Speed Pre-Order

Tube ride

RDC Crypto
9A2182B9-06B4-48C2-A63C-BFF6B71C5E64.jpeg

Advertising supports this site

Total Loss

RDC Crypto
Looks like fun. Dune goons would never survive the Baja if that’s all it takes to catch them out.
You didn't even know what the F it was...yet you still bag...try it...

Baja? I drove to Baja from Glamis before the fence...lol.

How many years for you?

NIKAL

RDC Crypto
Looks like fun. Dune goons would never survive the Baja if that’s all it takes to catch them out.
Talking to Robby Gordon and he has said the toughest thing he’s driven through is the camel grass, which if you don’t know is sand dune with this grassy straw mounds popping up everywhere. Behind them you can also find witch eyes. That was one of the areas the Dakar Humbuggy shined. But Robby said learning how to drive in that without driving into a witch eye and getting stuck or tearing the car apart was difficult.

There is a place in the Parker area where Robby found that’s as close to the camel grass like when racing Dakar. He’s used that area for testing his Dakar vehicles and he’s been testing the Speed UTV in it.

For me I find running the dunes much harder to read. I’ve never been good at it leading as there is this flow you have to get. I find it’s much harder to read at times as the sand is all monotone. Unless the sun creates a shadow you can easily drive into a witch eye or dune just because you can’t really see it. But that’s just me. I’d rather take Baja.

Total Loss

RDC Crypto
I won the Baja 1000
Nice.
Talking to Robby Gordon and he has said the toughest thing he’s driven through is the camel grass, which if you don’t know is sand dune with this grassy straw mounds popping up everywhere. Behind them you can also find witch eyes. That was one of the areas the Dakar Humbuggy shined. But Robby said learning how to drive in that without driving into a witch eye and getting stuck or tearing the car apart was difficult.

There is a place in the Parker area where Robby found that’s as close to the camel grass like when racing Dakar. He’s used that area for testing his Dakar vehicles and he’s been testing the Speed UTV in it.

For me I find running the dunes much harder to read. I’ve never been good at it leading as there is this flow you have to get. I find it’s much harder to read at times as the sand is all monotone. Unless the sun creates a shadow you can easily drive into a witch eye or dune just because you can’t really see it. But that’s just me. I’d rather take Baja.
And choppy...deep choppy.
Sandblind in the dunes is tough...especially on the bike...I have seen a few miss the dune edge and it isn't pretty sometimes.

norutah

RDC Crypto

Yeah, I'm colorblind so dunes and winter sports are very difficult. When I'm in the dunes I see a big brown mound, no contour, no incline, no decent, and no witch eyes. In the snow I see the same thing, only it's a big white mound, can't tell if it's close, far, big, of small.

Zambo

RDC Crypto
I'm a lot more nervous riding in the dunes than down the trail in Baja. Because of things like those witch's eyes, blind drop-offs, etc. Pretty easy to toss it away out there if you aren't a regular, and I'm not a regular.

That said, I know witch's eyes can be hard on things, but really its the dreaded wizard sleeve you need to watch out for.

sand shark

RDC Crypto
I'm a lot more nervous riding in the dunes than down the trail in Baja. Because of things like those witch's eyes, blind drop-offs, etc. Pretty easy to toss it away out there if you aren't a regular, and I'm not a regular.

That said, I know witch's eyes can be hard on things, but really its the dreaded wizard sleeve you need to watch out for.
Wizard sleeves are just evil. LOL!

Many years ago we had a desert racer camping with us in Glamis. He made it about 1/4 of the way through a dune ride and went back to camp. The dunes freaked him out. I looked at him and was trying to figure out how he could blast across a desert course at 90mph in the blinding dust, but could not handle some transitions in the dunes.

sand shark

RDC Crypto

Biggest mistake newer dune people make is trying to ride when the sun causes a "whiteout effect". You can not see transitions at all. We sit in camp and relax during that portion of the day. Shadows are your friend in the dunes.

I prefer the dunes to have some tracks so you can see the transitions better.

10 shot

RDC Crypto
I would rather do 120 in the dust racing than put my life at risk to the idiot's going in every direction without any experience whatsoever mixing dirt bikes, quads,utv,jeeps and sand cars and anything else you can imagine . How many deaths a year happen in glamis? I know the injuries are huge!

sand shark

RDC Crypto
I would rather do 120 in the dust racing than put my life at risk to the idiot's going in every direction without any experience whatsoever mixing dirt bikes, quads,utv,jeeps and sand cars and anything else you can imagine . How many deaths a year happen in glamis? I know the injuries are huge!
Surprisingly not that many and most are single vehicle accidents. I know of two in Glamis this season. One was a dirt bike guy that was jumping and the other was a person not wearing a seatbelt in a UTV that rolled over.

If you stay away from the hangout areas on busy weekends there are a lot less people actually in the dunes. We like to do early morning rides when we know not many are out there.

Total Loss

RDC Crypto
I would rather do 120 in the dust racing than put my life at risk to the idiot's going in every direction without any experience whatsoever mixing dirt bikes, quads,utv,jeeps and sand cars and anything else you can imagine .
Sounds like Mexico...all of the above...then mix in a strand or 2 of barb wire , occasional mean cow, bandidos...

120 in the dust...lol.

Total Loss

RDC Crypto
Wizard sleeves are just evil. LOL!

Many years ago we had a desert racer camping with us in Glamis. He made it about 1/4 of the way through a dune ride and went back to camp. The dunes freaked him out. I looked at him and was trying to figure out how he could blast across a desert course at 90mph in the blinding dust, but could not handle some transitions in the dunes.
Lol...
We took one of our race buds to Glamis for the first time...he brought his old class 3 race Jeep CJ8...4x4...he talked poop all morning how he was gonna smoke us till the first ride...where he got stuck 1/4 mile from camp in a hole...

Classic.