Something new 2.2

streamline

Some of you may remember a thread by Derek Collins (DUMP) a few years back documenting the build of 3 new Herbst trophy trucks Something New!! You may also know they are now retired.

I happened to be in the right place at the right time and acquired the third chassis that was never finished along with the suspension components and updated steering parts. I am not planning on building a Trophy truck or any race vehicle for that matter. To be honest I had planned to just build a nice Bronco with 4x beams and be done. I have now opened a giant can of worms with this project!!

My plan now is to build a 1974 crew cab square body chevy but with a 125" wheelbase. Unfortunately I have never seen this done before and have no idea what this will look like? I will be cutting out all of the outer tubes and roof of the chassis and will only keep the suspension pick up points along with the transmission tunnel but I am not really sure until I get started.

I also purchased a complete used ID Designs TT housing with axles, hubs and Alcon brakes. I do have most of the big ticket items other than the transmission. It have a 620h LS3. Kings and Pro Am hubs, front brakes and steering.

So now lets see if I can get this thing done by 2020!! Its all up to me and my labor and a little more $$$$$$

Chassis
6321_IMG_0792.JPG

6263_IMG_0914.JPG

6230_IMG_0972.JPG
6182_IMG_1047.JPG

6510_IMG_0541.JPG

6548_IMG_0471.JPG

Ultra wheels
6487_IMG_0571.JPG

6020_IMG_1338.JPG

JDDurfey

Sounds like an awesome project. I have a 91 F-150 extended cab 4x4 that I have dreamed of putting a crew cab on and building a similar project. It would look funky as the bedsides would be extremely short like in your photo shopped pics.

Good luck

PBR

That's awesome Danny! Can't wait to see it all come together.

streamline

I'll be following. I thought about this a few years back.
Kinda funny Mark, but when I thought I might be able to buy your old truck a few years ago I made this picture. I wondered if it would be possible to turn it into a three seater?
6846_IMG_0072.JPG

streamline

FYI a suburban is 129 inches.. you could drop the un modified shell on that..
Oh I know exactly the wheel base of suburban and I really considered it. In the end working around a giant steel cab would have killed me! I cant crawl around tubes like I used to.

streamline

Here is the chassis the way I got it from Herbst. It does still need some plate work to be finished on the driver side floor
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG

streamline

Today I got the chassis cut up so I can start fitting the cab.

Tomorrow's project is getting the cab floor cut out.

It's very exciting after a year of collecting parts to finally get started. On another hand it is hard cutting up a piece of art that never saw dirt.
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG

Mark Newhan

IMG_0166.PNG
IMG_0167.PNG
IMG_0396.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg
Kinda funny Mark, but when I thought I might be able to buy your old truck a few years ago I made this picture. I wondered if it would be possible to turn it into a three seater?
View attachment 180057

Lol. It would've been difficult. There was a company in Texas that built extracab square body's. I looked for one for a while.

I think what you're building will be great. You've got some great parts. If you know where there is some good used TT parts, I'm always buying...

Also, I thought about cutting the back of the Ramcharger off and grafting on an extracab. A guy here on RDC did the renderings for me.

streamline

View attachment 180080 View attachment 180081 View attachment 180082 View attachment 180083

Lol. It would've been difficult. There was a company in Texas that built extracab square body's. I looked for one for a while.

I think what you're building will be great. You've got some great parts. If you know where there is some good used TT parts, I'm always buying...

Also, I thought about cutting the back of the Ramcharger off and grafting on an extracab. A guy here on RDC did the renderings for me.

I also looked for the Texas built extra cab's with no luck. I actually bought and still own a regular cab long bed and I was going to make my own extended cab. This would have been a huge job and I would not have had the rear door to open or remove to get access. From what I read about the extra cab square bodys is that a few Chevy dealers took new inventory and had them built then sold as new. I guess this was in the late 80's, in the last few years of the SB. Supposedly they were in such demand GM produced the next gen truck in the extra cab?

Mark, if your looking for TT parts, I have a brand new, never used, TT roof! Really good deal,haha
IMG_0073.JPG

Do you not like having the back Inclosed on the Ram Charger? Or is the extra cab idea just to add WB?

streamline

Where is Dump now ?
That is a great question! I had talked to Derek years ago about renting out my shop so he could build a 10 car. After half a dozen phone upgrades, I lost his contact info. I could use his help on a few things and would love to get back in touch with him. Hoping he see's this or if anyone has his contact info send me a message.

Thanks, Danny

Mark Newhan

I also looked for the Texas built extra cab's with no luck. I actually bought and still own a regular cab long bed and I was going to make my own extended cab. This would have been a huge job and I would not have had the rear door to open or remove to get access. From what I read about the extra cab square bodys is that a few Chevy dealers took new inventory and had them built then sold as new. I guess this was in the late 80's, in the last few years of the SB. Supposedly they were in such demand GM produced the next gen truck in the extra cab?

Mark, if your looking for TT parts, I have a brand new, never used, TT roof! Really good deal,haha
View attachment 180119

Do you not like having the back Inclosed on the Ram Charger? Or is the extra cab idea just to add WB?

I was looking for the wheel base. The Ramcharger is stretched to 116 ish. Might sell it and build something else.