Spectating @ the Baja 500

sirhk100

Reaction
Last year we were in the wash in Guadalupe watching the race... This year we're gonna be staying in Ensenada. Where's the good spots to hang out and watch near the start/finish? I want someplace outta the town cause of the insane crowd. A nice whoops section or something would be cool!!! Anyone else gonna be down there to just watch? I'll be bringin the blender and plan on mixing cocktails in the afternoon... We can open the bar trackside!!!

Khris

Gabe Lara

Reaction
The big jump just a few miles down from the road crossing @ Ojos is always good, then you can head into Valle de Trinidad and watch them come through past the power station.
Locals are always "booby trapping" that fast section too.

-Gabe

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I would definitely go to Ojos and then on down to Valley de Trinadad. You can catch them twice and both places are fun to watch. I might be there myself!

Other than that, if you go to Erindera on the coast, it is a fast section, not to crowded and a perfect place to make margaitas while watching the sunset!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I heard that they may have to makes changes to the route due to the sale of Meling Ranch. I'm not sure the new owners are okay with the race. Perhaps Scott can shed some more light......

sirhk100

Reaction
Alright, I've seen this spot on many videos and I personally don't want to go watch here, but my friends that are going down want to try and find it. Can anyone tell me where this is?

http://www.score-international.com/baja500/images/01baja500/bajalrg3.jpg

One other question, Do they actually run WFO down a beach section at Erindira? We would like to go chill on the beach all afternoon if possible. Can we beat the cars from the spot pictured to Erindira if we take off after maybe the 7 open trucks come through?

Thanks,
Khris

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
That's in Ensenada right after the start. They start on pavement and make a couple of turns and drop into a river bed (sewer?). That shot is in the river bed. The locals often build traps and flood the crap out of it when they can. That area gets really crazy with people.

Go to Erendira or Ojos Negros to spectate like someone mentioned before. From my recollection, the racers are charging pretty hard into the town of Erendira but have to negotiate several hairy obstacles so they aren't WFO all the way. If you watched the 7 trucks off the start or by that picture, I don't think you could make it to Erendira in time to watch the fast guys. You would easily make it in time if you are chasing for a 7 truck I think. I could be wrong...

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I have to respectfully disagree with you Baja! If you watch the start, you could definitely make it to Erindera to catch the trucks. Not the motorcycles however.

The only section in Erindera that runs on the beach is about a 500 yard section where they run on big pebbles. Its right next to the ocean. Pretty cool at high tide.

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah, my hopes are to watch in Ojos Negros in the morning and then make it to the Erindira to catch them in the afternoon. From last years map that's 270 miles for them to cover. That's 4.5 hours with an average speed of 60mph. If we stayed at Ojos for 2 hours, could we make it to Erendira in 2.5 hours on the highway? This is all assuming that the coarse is similar. If not, what's the Santo tomas highway 1 section like? Either before or after they get on the highway, assuming it's similar. That would be more distance for them to cover and less distance for us to catch them.

Syko, you coming tonight? I can talk to you there... If I can get there before you have to bail that is...

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Yeah you can definitely cover that distance before them.

michael_loomis

Reaction
i've done it many times ... you just wont see the lead bikes as Travis stated . the one thing i have yet to see in person , is a TT or 1 car hit the shortcut on the pavement section after Santo Tomas.

Erindera is a sweet place to watch , its easy to get to , infact the first place you come to if you take the main road all the way in , is a WFO section around a fence with about 15 -20 feet between the fence and a sheer 150 dropoff into the ocean !

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
They put a railing and/or poles in there now (as of Nov.) so you can no longer hit that uphill shortcut!

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
I wasn't sure of the distance...just going off of memory. Sounds like you'll have no problem. Enjoy

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I saw a bike take the short cut one year, but never a truck. Now, its not even an option.. :-(

frankh

Reaction
I tried that one in are 12 car once made it like 100 ft from the top ended up doing a 180 to get down. I remember wishing for cutting brake about then.

Baja_Seve

Reaction
I did the Erendira shortcut last weekend on a XR650. The upper half is really silted out. Unless they get a bunch of rain, pre-runners will make it fine carnage to spectate on race day.

Seve

PLS

Reaction
Just south of Erindira, at Malibu Sur, I've seen cars drive on the sandy beach. The course runs just East of the beach, but some drivers jump on the sand and then get back on the course where there is a big hairpin turn through a wash running on to the beach. It is south of the little RV park where there are some American owned homes. We have friends with a house there where you can sit in the house and watch the cars go by if you get tired of being outside! We'll probably be down there for the race.
Pete S.- BOYD RACING

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Erindera is a sweet place to watch

[/ QUOTE ]

The best place around Erindera is north at Punta Cabras. Just take the road up along the coast past the hostile and you'll come to a bay "Bahia Almejas" with sandy beaches and superb camping. Great surf fishing by the point and I have heard great diving and of course the surfing is ideal.

This first short movie on the following page was shot aroud that area last year.

http://www.off-road.com/race/2002score/baja500/video.html

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

The uphill shortcut at erendira is also bad-a$$. But only a handful of cars try it. I had some video of it online a while back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Victor, that's at Bahia Almejas where we all camped last year. The http://www.Baja.net people just came back from a 600+ mile quad and MC ride that went through there and they said the whole hillside is fenced off. Bummer!