SpecRacer Ford

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
I was checking these things out and they are very cool.

Anyone on here have any experience with them?

Any help at all?

I've heard that they average about 1800.00 a race weekend with prep, entry, travel, and all..........As long as you don't wad it up too bad.........

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

michael_loomis

RDC Crypto
Looks cool Nimmy... But not as cool as Lemons! :)

billymanfroy

RDC Crypto
My brother ran a Stohr DSR car at Thunderhill a couple years back through the SCCA license school. He broke the transmission in the DSR, so he rented a SRF from RJ (the president of SCCA in the SFR region) to finish the weekend. The guys who run the DSR cars call them "Spec Wreckers", which implies they don't like them too much.

John said they have no downforce, power, or grip compared to the DSR cars (which is exactly the point) but he still had fun driving it. I seem to recall it was about 10-15 seconds per lap slower. You may want to rent one a few times to see what it's like, but I'm figuring you'll want to go a lot faster a lot sooner than you think.

There are some smokin' deals (arrive & drive or purchase) out there, so why not?

Billy

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
I think I'm gonna go to a licensing school that offers the SRF..........I've heard them called spin racers cause they have tremendous grip until they don't..........Then it's the ol spin arue.............

I have a buddy who races 1/2 1600 and he drove one at a licensing school and was very impressed and thought they were a blast.........He said they are very similar to a 1/2 1600 in that you really have to keep the momentum up and be very smooth.........

The problem with going faster is everything cost more. The brake pads on the SRF are already a boat load of money and only last about 2 race weekends. I'm sure the DSR's are more...............Every class you step up things like that go up in price.........I'm looking for a fun competitive class that I can afford..........

There are over 1000 spec racer fords in the US and the entry list are normally 30+ which means even if I'm running 27th I will have someone to race against. Another positive is that no one has ever died racing in a SRF. The difference between a slow driver and a fast driver is often times less than 1 second per lap. The racing looks to be very competitive and close.........Looks fun to me

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Now for the tough part...........Trying to get my screwed up heart to pass the medical exam............I think that's gonna be really tough............

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
RDC Crypto
Website
www.upr.com
I've raced and rented SRF's, they're a blast. They are a little scetchy trail braking because all of the grip is in the back, so when they go, they go big like a Porsche.
If you're trying to get your license, you can do it anything so renting a Miata or RX7 may be a bunch cheaper. If your going to spend 1800.00 for a race weekend, I'd do it so you can actually race 2 days after you get licensed. Also, you have to race a few times each year to keep your license or you have to go through the process again.

Are you going to a Cal Speedway school?