Sound off about TORC and LOORRS for 2010

speedfun

Reaction
With CORR going away in December it looked like we were doomed and now short coarse racing has 2 series. At this time with all that has transpired what would you like to see for 2010 with TORC and LOORRS
Speak your mind about the rules- events too close to each other- the costs of entry’s – the TV package- drivers union – tire rules-pay back$- ANYTHING you think will help!!
Like it? Hate it? Leave it? Change it ???????????????????????????????
IF IT IS NOT SAID NO ONE WILL HEAR
Speak your mind and make a difference hopefully some great ideas will be said and the promoters will hear us the racers!
I hope every person on RDC takes the time to write something.
One post per person so make it good
No bashing please (yet-- that’s the next post heheh )
In a few weeks we can add it all up and see how we the racers would like to continue into 2010 with the promoters

07FJRog

Reaction
1, I would to see one series again, but travel costs still limit this.

2. both kept the show going pretty good IMO

3. More buggies, UTV's, Pro-lites and Trophy Karts ( 3 classes) in LOORRS, more pro 2/4 trucks in Torc. it seemed.

4. I would have liked to race a couple races on the west coast swing in Torc, but the up front fees kept me from doing so. ie.. dif radios, dif transponder, and another license fee. no dif than LOORRS, but this makes it harder on low budget teams.

5. racing under the lights is pretty cool in both series, say sat night then sunday afternoon races would be nice.

6. camping on site at all venues for spectators with a weekend pass should be available everywhere, I like to go for a whole weekend even as a spectator.:)

7. open pits to the public is one of the best in short course IMO and prices seem fair to me.

8. All classes should run after opening ceremonies!!!!!

thanks for the time

Rog

speedfun

Reaction
I guess I should go first seeing how I started this?
I would like to see one name for both series it can be presented like this
The Ultimate Off Road Racing series brought to by Lucas oil or Traxxas R/C cars
Each using the same name and logo and a shared theme and format
The same classes rules and hopefully competitors
I don’t ever want to see any promoter tell a racer he cant come race because of the company sponsoring his car it’s the way we make it to a race –its like saying the race is only for Chevys if you have a Ford you cant race because chevy paid for the TV.
I think we should be on a DOT tire and every manufacture should present the tire they are going to use for the year at the start of the year. NO CHANGES And like in the MTEG instead of the tire company giving one person a truck load of money and tires—the racers should receive just the tires they need for the races for free –and a pay out to the racers like the MTEG had if your first on a good year you get X amount all the way down to the top 5 on that brand– So let me be clear on this you finished 3rd in the race but 1st on Good year you get the X amount for being 1st on good years you finished 6th but the first on BFG you get the X amount for being 1st on BFG.
I think we have some teams that are better than the ones winning all the time? but throw on a project tire at the same Tire sponsored racer every time we are going to see the same team winning all the time.
This gets rid of the BS with tires and now helps all the racers. Next I would NOT like to see anyone working for ether of the series doing teck or calling any penalties during the races !! this has been and is still not fair I don’t have to say any more do I?
Pay backs—what in the heck is the promoter doing ? we should be getting 100% + we are the show HAY PROMOTERS GO PROMOTE AND MAKE YOUR MONEY FROM THE GATE!!! AND IF YOU CANT MAKE A PROFIT YOU SHOULD GO FIND ANOTHER JOB!! Do some marketing make a show people want to come see! we the racer spend thousands to make your show and to show up!! This means if my entry is $1000 I expect a place to pit!! Your hands are in my pants pockets more than my girlfriend!! So Im screaming rape the next time!!! You got it? and a entry should include pit passes for the team like 5 team members for the trucks and 3 for the buggies.
I think the camera should show all the cars or trucks or most of them at some point.
Ok this was my thinking of what can be done for 2010
Now speak your mind and remember this is for everyone to here your thoughts not to agree or disagree yet!!
THANKS

ryant35

Reaction
I think both series are doing fine. I have never understood the "only one series" mentality. :confused:

I've never understood it either. I hope for next year an improved economy so some more teams can race in both series.

