• Forum membership has its advantages....

Speed Pre-Order

mspina

Anyone place down a deposit for the 4 or 2-seater? Debating between getting an XX and adding some stuff or ordering the 2 seat Speed. Emailed to see about delivery though and they estimated nothing until January 2012 for the 2 seat option.

slvrbullet

It's a big risk to take putting a deposit on a car with a lot of unknowns. It wasn't more than a few months ago they had a job posting out looking for engineers with trans axle and small engine experience. That to me is a huge red flag, they should have had engineers in place before the announcement. The prototype is using an XX chassis with an engine and transaxle that will most likely not be used in production. I also thought they had to hit a certain number of pre-orders before they can go into production.

DGruper

Buy the ‘20 XX, add your goodies, and go have some fun. I have one and it seems the bugs from 18/19 have been worked out.

slvrbullet

Honestly the 18/19 aren't as horrible as the interwebs make it sound. I ran a gen 1 axle on my passenger side for over a 1000 race miles last season before the boot ripped. The transaxles aren't that bad either once you upgrade the bearings/ or change the fluid often, and make sure the input is shimmed right the issues go away. With that said the 2020's are a rocket ship compared to the 18/19 and they have the gen 3 axles stock and the new supposedly better transaxle.

novaman64

With that said the 2020's are a rocket ship compared to the 18/19 and they have the gen 3 axles stock and the new supposedly better transaxle.
Curious about this. A couple people had been implying that the 2020 transaxle had the same part numbers for the high gear but it was a bigger (wider)/stronger gear than the 18/19. I believe Benchmark Performance was ordering one to compare to the 2018, but havent heard any results.

Rocketship? I thought they had the same HP rating as the 19's.

I (knocking on wood) haven't had too many issues with my 19. Just a bad speed sensor on the maiden voyage, then last trip out tore a outter CV boot (must have hit something). Bought a kit from Empi to fix it...

NIKAL

Back to the OP question about the Speed UTV. RG & Todd knew I was ready to buy a XX when the 4 seater was to be released. Then Arctic Cat pulled the plug. So when I saw RG at the Sand Show he was ready for my deposit, and I was very willing to give him one. I had allot of questions which some were answered at the press release, but many were not. Robby was 100% all in this would be the best UTV ever built. Todd too agrees, but is more cautious.

I was hoping to hear they were partnering with a current engine manufacture, same for the trans, clutch & difs. Very much like Arctic Cat did with the XX. But that’s not the case. With that said I don’t see how in the next 10-11 months Speed UTV can design and build the complete Powertrain, test it and put it into production? Plus it takes months, if not a year to get CARB compliant, which will need to happen to be able to register the Speed UTV in California. At best they might get a Red sticker registration. But in this time frame I don’t see how they could get compliant for a Green Sticker.

Also at the press release it was said they might partner with King on the shocks, or build there own. I got the impression Speed wants to build as much as they can with little to no 3rd party vendor support.

Then there’s the distribution and service for the Speed UTV. Parts built in China (no big deal, they are all buying parts from China) then assembly is in Texas, with Robby being the dealer in NC & Anaheim. What if I break a gear in the trans? Where do you take it to get fixed? Will Speed UTV have a parts warehouse to get replacement parts? Do you have to special order the part and the factory in China will build the part? How long could you be down with no parts availability? If the engine & drivetrain were 3rd party, I’d feel more comfortable getting parts or aftermarket support.

These are questions I had with no current answers at the time or even now, unless something changed.

I’d still love to have one and if I do, I know it will be at the higher price, because this UTV will cost much more then the $30K for the first 500 units. So that’s the risk, get in the door at a lower price, but know your being the R&D on an untested machine, with some unknowns going in. Or wait & accept that if this UTV becomes reality it’s going to cost allot more, maybe more then you can afford.

sand shark

My friend has a deposit down with the hopes he might see it by the end of this year. We talked to some of the Speed guys in Glamis over the Thanksgiving weekend. They are impressive in person, but in talking to the people it seemed like there were still a lot of unknowns. Most importantly what engine there were going to use. It sounded like they were going to develop a motor based of the Z1. I would think Suzuki in there current financial situation would sell the design to RG and company. Then they could tweak it and have Hinsun or some other manufacture make if for them.

As stated I do not foresee them getting anything CARB certified before the end of the year.

I think you would be better off just getting a new XX and putting the Speed long travel package on it. It you want more power I would look into one of the big name turbo aftermarket guys and see if they offer a kit. I believe K&T and some others have turbo packages for the XX.

By the time RG and company get whatever they have to market Can Am and Polaris will have something new and I sure the others will have something. There is no sense in waiting for something when you can be out having fun now.

Nessy

Curious about this. A couple people had been implying that the 2020 transaxle had the same part numbers for the high gear but it was a bigger (wider)/stronger gear than the 18/19. I believe Benchmark Performance was ordering one to compare to the 2018, but havent heard any results.

I (knocking on wood) haven't had too many issues with my 19. Just a bad speed sensor on the maiden voyage, then last trip out tore a outter CV boot (must have hit something). Bought a kit from Empi to fix it...
I was checking a little while back and the high gear wasn't available for purchase anywhere I looked.

slvrbullet

The one I drove was seemed a lot faster than mine and the acceleration was a lot better. From what I was told they have an updated valve train and different springs in the clutch.

