SORRS Desert Race this weekend in Sonora

Glen Greer

Reaction
Great race, track was 3 laps, 65 mile each, mixed with couple miles sand wash similar to smaller washes in San Felipe with less boulders. Technical two track and fast ranch roads. Not real rough, fun course. Well marked , little tight for TT but it’s wider now. 2 hours south of Nogales Az. Little hot in July to race, had some small monsoon which keep cool for the start of race. Will go next year, all AZ racers should put it on your list to do. Santa Ana had good food and plenty of places to stay. Glen

TJ_Gambino

Reaction
Just an FYI - the checkpoint 20 miles south of Az border wants title AND registration for race cars brought down. Class 5 and a class 1600 team had titles but no registration and were forced to head back to Az.

Make sure you have the proper documentation if you plan on attending these races.

Glen Greer

Reaction
Just an FYI - the checkpoint 20 miles south of Az border wants title AND registration for race cars brought down. Class 5 and a class 1600 team had titles but no registration and were forced to head back to Az.

Make sure you have the proper documentation if you plan on attending these races.

Glen Greer

Reaction
Yes that is correct, we have title and registration with license plate and AZ vin Tag on all our race cars. I also had to unload TT and drive across inspection lane. Also spares tires need to be new with recite and you have to pay tax . Wasn't a lot 20 pesos. They only allowed one spare tire per vehicle or trailer and they check. Think they want to make sure your not bringing broken down vehicles to be sold or selling used or new tires kinda protecting there owe business. I've be stoped previous trying to cross a vehicle to be repaired and I couldn't prove it ran and they turned me back. Now I saw some UTV cross on trailers and they didn't make them unload. Maybe there more use to them ? So I think it depends. They told me It is Mexico law and actually what is required at ever border crossing by Aduana. I think Score and others are more proactive and let's them know a bunch of racers are coming thus things are a little easier on the baja side. I let the race promoter know what was going on so will see if they try to intervene. It was a good race so I'm looking forward to more. Glen

a_delaree

Reaction
I usually present the OHV Registration and title for my Class 9, that gets me by the Nogales check point. Only bummer is that OHV Registration doesn't have a VIN number on the registration, only the license plate and owner information (I have the license plate on the car with zip ties then take off the plate when I race). I also ask for an additional document from MVD that has the vehicle information, my name and vin, but its an unofficial document. I'm always polite and tell folks at the check point, this vehicle is only intended for off-road use, therefore it only has a Off-Road/RV registration. I've never been turned back and have participated in like 6-7 races in Sonora. OR you can fully register your car and makes the process a little smoother.

Reaction
What about an AZOHVR, with the little m/c sized plate? CA accepted that.

Glen Greer

Reaction
Got all race vehicles and pre runners I own inspected level one or two at AZ MVD to get a small blue AZ vin tag with numbers the old dodges had vin numbers. Then they gave me titles followed by OHV plate with registration matching vin tag for pure race vehicles that I don't drive on road and special construct titles with registration for pre runners have regular plate with insurance for road. It didn't cost a lot just some of my time and some hair pulling at MVD but it's possible. I also think the more we cross at nogales they could get used to it also. Long story short lets get more race cars out of the garage to smaller races and have fun again. Glen

Bricoop

Reaction
Got all race vehicles and pre runners I own inspected level one or two at AZ MVD to get a small blue AZ vin tag with numbers the old dodges had vin numbers. Then they gave me titles followed by OHV plate with registration matching vin tag for pure race vehicles that I don't drive on road and special construct titles with registration for pre runners have regular plate with insurance for road. It didn't cost a lot just some of my time and some hair pulling at MVD but it's possible. I also think the more we cross at nogales they could get used to it also. Long story short lets get more race cars out of the garage to smaller races and have fun again. Glen
How much is it to title them?

Glen Greer

Reaction
How much is it to title them?
Title fee 5$ registration fee was 8 $ plus a fee on value of my recites around 200$ and level 1 inspection. 20$ Told them was only using off-road they where pretty helpful. AZ MVD web page has all info. Glen

fatsaz

Reaction
Glen bring your TT down to the rocky point race on oct. Perrin is in sept I’m doing a bbq down there. Look up southern Arizona desert racing on facebook for more info on pre run.

Glen Greer

Reaction
Glen bring your TT down to the rocky point race on oct. Perrin is in sept I’m doing a bbq down there. Look up southern Arizona desert racing on facebook for more info on pre run.
Did the pre run on point to point race 2 years ago intending on going to race got the flu race week had to set out. There was a BBQ when I went and food was great. The Sonoita area race course is nice to run the sand down lower is not my favorite but didn't seem as bad / deep when I raced in the 90 s down there . Little farther going over that way for us but wil try to support your organization if we have something to run . Glen