SpaceX SN8

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
It was AWESOME!

The way the rocket went from bellyflop to vertical was insane! Just a few more tweaks and they will stick the landing.

Moon and Mars... here we come!

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Apparently, SN15 is when the big changes are coming.

It was very cool to see SN8 operating with the three engines and all the thrust vectoring going on with that.

I am still smiling from ear to ear thinking about that belly flop to vertical transition. TOO COOL!

I am looking forward to SN9 for sure!

Blood Eagle

Class Act
Reaction
Apparently, SN15 is when the big changes are coming.

It was very cool to see SN8 operating with the three engines and all the thrust vectoring going on with that.

I am still smiling from ear to ear thinking about that belly flop to vertical transition. TOO COOL!

I am looking forward to SN9 for sure!

One of the three engines seemed to flame out pretty quickly? Planned or something wrong?

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
I am not fully up to speed on what was planned.

From my viewing, I gathered it launched with 3 engines. At a certain altitude it appeared 1 engine shut off with the two others continuing. (If this was unplanned, then a HUGE props to the controls team for having the 2 engines take over without much issue).

Later on it seemed that another engine shut off leaving only one engine on.

IMO, these were tests to see how the rocket would perform with an engine out and again with two engines out. Looked like a big success to me! (no spiraling out of control or major trajectory changes)

Eventually, Starship will be getting 27 engines. LOTSA POWAAA

(Pretty sure the fairing catching on fire was not planned but also probably was not a big worry)

DGruper

Reaction
Caught the video and what they did was pretty friggin impressive. Blast off, throttle way back, quick run up to FL410, slide back and then rotate sideways and let the flaps slow the descent rate, then pop back to vertical and land. Just a little bit of math involved and innovative engineering being proven out in real time. Even though it blew up upon landing, like Elon said, they got all the data they wanted. Fixing the landing will be easy.
Like MG said, 27 engines when pointed towards Mars. The sonic mayhem that thing will create during liftoff will be unlike anything ever done before. No wonder he had to buy the island. No telling what will happen.
Go SpaceX!

Bricoop

Reaction
Seems like flame out was due to low fuel pressure. They expected only a 1 in 3 chance that it would make it that far.

Very cool. And the end result of this will be 5G available everywhere on the planet. Streaming desert races will no longer be a challenge. Maybe even bring back prime time broadcasts one day!

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
Used to be Southern California, Good Riddance!
I have a ton of respect for what Elon Musk and SpaceX are doing. Musk's ultimate goal is Mars and the progress SpaceX has made in that endeavor, I'm sure they will be the first manned mission to Mars, with NASA watching from the sidelines.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Looks like it needed another engine on for the thrust needed for that maneuver.

Another RUD (Random Unscheduled Disassembly)....

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Who's ready to go to mars!?

Seriously though, their LEO mesh network will make it possible to stream desert races quite easily. Put a camera in every truck. Only place you might need a drone is in a canyon.
Somebody call Elon!

We need the TT cybertruck asap.