• Forum membership has its advantages....

Sorry new Q:Dual Sports

Dezertpilot

Been toying with the idea of getting a 4 stroke dual sport in the summer time. I was thinking KTM at 500cc or bigger. MAybe 6 or 650. I have a friend that works at Yamaha but she says that they dont carry any bigger than a 250cc or so. Then she says that KTMs are like real expensive. 3 times the amount for one part than a Yamaha part. She said that they are good bikes just expensive, then she reccomended Honda dont they make the XR650 or something along those lines. I want this bike to be able to ride back and forth to work 8 miles down the road then be able to fill up and go to the MORE/MDR races and spectate/pit and then ride home. Whats the top speeds on these bikes and how far can they go on a tank? Cant I put on a dezert tank for extended cruising? Are these green stickers and what prices am I looking at? Sorry for all the newb Q's I am new to bikes but it seems like alot of fun!:)

PBR

the first thing you should know when you talk about "dual sports" is that there are only a few that you can buy new. in january 2004 the law changed and you can no longer register an off road bike with a plate in california, although rumor has it that they are changing things back. so the only true dual sport bikes you can buy are the suzuki drz-s, honda xlr 650, kawi klr 650 and the husky's you can now get with a plate. i really like the husky from everything i have read but they are definitly not for everyone. the other thing to do is buy a used bike that already has a plate on it. there is lots of info on www.thumpertalk.com

now to the bikes... ktm parts a slightly more expensive than honda parts but it really depends on what you are buying... you can now buy just about anything aftermarket so the prices are the same no matter what brand you are buying for... ktm parts are very easy to find and there are some great dealers in socal. the drz-s is a very good dual sport bike, you can ride it to work and take it to the dirt on weekends with some mods (suspension, plastic tank, jetting, tires, etc). if you can find a used xr650 with a plate they are great bikes and last forever, but kickstarting a bike on the street is a drag. the kawi klr is a pig, more for street than dirt.

i hope this helps.

JohnnyAirtime

If I can help....

I came off a CRF450 for Dunes and the local tracks... and I also had an XR650R that was dual-sported that I rode in Baja and wherever else my 450 didn't take me....

HOWEVER....
I sold'em both to buy a Husqvarna TE510. A street legal, electric start, RACE bike that works better than I had ever expected. It's right dead center in between both bikes in regards to most everything I wanted. From weight, to power to... well, everything.

Most my dual-sported friends will be going this route soon... most of the ones with XRs anyway.

About KTM... who'd buy an Orange bike? That's a darn fruit! LOL... j'k'ing... I don't know enough about them to knock'em... some of my friends love there KTMs.

J-

dunerking

Sorry tho bring up a old subject,but I was curious if anyone has plated(Ca.)in the last few monthes?A few different people mentioned that by going to more rural DMV's is a better route.Is this true?Thanks for any help.

Bassman

All 2007 KTM EXCs will be street legal. As good or better than the Husqvarna TEs. And have a better dealer network for parts and service.

PBR

dunerking said:
Sorry tho bring up a old subject,but I was curious if anyone has plated(Ca.)in the last few monthes?A few different people mentioned that by going to more rural DMV's is a better route.Is this true?Thanks for any help.
people are still getting it done and done legally, but you must be very persistant and don't stop until you have a plate in your hand. some guys end up going to at least 4 different dmv's in order to get it done. josh kleske here on rdc just had his bike done by http://www.californiadualsport.com/ and he said it was totally painless and walked out of the dmv with a plate.

Total Loss

My opinion- buy one already done. I ride a 96 Klx 650 R for pre-running, dual sports and generally wheeling around town. It still runs and handles great, and I may be selling it for $2800-3000. The best all around off-road and highway- xr650r. You can buy one with goodies already converted for $4000-$4500 and are bullitproof.
The big bikes are better on long rides...

dunerking

dezracer E said:
My opinion- buy one already done. I ride a 96 Klx 650 R for pre-running, dual sports and generally wheeling around town. It still runs and handles great, and I may be selling it for $2800-3000. The best all around off-road and highway- xr650r. You can buy one with goodies already converted for $4000-$4500 and are bullitproof.
The big bikes are better on long rides...
I brought back to life my older 91 DR-350 which had RM inverted forks,White Brothers rear shock,La Bine thumper kit and really enjoyed the bike on and off road.I sold that to a friend and found a YZF426 that I want to dual sport.It already has the BD kit but I understand that I may need to put on either a WR stator or E line's custom stator.But over at District 37.com alot of the dual sport guys are running the Trick dual sport kit.I fill pretty good about going through the DMV with all the proper certs.and paper work.Let me know what you guys think about the YZF as a dual sport bike.Thanks

JohnnyAirtime

Sold the Husky... and....
Just got my '05 450X (race bike) done... CA lic. Plate! Woo Hoo!