And more night races for LOORRS in the summertime! July was awesome!

speedfun

Reaction
CART AND THE IRL thought it would work too we should learn from other peoples mistakes
Do you know how FOX ABC and speed all cover the same series?
now think? what if each one wanted it all to them selfs?
lets see Hendrick motorsports could be with ABC and DEI with fox --
do you get the picture? :confused:
we are one motorsport like NASCAR or NFL or NBL
I could be wrong but would you please tell me of a national sport that the drivers or players dont stand under one name?

pappawheely

O.G. Photo
Reaction
CART AND THE IRL thought it would work too we should learn from other peoples mistakes
:confused:
Other peoples mistakes are just that, Other peoples mistakes. I have faith in TORC and LOORRS to keep on providing the best racing action on the planet.

spalind

Reaction
I think the primary reason that a single series is desireable is from a purely selfish fan's point of view. Fans of the sport would like to see ALL the best racers in ALL the classes run against one another at each event instead of some in one series and some in another. Obviously both series are doing OK this year with adequate truck counts in each class, good attendance, and decent TV coverage. Whether they are making money or not is another question entirely. I suspect that both are running in the red (just a hunch) and I'm not sure that combining into a single series would change that in the short term.

All that being said, I am EXTREMELY interested to see who shows up for the non-points, post regular season, LOORRS event. The big question to me is IF the PDG and/or TORC will lean (gently suggest?) that their racers not show up to a race in which they have no competing interest (their season is over so why would they care if their racers run there?). That will be telling in whether the sport will continue to fracture until one or the other series fails.

hoeker

Reaction
i hope for all of us that nothing major changes next year. 2 series with good TV and no conflicting dates gives us all hope to find funding to race on.

First and foremost we need to show stability in the short course off road racing world.

CMI CHUCK

Reaction
I cant believe you started this up again!:mad:

Someone please lock this thread down.

dirtmankj

Reaction
It would be nice if both TORC and LOORS would get together and combine as one series. It might be easier for everyone to get sponsors. The racing will be exciting due to the fact that there will be more trucks to race.

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
1, I would to see one series again, but travel costs still limit this.

2. both kept the show going pretty good IMO

3. More buggies, UTV's, Pro-lites and Trophy Karts ( 3 classes) in LOORRS, more pro 2/4 trucks in Torc. it seemed.

4. I would have liked to race a couple races on the west coast swing in Torc, but the up front fees kept me from doing so. ie.. dif radios, dif transponder, and another license fee. no dif than LOORRS, but this makes it harder on low budget teams.

5. racing under the lights is pretty cool in both series, say sat night then sunday afternoon races would be nice.

6. camping on site at all venues for spectators with a weekend pass should be available everywhere, I like to go for a whole weekend even as a spectator.:)

7. open pits to the public is one of the best in short course IMO and prices seem fair to me.

8. All classes should run after opening ceremonies!!!!!

thanks for the time

Rog
When would we work on the race cars????!! Stay up all night on Saturday??!!!! :p:p

Steve_Naughton

Reaction
I have never understood the "only one series" mentality. :confused:
Mike, I agree with you. I actually think our sport would benefit if there were more series (local and regional series: east, south, etc...) This way people could get into the sport without having to travel across the country.

But I also think our sport would benefit greatly if it had only one top level where the best of the best compete (an NFL, Supercross, Nascar Sprint Cup type level) Our sport doesn't have that. Our sport has a lot of great drivers spread across several classes and two series (very diluted.) It's like filling a glass with half Coke and half water, which is pretty much what IRL did when it split. The creation of a concentrated mix of the best drivers competing in a single top level class would be the best thing that could happen to shortcourse. And who knows, maybe someone will create it someday. Maybe it will be Robby Gordon or Jimmie Johnson or Feld Motorsports or someone like that (people who understand this concept) And then LORRS and TORC will be feeder series.

eric2448

Reaction
I think it would be cool to see one of the series' step up and market one of the pro classes as "The Premier" class to be in.

