• Forum membership has its advantages....

Special Thanks to truck 210 for going backwards on the course

steve0we

I would like to give a special thank you to truck 210 (driver of record Ted Moncure) who decided it was a good idea to run backwards on the race course at RM546 in the silt at night and hit us head on and end our race at the Baja 1000.

My daughter and I had a great pace going after meeting Zac Reish and Erik Irving at the road crossing just prior to that. We needed fuel so we started looking for mag 7 and in the distance saw a car headed directly at us with its top lights on. We stayed in the main grove of the race course and as it got closer we realized they seemed to be headed straight at us. Being in the silt we didn't have many options to avoid the truck going backwards on the race course.

They hit us head on, backed up and drove off without stopping. That was the end of our race.

WE ARE VERY LUCKY THAT WE DIDNT GET INJURED!!!

I have attached a couple GPS tracks showing who did what. I will attach our incar, but with the silt it didn't show much, just audio of me telling him thanks!

I sent him a few messages and he said that hitting us was part of racing and to just handle it. His brother was driving and I should talk to him maybe???

What are everyone's thoughts?
Steve 3-10.PNG
Ted 3-19.PNG

IMG_3928.JPG

Last edited:

Steve Marolda

Looks like one of those "fog-of-war" moments but the way he dealt with it really isn't right. Yes, lucky nobody was hurt.

Mooch2Peril

I really hate hearing this stuff and what happened to you. Similar experiences unfolding with 208 running down hitting 3 or 4 11s. I’m waiting for that thread to get started. The 3 or 4 11s hit are trying to work it out with him but his response was the same as yours from 210 so far.

steve0we

I really hate hearing this stuff and what happened to you. Similar experiences unfolding with 208 running down hitting 3 or 4 11s. I’m waiting for that thread to get started. The 3 or 4 11s hit are trying to work it out with him but his response was the same as yours from 210 so far.
It sure sucks when people don't just say " yep, I F'd up, send me a bill, I am so sorry"
Lots of accidents happen in racing and that is part of it. When you just screw up, own it!

What a heart wrenching experience for the 11 guys. talk about shoe string budget.

Chas Moore

Amateur hour running backwards on the course. So many damn noobs in the 200 class, I cant figure it out. They didnt finish the race, wonder how banged up his **** is?

Josh 8

It's like they have rubber band transmissions.

blue dog

This does not sound like Ted. He has been around the block and as far as I know, is a stand up guy.

Bro_Gill

Backwards on the course should be a DQ. If he is lost, he should be off the course searching for it. If he simply screwed up and missed his pit, he should back track off the course. Regardless, their attitude about this being a racing deal is bull crap. Ever see anyone going backwards at Indy or any Nascar Track and not get some punishment??? Moncure has been racing a long time. This is amateurish.

blue dog

Moncure has been racing a long time.
2 sides to every story, let Ted chime in before you make a judgement and hang the guy that the OP has stated was not even driving when this happened.

Ted and all the Long Beach racers are stand up guys.

Bajated

First, I was in Loreto waiting to get into a truck that never showed up, so my understanding is based on hearsay.

I know that my brother Nick was driving at the time, and Chris Livingston was his navigator. I reached out on facebook to apologize to Steve on behalf of our team for what happened, without knowing all of the facts, because I met one of his crew members the next morning in a gas station in Guerrero Negro while he was taking pictures of our truck. That was the first time I’d heard of the accident. We don’t have go-pro footage in our car and Steve’s is not very clear, but I am not arguing the fact that they hit each other or that our truck was not going the right direction in the silt bed.
After several messages back and forth with Steve, I encouraged my brother to reach out to him, both to explain the details about how he got turned around as well as how they both managed to run into each other in a wide open silt bed. This hasn’t happened yet, hopefully it will soon. I’m in CA but they are both in Texas, maybe they can meet for a beer to discuss it and work something out.
My understanding is the Baja pit was not where it was supposed to be, so they thought they had passed it, and weatherman got on the radio and told them to turn around. They tried to pick their way around the outside of the course but somehow got funnelled into it and hit the other car on an angle. Shortly after the incident our car caught fire, causing us to DNF and doing a lot of damage.

