Sparky

Chris

The usually very reliable 351W in our eight truck is on a temporary hiatis meaning it doesn't want to run. It's getting gas (I can see it going into the carb when I turn the fuel pump on) and it's getting spark (although maybe not enough to ignite) but she wont run. When we try to start it it just turns over and over sometimes it sputters for a minute but doesn't really start. We even tried using some starter fluid but it still wont start. Any ideas????? It has the stock duraspark II ignition system. Is is possilbe for something to go out in the ignition system and still allow the engine to spark but not produce enough volts to ignite the fuel???? Thanks much.

Tyson

Have you done anything to it since the last time it ran good? I usually find that it'll be something VERY basic that I should have remembered. Could it be your starter? Are the cables tight and secure? what about the ground on your coil, is it good? Good luck, I know what a B!t(H it can be when you can't start your truck.

Laterz

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops! ! !

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Im not familiar with that duraspark system but if it has a condensor hooked to it replace it cuz that could be the problem, one went out on my old chevy it ran like crap and backfired like a motha' till it finally went out then it did the same thing your truck is doing.

Chris

a co-worker was saying the same thing about a condensor. I'm going to check that tonight.
Thanks.

JCA

The dura sparks are known to run good shut them off and wont work again. I run them on my racetruck and had them on my old prerunner and old motorhome. I always carried spares in each vehicle for that reason. Not that expensive and should have a spare anyway. Try changing that and also take cap of the dist. and make sure rotor is turning as it should. I have seen the pin shear and it still spins but is sending a small spark.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

Chris

We figured it out, it was the coil. We put in a new coil and it backfired once (because it's only static timed since we don't have a timing light yet) and then started right up.

Ryno

15K for a prerunner, and not $100 to spare for a nice snap-on timing light? You're killing me!! =) If it's a 351...I know the EFI motors like to run about 14-16 initial timing, this is with the timing advance connector unplugged. Otherwise I think about 24-28 degrees is right? Ford guys help me out here....

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Chris

Ryno, I know pretty lame huh :) The way I look at it is why buy what I can borrow from my buddies. It is a 351W but it's carburated