy that runs a 45 pound wheel and tire (4=180 total) -- He will accelerate faster and stop faster and be faster-- AND wont be replacing ball joints hyme joints braking axles ripping apart CV joints and burning up belts.....

Bead locks--? a bead lock will only help you of your a few miles from the end of a race IMO. when your tire goes down your fixing it right? so you dont destroy a $250 tire--
Some of you think lower tire pressure is more traction. True only in deep sand. Everyplace else not good-!! Guys use a minimum of 20-23 pounds in your tires for whatever your doing. The tire will work better you will have less flats and the car will roll out better and stop better and your side walls won't heat up and fail- SIMPLE right? makes sense..-

For many years I have been gluing the beads to my rims with Black 3M contact cement same as elephant snot but black-- and no beadlocks- It works great -- Bitch to take off and messy to install--but works great..!!
So next time your in the market for wheels look at a beadlock wheel like eating 3 In&Out Double Doubles - they taste great but your going to need to lay down for awhile-LOL
. Bead locks look great but they are going to slow you down and will not prevent flats. They will wear out everything faster... and break leaving you stranded in the middle of NowhereVille. because of the extra weight.. and They are not street legal.

I now have CMS Hand spun wheels made with a little thicker material than the old centerlines and have a 1/4 in plate in between the two halves for strength and use 20 bolts to join the 2 half"s.. also use 1in washers under the lugnuts to stop the wheel flexing on the 4 lug hub..
Great thing is? bend one half you can Buy one half and save yourself some money.
If you need to be like the all the other guys with Blue shirts and need to look cool like Mike.. CMS will make your wheels with beadlocks on both sides or stiffening rings on the lip of the wheels or make cut outs for the Jackman-Weld-wheel look.
CMS custom makes the wheels the way you want them. We made decals for the centers to look any way you want in any color to give you the bling bling Eye catcher look --

I will keep this thread updated with my test results and some cool video to show just how much better a light weight wheel and a Bias Ply tire does on any UTV or Buggy for racing or play..
Here are a few pictures of the tires I am currently testing-- you could see The Military Non directional tire on a UTV at KOH this month -- also the cool Chevron tread tires work great in the woods and trail riding are also just for 16 in wheels -- I will have 14-15 in wheels & tires too for short course .. most tires are DOT so you're good to run on the street...

And the best thing is all these tires and wheels are made right here in the USA-!

RickJames Welch

Hay RDC this is to help educate some of the new UTV guys. None of these 16in tires or wheels are for sale yet so please do not deleat this post for being in the wrong place like the last time-- I will spend the $85 bucks when I have tires & wheels for sale Till then I thought I would help spread my 30 years of tire knowledge and help the new to this sport guys-- and I need some feedback on these new tire-wheel combo Thanks---
I like the look of the Hoosiers looking forward to those and 15” rims for my 5/1600