SpaceX SN8

me_be_db1

Reaction
Did anyone watch the recovery team?
Notice what they used to ground the vehicle, for static discharge?
They used a 42"-48" T-handle, similar to what a soils tech would use, probably brass though...
@ the 1:56:15 mark, in the above video, you can see the tech uses 1 arm to stab the rod.
It really didn't penetrate that deep and would be very easily removed.
As they stated, a large amount of static electricity is built up on vehicles in space.

I would think this should help those concerned about grounding fuel towers.
we have been using a 24" brass rod on our truck mount fuel rigs, AGM designed and built, and pound it in as deep as possible
depending on soil type. sometimes only 5-6"... I'm good with our system. now.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Website
www.offroadaction.com
jeff-bezos-dr-evil-2.jpegjeff-bezos-dr-evil.jpeg

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Seems like Rich and Jeff spent a lot of money to make an inferior product. Could have rented Elon's ride for a fraction of the cost. Jeff said he's spending $1B/yr on BO.
Completely different goals, so I would not say inferior. Richard and Jeff are targeting sub-orbital space tourism launches.

Nothing they launch will reach orbit. That was not the intent.

bajaherbie

Reaction
Both flights were impressive! I thought it was neat when just before the landing a large blast of air came out to cushion the landing!

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
I thought it was neat when just before the landing a large blast of air came out to cushion the landing!
That was very cool to see!

I wonder what the turnaround time is going to be for the two different launch systems.
How long until the Blue Origin is refurbished and ready for the next flight vs. Virgin Galactic?

I imagine the capsule didn't endure too much in terms of re-entering the atmosphere.

J Prich

Reaction
Sucks for Branson. He was the first rich white guy to blow a lot of money to go in to "space". Pretty much no outrage, no memes, etc. But then Bezos does the same and it's all the rage, lol.

DGruper

Reaction
Completely different goals, so I would not say inferior. Richard and Jeff are targeting sub-orbital space tourism launches.

Nothing they launch will reach orbit. That was not the intent.
Suborbital, shallow space travel from one continent to another shouldn’t be too far off in the future. It would seem to me that the VG method can be turned quicker and the stresses on the aircraft are more manageable to keep the safety level high.
The problem the business model has is making it affordable for us regular folks to travel that way.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Suborbital, shallow space travel from one continent to another shouldn’t be too far off in the future. It would seem to me that the VG method can be turned quicker and the stresses on the aircraft are more manageable to keep the safety level high.
The problem the business model has is making it affordable for us regular folks to travel that way.
I think neither Blue Origin nor Virgin Galactic plan on any transport use with their current launch systems.
If Virgin Galactic can do away with the need for an aircraft tow/launch, that would be better suited for transport, but even then, you can't fit many people on it.

SpaceX IS fully planning on using Starship as a continent-to-continent transport system.

PS. This SpaceX transport system is NOT intended for you or I or "regular folks".
It is intended for wealthy people who already regularly fly first class, private charters, in their private jets, etc....