Steve_Naughton

Reaction
I think it would be cool to see one of the series' step up and market one of the pro classes as "The Premier" class to be in.
I agree. But the way the heads of shortcourse seems to work is they'll just start calling all the classes "the premier" class. It will be the new buzz word for 2010, like how calling everthing "pro" has been the buzzword last few years. I think the 80/20 rule needs to be applied to purse, tv, pit spots, advertising, etc. for there to be a true premier class.

dnf736

Reaction
I honestly don’t pay enough attention to who is racing the Premier classes but one cool thing that could spice things up between the two series is to have a year end TORC/LOORRS shoot-out between the series, kind of like they do with the 250 class in Supercross at the year end race in Vegas*, that is if there are enough drivers between the two series.

*actually the East/West riders race against each other twice during the SX season.

Also, theres seems to be movement for a street bike (R1) powered Rhino class at LOORRS.

I say Rhino because Yamaha has yet to release a twin cylinder engine that could be competitive with the Kawasaki and Polaris UTV.

This move would extend the life of the Rhino racers investment, at one point there were 20ish race Rhinos out there. Ill bet there are only two max at Speedworld in October.

My limited thoughts.

baja619

Reaction
I honestly don’t pay enough attention to who is racing the Premier classes but one cool thing that could spice things up between the two series is to have a year end TORC/LOORRS shoot-out between the series, kind of like they do with the 250 class in Supercross at the year end race in Vegas*, that is if there are enough drivers between the two series.

My limited thoughts.

It is already on the schedule

http://lucasoiloffroad.com/schedule.htm
December 11-12 The Lucas Oil Challenge Cup, Lake Elsinore, CA

Perfect for anyone since it is outside and after the TORC and LOORS Championships have been decided. This is the race for all to come and duke it out with the gloves off and show who is the best of the best.

Now how do we determine who will be there is another question. What is the estimated purse? What is the draw for racers from either series to attend since the series races are over with and completed?
It is a long haul and expensive for any team to prepare and compete. I want to know what Lucas Oil, Rockstar, and whomever else is going to step up and create a successful event, and hammer the nail that will showcase the 2009 season.

Here is the only PR I know about for this event.

NBC to Televise Rockstar Energy Lucas Oil Off Road Challenge Cup

August 19, 2009
The Rockstar Energy Lucas Oil Challenge Cup, the finale to the 2009 short course off road racing season, will be broadcast on NBC, Saturday, January 2nd at 2pm ET. The stand alone event, to be held on December 11th and 12th after all regular season championships have been determined; will feature unprecedented purses in a variety of short course off road racing classes.

This NBC special event will be presented in addition to the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series broadcast that will air on Sunday, November 29th, also on NBC. The November 29th airing will feature the conclusion of the series 2009 inaugural season championships that will be determined at the Primm Motorsports Complex on Novermber 14th and 15th.

Also, make sure to check two full hours of action from Lake Elsinore rounds 7&8 featuring Todd and Kyle LeDuc, Brian Deegan, Rob Naughton and Chris Brandt in exciting Unlimited 4, Unlimited 2 and Unlimited Lite short course off road racing action on SPEED Saturday, August 23rd at 1PM and 2PM ET.

The Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series (LOORRS) is the evolution of the long standing support of short course racing by Forrest Lucas and Lucas Oil Products. Steeped in the Midwest tradition of short course off road racing infused with a West Coast influence, LOORRS brings intense four wheel door to door action to challenging, fan friendly tracks. Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series: This is Short Course. For more information please visit Lucasoiloffroadracing.com

dnf736

Reaction
It is already on the schedule

http://lucasoiloffroad.com/schedule.htm
December 11-12 The Lucas Oil Challenge Cup, Lake Elsinore, CA
What can I say, great minds think alike ;)

Seriously though, if this is their intent then it should be sold as such, The Grudge Match, or The TORC VS LOORRS shoot out, or the East VS West Grudge Match Shoot Out between us and those other guys.

The Challenge Cup doesnt really sell the concept IMO but we race a UTV so what do I know. :D