I am glad no one was hurt, and hope it will be resolved. I am open to continued one on one communication from Steve or anyone else, but I’m not going to try this in the court of public opinion, so this will be my only response on RDC.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

rusco

First rule that I learned racing at 17 was NEVER go backwards on the course. Many racing incidents cannot be anticipated especially in Baja...S#it happens. I really doubt that Weatherman told 210 to turn around and go backwards on the course in a silt bed. If you can afford a TT spec or otherwise do the stand up thing and own your mistake brother!

johndjmix

If I counted the amount of chase vehicles going backwards on the course I would have lost count. However, they usually do this very cautiously at slow speeds with a lookout and they always pull off, turn off HIDs, and stop when a race vehicle is approaching.

Honda48X

Oh my God we live in such a litigious society. Racing is racing and accidents are going to happen. There are so many people that go the wrong way on the course from spectators to Chase trucks to race vehicles that may have accidentally somehow got turned around. It happens and we as racers should expect the unexpected. It happened, it was unfortunate.

43mod

No doubt in any sane persons mind that to reverse course and go back you go boon docking to get way the hell out of the way of oncoming race traffic . I have yet to see Weatherman drive anyones car for them much less tell them to go backwards on course.

steve0we

This does not sound like Ted. He has been around the block and as far as I know, is a stand up guy.
It was not Ted, it was his brother. If you look at his gps track he was all over the section multiple times.

steve0we

First, I was in Loreto waiting to get into a truck that never showed up, so my understanding is based on hearsay.

I know that my brother Nick was driving at the time, and Chris Livingston was his navigator. I reached out on facebook to apologize to Steve on behalf of our team for what happened, without knowing all of the facts, because I met one of his crew members the next morning in a gas station in Guerrero Negro while he was taking pictures of our truck. That was the first time I’d heard of the accident. We don’t have go-pro footage in our car and Steve’s is not very clear, but I am not arguing the fact that they hit each other or that our truck was not going the right direction in the silt bed.
After several messages back and forth with Steve, I encouraged my brother to reach out to him, both to explain the details about how he got turned around as well as how they both managed to run into each other in a wide open silt bed. This hasn’t happened yet, hopefully it will soon. I’m in CA but they are both in Texas, maybe they can meet for a beer to discuss it and work something out.
My understanding is the Baja pit was not where it was supposed to be, so they thought they had passed it, and weatherman got on the radio and told them to turn around. They tried to pick their way around the outside of the course but somehow got funnelled into it and hit the other car on an angle. Shortly after the incident our car caught fire, causing us to DNF and doing a lot of damage.

I am glad no one was hurt, and hope it will be resolved. I am open to continued one on one communication from Steve or anyone else, but I’m not going to try this in the court of public opinion, so this will be my only response on RDC.

Thanks for the reply. Like I told you, as a car owner, I am responsible for every person that gets in my car. I didn’t post hearsay, I posted your trucks gps file going all over the race course , ours going directly down the center and the only video we have. You do what you feel is right, I will repair my car and keep racing. It’s true ya shame your brother hasn’t called. You have had my number for quite some time. Maybe if he would have got out to check on us instead of backing up and driving off it wouldn’t suck so bad!

ekozy39

I'm sensing a little sorry not sorry this still might be kinda be your's and weatherman's fault in this post. Glad everyone is ok.

Bro_Gill

Never go backwards on the course if you are a racer. You get off, well off, and slowly pick your way towards where you are going. I didn't even know the specifics and hit the nail- Missed a pit and was looking for it. At most of the races I am at, if someone misses a pit, they usually come in to the missed pit through the back door so they don't screw up someone else's race. Just common sense. This isn't about litigation, it is about doing what's right and what is correct. Don't go backwards on the course (They obviously knew they were travelling backwards), the correct thing would be to travel off the course and look for your pit off the course. The right thing is to help out the car you took out of the race since it wasn't their fault the truck was travelling backwards. People get killed when this happens. Car damage is just luck.