Sparco seats and homologated

scottrune007

Reaction
Whats the difference between FIA homologated and TUV homologated
Does anyone know?
i own 3 sparco torinos and was thinking of selling or trading them for some evo's or similar
Is FIA homogolated the only way to go?
or is TVA acceptable?
Thanks for any replies

Cerberus2k7

Reaction
FIA is generally speaking; more recognized with major sanctioning bodies in the US. FIA will AFAIK only be found on bucket seats, while TUV can be found on body bucket and reclining. Honestly, improper seat mounting is more likely to injure you than having the seat fail. But for what it's worth, FIA is generally used more simply due to exclusions some racing bodies have for them. IE NHRA since normally you MUST have it mounted to the back rest if you are running close to single digits, but if the seat is FIA, they will make an exception at tech since they don't have the mounting points and are deemed "strong enough". So really you can't go wrong either way, but if there are concerns, just check the rule book to see if they list which seats are allowed.

07FJRog

Reaction
In all the research I could find, is that "homologated" is a testing level for FIA rated suits and seats etc..

scottrune007

Reaction
So your saying if i mount the seat back of the Torino, I should be fine?
Does anyone have any pics of this type of mount?
or is it just a bar that reinforces the back?

i was looking at the seats more closely and they are a suspension seat, I was kinda leaning away from that...
Any more input
thanks in advance

Cerberus2k7

Reaction
The SCCA says that a "section of tubing equal to the roll bar shall be installed horizontally from the main hoop upright to the diagonal brace. This tube shall be no higher than shoulder height. The driver's seat shall be firmly mounted to the structure of the car. In cars where the seat is upright, the back of the seat shall be firmly attached to the main roll hoop or its cross bracing." I know this isn't the SCCA, but it should be stated in the rule book of whatever class you're trying to race in because a lot of them wont even list them as a requirement. As for the mounts, they can be purchased here: http://www.livermoreperformance.com/seat_mounts.html And here are some pics:

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
TUV is a European quality standard like the DOT is in the US. TUV has nothing to do with race testing.

An FIA homologated seat is being tested to a standard set by through testing and crash research. The FIA standards are changing next year and getting much stricter because of the extra loads the seats are seeing with the head restraint seats.

I'm not aware of any FIA homologated seat manufacturer that recommends a seat back brace, they are engineered and tested to flex and return to their original position. I think the reason SCCA requires a seat back brace is mostly for the aluminum seats to keep them from bending. I think 6 or 7 years ago SCCA was going to make everybody run a seat back brace, but further research had them change them rewrite the rule and only requiring it on non-FIA approved seats.

If you're building a prerunner, the Torino will probably work fine as it's about as safe production car seats if it's mounted properly.

Cerberus2k7

Reaction
TUV is a European quality standard like the DOT is in the US. TUV has nothing to do with race testing.

An FIA homologated seat is being tested to a standard set by through testing and crash research. The FIA standards are changing next year and getting much stricter because of the extra loads the seats are seeing with the head restraint seats.

I'm not aware of any FIA homologated seat manufacturer that recommends a seat back brace, they are engineered and tested to flex and return to their original position. I think the reason SCCA requires a seat back brace is mostly for the aluminum seats to keep them from bending. I think 6 or 7 years ago SCCA was going to make everybody run a seat back brace, but further research had them change them rewrite the rule and only requiring it on non-FIA approved seats.

If you're building a prerunner, the Torino will probably work fine as it's about as safe production car seats if it's mounted properly.
Correct. FIA is not required to have the brace. And usually there will be an exclusion for them in the rule book.