Sound like a scam?

ChromolyKid

Reaction
Got this e-mail from a guy who saw my ad here on the classifieds. Seems fishy (or phishy, hehe) to me, what do you think?
I don't want to respond and give them my e-mail address if it's really a mass-spamming super computer.
If you're the person that sent this, let me know it's legit and I'll respond. I apologize ahead of time if that's the case, it's just worded a little odd...

This message from: (I'll keep this anonymous incase the guy's legit) to ( ad # 55951 )
Hi,

This is in regard to your posted advert.I am interested in your ( Bike ),Kindly get back to me if still available and also let me know your asking price.
Will be waiting to read from you asap.

Regards.

Ballack Miller

Last edited:

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
Don't ship your bike to Nigeria.... no matter how much money he sends you.

Agree with Dan200, but if you really want to play it out, set-up a simple "screwoffscammer@hotmail.com" address and respond to him.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
Personally unless they give me a full detail of what I am selling, and they just use some generic phrase, then they ask for the price which is in the ad, I treat it as a scam.

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Reaction
Personally unless they give me a full detail of what I am selling, and they just use some generic phrase, then they ask for the price which is in the ad, I treat it as a scam.
Totally agree with you there!!

Think about how you would respond to an ad... you wouldn't ask if the item was still available you'd ask if the bike was style available and you wouldn't ask the price because you know what it is from reading the ad :)

ChromolyKid

Reaction
Thanks for reassuring me everyone. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being paranoid. I'm desperate to sell the bike so any offers are sounding tempting! Haha :eek: but this one's going in the trash. Kudos to everybody who took the time to respond!

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
Try Craigslist too. It's easier to point out the scammers.

MattV

Reaction
If it seems like it's not right, it probably isn't. Obviously it makes you suspicious or you wouldn't have brought it up. I'd ignore it and not respond.

ChromolyKid

Reaction
Try Craigslist too. It's easier to point out the scammers.
I've got it listed on Craigslist for the Inland Empire as well, along with the whiteboystoys.com classifieds, but thanks for the tip.

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Thanks for reassuring me everyone. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being paranoid. I'm desperate to sell the bike so any offers are sounding tempting! Haha :eek: but this one's going in the trash. Kudos to everybody who took the time to respond!

Don't trash it, have fun with it. Tell the guy the interest in the bike is huge and you have doubled the price. Ask him if he is still interested and if he says yes and offers to send you a check. Tell him that once again the offers keep comming in and the price has gone up again, you can keep this going for awhile until they get the message. But it is kinda fun to see how stupid they are and how desperate they try to scam you. The fun is when you get creative and start asking for really stupid things from them. I asked one guy for twice the asking price + 2 virgins and a herd of sheep and a camel. He agreed to ship the sheep and camel but was unsure of how to get the virgins to me. LMAO for days. Yeah sometimes I have too time on my hands.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
Don't trash it, have fun with it. Tell the guy the interest in the bike is huge and you have doubled the price. Ask him if he is still interested and if he says yes and offers to send you a check. Tell him that once again the offers keep comming in and the price has gone up again, you can keep this going for awhile until they get the message. But it is kinda fun to see how stupid they are and how desperate they try to scam you. The fun is when you get creative and start asking for really stupid things from them. I asked one guy for twice the asking price + 2 virgins and a herd of sheep and a camel. He agreed to ship the sheep and camel but was unsure of how to get the virgins to me. LMAO for days. Yeah sometimes I have too time on my hands.

X2!

Try this site for some pointers: http://www.dontevenreply.com/all.php

And then there is Jerry from Camburg's thread about dealing with a scammer in Whatever General Discussion that is full of laughs.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
One of my favorites so far

DEAREST FRIEND

CONFIDENTIAL

I KNOW THIS WILL COME TO YOU AS A SURPRISE BECAUSE YOU DO NOT KNOW ME. I AM MR.

Micheal Smith, I WORK IN HSBC BANK LONDON, PACKAGING AND
COURIER DEPARTMENT. I GOT YOUR CONTACT AMONGS OTHERS FROM A SEARCH INTO THE
INTERNET AND WAS INSPIRED TO SEEK YOUR CO-OPERATION.
I WANT YOU TO HELP ME CLEAR THIS PACKAGE THAT IS ALREADY IN AMERICA WHICH I
SHIPPED THROUGH OUR HSBC ACCREDITED COURIER AGENT, THE CONTENT OF THE PACKAGE IS
$20,000,000.00 ALL IN $100.00 BILLS BUT THE COURIER COMPANY DOES NOT KNOW THAT
IT IS MONEY THAT I HAVE IN THE PACKAGE. ALL I WANT YOU TO DO FOR ME NOW IS THIS,
FILL THIS AND GET BACK TO ME, AND I HOPE THAT AT THE END OF THE DAY, YOU WILL
HAVE 30% AND 70% WILL BE FOR ME. MY IDENTITY MUST NOT BE REVEALED TO ANYBODY.

[1] Full Names:
[2] Contact address:
[3] Direct Telephone No:
[4] Date of birth:
[5] Occupation:

IF THIS ARRANGEMENT IS OKAY BY YOU, YOU CAN CALL OR E-MAIL ME, FOR SECURITY
REASONS OTHER MODALITIES WILL BE DISCUSSED AS SOON AS YOU GET BACK TO ME
INCLUDING SENDING OF THE KEYS TO THE BOXES TO YOU.

NOTE: COMMUNICATION SHOULD BE STRICTLY THROUGH MY PRIVATE E-MAIL AND PHONE FOR
SECURITY REASONS +447031821861.

YOURS FAITHFULLY,
Micheal Smith
+447031821861

crazyjohnny

Reaction
see how the product he wants is in Parenthesis ( )? They just put what you are selling in the parenthesis with the genaric email. Definately a scam!

ChromolyKid

Reaction
his name ryhmes with BALLSACK!!!! jajaja

jajaja that's a dead giveaway... It MUST be a scam with a name like that!

I recently got an e-mail too from a guy in EUROPE, claiming he's coming to California for two weeks specifically to buy a Chevy Prerunner and that he was interested in mine... I sent him pictures and what not, he seemed legit, but I haven't heard from him since. Just thought that was odd... Maybe the Baja 300 Powerdays encouraged Europeans to get into off-road trucks?