Sonora Rally 2016

Hog Wild

RDC Crypto
Website
www.SonoraRally.com
SonoraRallyPlaqueX800-25092015.gif

SONORA RALLY 2016
(previously known as Cortez Rally)

Last April, Dakar Rally veterans Darren Skilton and Scott Whitney brought their vast knowledge and unique experience to a brand new off-road rally running through the intoxicating and massive sand dunes of Mexico's Sonora desert; dunes that rival those in Africa and surpass those found in South America. Under the name Cortez Rally, they worked with the NORRA race organization to give racers an opportunity to experience a true cross-country navigation rally through widely varied and never before raced desert terrain. Next year, with a new name and an all new course, the 2016 Sonora Rally will again lead competitors through spectacular scenery and challenging navigation. The only rally of its kind in North America, Sonora Rally competitors must use true, Dakar-style “HP Navigation” (coming from the French phrase “Hors Piste” which means "offtrack"). Participants will be able to follow existing trails until arriving in the sand dune areas at which point they will have to navigate and finish via compass and expert Scott Whitney's road books. The four day event will include a new version of last years popular bivouac, created by AventuraTravel.com, giving competitors and crew a central location to gather and camp in the stunningly beautiful dunes. The bivouac will be complete with The Sonora Cantina, new camp style showers and bathroom facilities, and round the clock food availability.

Entry will include a half-day rally school, making this true adventure accessible to all levels. "The overwhelmingly positive response we received from last years competitors was all we needed to bring this rally back in 2016" says Skilton. "When you hear Dakar Rally ambassador and last year's Cortez champion, Quinn Cody say 'What an amazing adventure! From hundreds of miles of massive sand dunes in the Altar desert to crazy flooded dry lake beds in Baja, this was one of the most incredible events I have ever been a part of! Can't wait for next year!', you know you have created something special.

Watch SonoraRally.com and Sonora Rally Facebook page for coming details.

2016 REGISTRATION WILL OPEN OCTOBER 1st and will be LIMITED to 40 competitors

2016 SONORA RALLY Dates: April 3th - 7th, with registration and rally school on April 3rd, and racing 4th - 7th.

oneleglance

RDC Crypto
I have been chasing in the Mex 1000 for a few years and really enjoyed hearing about the Cortez/Sonora rally last year.
My 70 Suburban is well built for Baja and I love the idea of doing something like this.....but I absolutely NO desire to put a roll cage in.
Would that keep me out of the event?
Thanks
Lance

Hog Wild

RDC Crypto
Website
www.SonoraRally.com
4 -WHEEL SAFARI CLASS - For those enthusiasts who want to participate without a fully prepped race vehicle, join the SAFARI CLASS (no roll cage required), and run on selected sections of the course without being timed or scored. Learn how to navigate during the rally school and with road book and compass in hand, get a strong taste of the rally experience and great off-road adventure without the expense of a fully race built car or truck!

oneleglance

RDC Crypto
BEST NEWS EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have been happy just going along and helping the folks putting this together...ICU RN, Wilderness EMT, Fluent Spanish Speaker, happy to help.
But now to see that I can play also!
As a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society navigation is a hoot and always wanted to do something like this.
Thanks for the info and I will follow up and spread the word.

DarrenSkilton

RDC Crypto
4 -WHEEL SAFARI CLASS - For those enthusiasts who want to participate without a fully prepped race vehicle, join the SAFARI CLASS (no roll cage required), and run on selected sections of the course without being timed or scored. Learn how to navigate during the rally school and with road book and compass in hand, get a strong taste of the rally experience and great off-road adventure without the expense of a fully race built car or truck!

One important fact Scott left out is all Safari vehicles must be street legal with current registration and insurance (US and Mexican).

In fact, there will be an incentive for all bikes and cars to be street legal. This is the way all international rallies are run and we would like to try it make it the norm over the coming years.

DarrenSkilton

RDC Crypto
BEST NEWS EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have been happy just going along and helping the folks putting this together...ICU RN, Wilderness EMT, Fluent Spanish Speaker, happy to help.
But now to see that I can play also!
As a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society navigation is a hoot and always wanted to do something like this.
Thanks for the info and I will follow up and spread the word.

We definitely need volunteers to help so keep that in mind! Thanks for spreading the word.

Chase 2

RDC Crypto
Darren, you and Scott can count me in to help out again. It was a great event and a blast to be a part of!

DarrenSkilton

RDC Crypto
Here is the link to the Press Release that went out today in conjunction to the opening of entries.

Newly Renamed Sonora Rally Set For April 2016

Congrats to James Opel and William McBride on being the first to enter. Great story, they are building a Jacky Ickx tribute Dakar G Wagon to run the event. We have had a great response today so I think the 40 slots will fill quickly!

Petepecas

RDC Crypto
One important fact Scott left out is all Safari vehicles must be street legal with current registration and insurance (US and Mexican).

In fact, there will be an incentive for all bikes and cars to be street legal. This is the way all international rallies are run and we would like to try it make it the norm over the coming years.
Darren, I assume 4x4 is encouraged for the Safari Class, yes?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

DarrenSkilton

RDC Crypto
Darren, I assume 4x4 is encouraged for the Safari Class, yes?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Yes, 4x4 and 31" tire at a minimum. We will publish all the requirements for the safari class soon. The bottom line is we want to learn the art of rally raid navigation and have a fun time. You will need odometer (terratrip) and heading repeater, plus some sand ramps!

REDrum

RDC Crypto
People's Republik of Cambridge, Ma. & Malpais CR
This event and class is rapidly gaining my interest.

We will publish all the requirements for the safari class soon
FWIW...I emailed you some info on how a peer event in Can runs a similar "gateway" rally class.

plus some sand ramps!
What is the sand condition like in the Sonora. Will a 315/75 BFG KO2 at 15psi suffice?

Petepecas

RDC Crypto
for you it is.....bwaaahaajaa
Ouch! with a friend like you who needs enemies! LOL!
Yes, 4x4 and 31" tire at a minimum. We will publish all the requirements for the safari class soon. The bottom line is we want to learn the art of rally raid navigation and have a fun time. You will need odometer (terratrip) and heading repeater, plus some sand ramps!
Thank you Darren, will be waiting for info.

Hog Wild

RDC Crypto
Website
www.SonoraRally.com
The first entry in the non-racing Safari class, Ted Johnson, is coming all the way down from Canada to compete. That's a serious commitment. He caught the bug after spectating at Dakar in South America. No race car in the garage, no problem!
8b2e49f45c-SafariTruckTedJohnson.jpg