... If you'd like, I can reveal my sources. ;) :D

PBR

dunerking said:
I brought back to life my older 91 DR-350 which had RM inverted forks,White Brothers rear shock,La Bine thumper kit and really enjoyed the bike on and off road.I sold that to a friend and found a YZF426 that I want to dual sport.It already has the BD kit but I understand that I may need to put on either a WR stator or E line's custom stator.But over at District 37.com alot of the dual sport guys are running the Trick dual sport kit.I fill pretty good about going through the DMV with all the proper certs.and paper work.Let me know what you guys think about the YZF as a dual sport bike.Thanks

call dale a trick dual sport he is a great guy and very helpful... is the 426 a good dual sport bike??? it really depends on how much hwy you are going to ride compared to dirt. my ktm 520 is plated but the only time i ever really ride it on the street is to transition from the dirt and an occasional ride to work (but cops look at you real funny on a full moto machine in hollywood). it would be fine for true dual sport rides but not as a commuter.

PBR

JohnnyAirtime said:
Sold the Husky... and....
Just got my '05 450X (race bike) done... CA lic. Plate! Woo Hoo!

... If you'd like, I can reveal my sources. ;) :D

reveal!!! or pm me if that's better.

dunerking

I would ride 50/50 on and off road,I would like to cruise it to work,but I don't plan on riding alot on the freeways.Mainly on the streets or the trail.And not to much going over 70 mph,unless it's in the dirt.I live in the valley Shadow Hills,and mostly would ride to Culver City,Burbank,or Hollywood for work.Thanks

PBR

i ride mine from culver city to hollywood every once in a while and to the valley sometimes and it's fine (maybe once or twice a month), but if you're going to do it on a regular basis i would look into some supermoto wheels to swap out when you are just riding it on the street. my big knobbies on the street are a handful.

JohnnyAirtime

PBR said:
reveal!!! or pm me if that's better.
PM sent.

And let me help some of you out.
A small secret is to use "DMV services". Or people who do the DMV leg work for you. One that is aware of your "dual registration" laws and which papers you need. What Ts to cross...etc.

It's as simple as going in prepared, with the right paperwork and having it all ready (as well as being legal). But most importantly to know what your doing. If you stand at the counter and sound like ... "duh... I uh... well, no...it's uhhh... I left it... uhh, in my car... duh" you'll for sure be looked at as unprepared and your paperwork will be thoroughly checked over. One missing item and your sent back to the drawing board.

If your in San Diego area, and want assistance with a currently green stickered bike that has all the components to be "Streetable"... PM me and I'll send you a phone number. She does great work.

;)

dunerking

Johnny,thanks I'll PM you when I get all the T's crossed.I've been doing alot of reading both District 37 and Thumper talk,to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible.
PBR,the Supermoto wheels and brake set-up is sweet!Maybe when I hit those Lottery numbers!thanks for the info.

Rich35

I think if you're going to spent 50% of your time on the street you would be best to look in the trader for an XR650R that somebody has already plated. They run about 3K on average and would be the most bomb proof, least expensive, painless way to go to get what you want/need.

I struggle with this issue on a daily basis. I think a man needs at least 3 bikes ( my wife could argue that one but what does she know).

An MX bike that you can race moto on and also use to race desert. 450 4STRK

A woods/play bike that can be used as a back up race bike. I sit the fence here between a green sticker legal (older) 250 2 strk and a 250 4 strk because you can plate a 250 4 strk

A desert sled (XR650R) with two wheel sets, one with street tires and one with knobbies so you can ride it to work, just take off and get lost for a couple days or use it to race the longer SCORE races.

XR650R has been a killer DS bike. I like the BD quick disconnect kit functionability to boot. Having an XR loaded with goodies and being plated is prime for the larger rider..... not fat large, big large. At 6'2 and 220 the bike fits me like a glove with minor mods to the pegs and bars.

Josh_K

I ws up in Bishop last May and the local Honda dealer there was sell brand new crf450X's right off the dealer floor with a plate. I dont know what his trick is, but I think he was marking them up about $1k for the plate and Baja kit.

The guy at Californiadualsport is a bit of a flake but he got the job done on my 04 husky tc450 (green sticker). I bought the bike new for $3,300.00 in 05 and the plate and baja kit was $1,300.00 installed so it all worked out in the end. The only real issue I had the plating issue with the plating process was that the install on the Baja kit was junk and I had to rewire it after i got the bike back.

dunerking

I was trying to set myself up with something a little smaller and lighter than a XR650,and not brand new.Electric start would be nice for when riding the streets.