Sound Deadening in Cab

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I am looking to strip the interior of my ranger ext cab and put a full cage in, seats, dash etc. I have seen pictures of trucks done like this, but the interior is bare metal. I was thinking of spraying the interior with Line-X to make it look better and for functionality, but I have been told when you take the carpet out, you take the sound deadening material with it. So I figure I can buy some DynaMat or something like that to lay down first, then spray it with the Line-X. Will this work well? Has anyone tried this? If so, what are som good companies that make sound deadening material? thanks

LVprerunners.com

evan_clanin

i havent done it my self, but i know i have seen some stuff in crutchfeild for noise insulation, i dono if this would work, or how that product works, but just the first thing that came to mind

i wana be like austin when i grow up, he gets all the chicks

John Bitting

Administrator
Its called Dynomat and its pretty expensive, but it works pretty good for what most people use it for. Usually people use it to make the trucks and doors to make it more solid. I was looking into that and and Rockford Fosgate has a spray on system. I am about to do something to my blazers doors, I will let you know how it works.

"faster than it looks"

elcaprerunner

The Donahoe Tundra (gotta bring this up again) has DynoMat all over the inside and it works great. When the inside was bare metal (before the interior got done) you could hear everything when you were riding in it........loudass motor, the bypasses "clicking" since the rear ones are tied into the cage, and since he has BFG Projects when you would hit the reflectors in the road when you change lanes it would drown out the stereo and your voice if you were talking. The stereo guy put DynoMat all over the inside under the interior and now you don't hear any of those things, accept the motor is not as loud but it is fun to listen to, especially with the supercharger. :) Because the roll cage is so tucked into the cab they put the headliner over the X in the roof, but you can still see the whole outline of it and it looks tits too. Are you planning on tucking the cage and doing the headliner like that?

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests

rdc

i was planning on removing the headliner altogether and not even bother with puting it back on. Also where can i find premade custom dashes, either carbon fber or fiberglass thanks

LVprerunners.com

JBO

If you sprayed it thick with Line-X, wouldn't that alone block a lot of the sound...or no?
My friend had a '73 TLC, and had the whole tub ryno lined, and the sound wasn't bad in that thing (when the top was on)

John Bitting

Administrator
I also heard Rhino lining works. I think what you are doing is adding weight to the metal, any form whether its stick on pads or spray on will help take the noise out of a tingy hollow truck.

"faster than it looks"

rdc

so should I just Line-X it, or should I add a layer of dynamat or equivalent before i spray it?

LVprerunners.com

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
You can use the insulation for roofing as a sound deadener...it is about 1/10 the cost of dynomat and if you dont mind the smell for about a month is better. A lot of minitruck guys with big stereo guys use to do it.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

John Bitting

Administrator
Someone posted that McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) had a sound dampening product that was the same as Dynomat for 20% of the cost of Dynomat. I ordered a couple sheets and can confirm that it is EXACTLY the same product as Dynomat, just without Dynomat logos printed on it. Cost is ~$12/sheet versus ~$80 sheet for Dynomat. On the McMaster website, search for acoustical insulation, it is the high temperature mastic on the first page.

Type in this Adhesive-Back Damping Sheets That is what I found, I dont know if its Identical. I took the statement above off the web.

"faster than it looks"

ntsqd

A friend doing a Datsun 510 project found something like what you're talking about at Home Depot for pretty cheap.

One thing I've thot about when considering putting Rhyno/Line-X/etc. over the stuff is to make some fairly big holes in the mastic ('Rosette' holes if you will) so that the liner material isn't spanning the full distance of the mastic section w/o being able to bond to metal. I know it will bond to the mastic, but I wonder about peel-away due to separation of the mastic after a couple of months.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

SpareChangeRacng

From what I have heard line-x/rhino/etc. will sound deaden the cab by itself. Meaning don't waste the extra $$ on the dynomat. I plan on line-xing my cab and not adding any other sort of dynomat sheet or whatever. Steve

Waldo

Safehouse
Call line-x, they did it all the time for the "mini-truck" magazine trucks and other build-ups.

Confucius Say - "For every man who do Flying-W, come down with nuts in mouth."