The transaxle in the 2020 is a complete new case, it's narrower, and apparently the high gear and pinion are bigger. I'm not sure if it can be swapped over to the old cases.

Nikal, I think you are on point. I just DM'ed Speed this morning, they said I can still place a deposit on the first batch "we had an allocation increase" was their response. I suppose this means the initial 250 is now 500 maybe?

On paper, this will be amazing at $32K, but I thought people who put down deposits at the Sand Show were blind RG fans to do so, given the unknowns. "Speed Parker" had no more info on the motor and shocks when I chatted with him 1 month ago at the AZ Offroad Expo.

A big part of me feels like I'm missing out, and I think ultimately RG will make things right if this first batch makes it in 2020, and has issues.

Speed also told me (this morning) it would arrive November/ December if I put a deposit down today.

I worked for Polaris and the amount of CARB compliance and red tape seems like it will prevent this from seeing the light of day for another 12 months at least IMO.

But I still might put down a deposit, haha.

michael.gonzalez

Speed also told me (this morning) it would arrive November/ December if I put a deposit down today.
Call me a pessimist but this does not seem likely to happen.
I have no doubts they are capable of producing a great vehicle with a ton of value.
The issue is the timeline and the deadlines they have committed too.

IMO, they Overpromised and will likely under-deliver because of it.

When will businesses (especially startups) learn to underpromise and overdeliver?
That is how to build a good reputation IMO.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing the Speed UTV's hit the dirt and the continued development!

slvrbullet

I will buy one when a local dealer sells one. I want it to come to fruition but I have to be realistic and go off what I have seen with my own eyes.

Bricoop

The speed machine has some very optimistic (aggressive) goals. Some things that are in their favor compared to a brand new machine. RG owns the suspension patents. They’ve been effectively working on R&D for 5 years. The engine is a concern, but less concerning if they buy a proven design. The transmission/transaxle will be the biggest concern if they want to push 200-300HP through it.

Personally, I’d outsource as much as possible with the first run of machines. Then replace with parts you can reliably manufacture for cheaper over the 2nd and 3rd gen. Todd has some huge production goals. It’d be best to figure out what works and what doesn’t before investing in that kind of tooling.

If you want to be riding in 2020, your best bet is to buy the tracker or XX, with the speed long travel kit and a Turbo from someone like Push which puts you at about the price point of the speed machine.

novaman64

If you want to be riding in 2020, your best bet is to buy the tracker or XX, with the speed long travel kit and a Turbo from someone like Push which puts you at about the price point of the speed machine.
La Rue makes a sick turbo kit, that what I would run if I was going forced induction.

BHollander

I put a deposit down in early November. My thoughts are as follows. My 2016 RZR 1000 XP2 has roughly $50k into it when it is said and done. Between Cognito suspension, RCV axles, Cage, Comms, seats, doors, wheels, tires, and the list goes on. I do not want to do that ever again. I need a 4 seater due to growing family. There were some perks to being in the first round of orders upgrades and crap. The car is $32k and should be ready to rock minus an order from PCI. Now when I was contemplating all of them it was by far the best bang for the buck. I was told Oct 2020 delivery. I am in no huge hurry but would like to use to prerun for the 2020 1000 instead of hauling big prerunner down south. I am not a Robby Gordon fan boy but I will say from what I have seen they will be the best UTV available stock. From what I was told it would have a yamaha motor. I am not worried at all. If it comes in 2020 awesome if it comes in 2021 that will be ok with me as well.

If we all followed the leader there would be no need for innovation. I appreciate what Robby and team are doing with building a better widget so I will take that $1500 gamble and support his kickstarter. If not I am sure I will have all the Speed Energy shirts, and drinks I could ever want lol.

mspina

I put a deposit down in early November. My thoughts are as follows. My 2016 RZR 1000 XP2 has roughly $50k into it when it is said and done. Between Cognito suspension, RCV axles, Cage, Comms, seats, doors, wheels, tires, and the list goes on. I do not want to do that ever again. I need a 4 seater due to growing family. There were some perks to being in the first round of orders upgrades and crap. The car is $32k and should be ready to rock minus an order from PCI. Now when I was contemplating all of them it was by far the best bang for the buck. I was told Oct 2020 delivery. I am in no huge hurry but would like to use to prerun for the 2020 1000 instead of hauling big prerunner down south. I am not a Robby Gordon fan boy but I will say from what I have seen they will be the best UTV available stock. From what I was told it would have a yamaha motor. I am not worried at all. If it comes in 2020 awesome if it comes in 2021 that will be ok with me as well.

If we all followed the leader there would be no need for innovation. I appreciate what Robby and team are doing with building a better widget so I will take that $1500 gamble and support his kickstarter. If not I am sure I will have all the Speed Energy shirts, and drinks I could ever want lol.
Who did you hear from about the Yamaha motor? That's pretty much the only unknown that is holding me back.

novaman64

Most the engine rumors I been hearing revolved around a variant of the old Suzuki/ArcticCat Z1 motor.

Last edited: