Soooo Sad

NOODLE

I have some long travel leaf springs for sale for a straight axle 4x4 chevy. They are front springs made by National. I got a call today from a kid asking if they were still for sale. He proceded to tell me he had been looking for long travel for the front of his 96 S-10 for so long but had never found such a good price. I tried to keep from laughing. It took me almost 10 minutes to convince him they would not work on the front of his S-10. Once i got off the phone i could not quit laughing. Can there really be people this ignorant out there???

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

martininsocal

Yes there can. I wonder if it was the same kid who wanted some of my sleeved 2" foxes to support his entire front of his truck. He seemed to think that they would work just like airsprings...just add more nitrogen.

If your gonna go, go BIG

ESB4130

when i was in 9th grade i kinda thought thats how it worked. haha. but i learned shortly after of a thing called a spring.

remember that funny lookin blue toyota tt at laughlin? that thing had high pressure nitrogen suspended shocks. in all honesty i think hes got some bugs to work out...the rebound dampening was kickin his ass a little.

oh a similar note...you wouldnt believe it but over half of the emails i get on my toyota kits, is people with s-10s and the like asking how much work it would be to "adapt" my kit to it...i used to just turn them down but now i tell them that if they want it that bad...they can just cut the front of a toyota frame off and weld it to their s-10...it really would be the easiest way (and honestly i think theyd be better off )

AllwaysRcn

RE: "remember that funny lookin blue toyota tt at laughlin? that thing had high pressure nitrogen suspended shocks."

HUH?

martininsocal

Yes- the blue truck was air suspended, and it takes a lot of work and time to deal with gas expansion when heat rates, etc...change. As the truck warms up, the gas expands, cerating more pressue in the shock which increases spring rate. All of Nyes air springs are water cooled to help control temperature(works in short term races with Macachrens CORR truck) but the longer desert races will require some more fine tuning to find the place where gas expansion doesn't exist past the proper tune range. Maybe more water and bigger radiators or better fluid dynamics(cool purple?) with the coolant. Lots of work compared to a steel coil spring rate.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
That truck is going to be awesome if they have the funding to tune it and run it all this year.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

John Bitting

Administrator
They will probably sell it to Larry McCallum before San Felipe. He was trying to buy it at Laughlin to race Sunday.

Chris_Wilson

The water temp will never be constant. I wonder why they don't control pressure instead of temp.

AllwaysRcn

Martin-I understand how all of Nye's designs work. It takes a certain driver to make those vehicles win races though. Rob's TT (mighty mouse), his CORR truck, and even when Robby G drove Nick Baldwin's class one to a victory a few years ago. But nobody in between could do the same, with the same vehicles. Dondell's look like they might have something though with some more time.

I was questioning ESB4130's post about a "funny blue toyota tt"? I knew he meant Dondell's Cheverolet with Johnny Greaves Tundra skins.

martininsocal

Rob has always been fast in light front end vehicles...like the VP Chenowths...He understands the different driving technique it takes to steer with the rear. I'm not saying it won't work...I just wonder if it is better than a coil over truck. In the end, the driver makes the difference, so is there that much of a difference between a coil truck and an air truck? And of not, isn't the logistical advantage on the side of the coil truck?

If your gonna go, go BIG

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Is there onboard air to have the ability to adjust the volume of air in the shock with respect to temp? or is it a closed system?

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

ACID_RAIN28

Actually, they had a lot of problems gettting the shocks to warm up when testing, too much radiator. It is a closed air system, and the car that won laughlin last year had airshocks, and mark post had it before that. They work it is just the driver that needs tuning.

"There are a lot of people hoping I fail. But I like that. I need to be hated."

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
"The consistency in a air shock is not there" thats why I asked if it was an opened or closed system...if it was an open system you could make it consistent so that it didnt matter if you were leaving the line with cold shocks or finishing the 1000....it would all be taken care of with the control system.

Kris

ACID_RAIN28

There is no control on them and I am surprised that nye has not made something to do that but I just assume he has been doing this a lot longer than I have and that must not be a problem for him.

"There are a lot of people hoping I fail. But I like that. I need to be hated."