Speed Pre-Order

afortune46

No idea on the correction factor.
I hope they clarify the engine dyno runs tonight on the Livestream.
Hope so , Between nothing on CARB, and only some of the dyno data it doesn't give warm fuzzies - you can minipulate alot of data by playing with correction factors to pump numbers up - If the testing is done with carb the dyno runs should already be done and published (granted its in kw but 1kw is 1.34 mechanical hp) It would suck to come this far to have some tree hugger hold up the release.

Bricoop

Hope so , Between nothing on CARB, and only some of the dyno data it doesn't give warm fuzzies - you can minipulate alot of data by playing with correction factors to pump numbers up - If the testing is done with carb the dyno runs should already be done and published (granted its in kw but 1kw is 1.34 mechanical hp) It would suck to come this far to have some tree hugger hold up the release.
They've mentioned they had to get magnaflow involved and they solved their CARB issue almost immediately. Feels like 6 weeks ago or so.

Do Polaris and Can-Am share their correction factor?

NIKAL

Why would you not have warm fuzzy feelings because of some Dyno #’s stated? It was said they have met all of Carb’s requirements. I’d assume it takes time for final results to get posted and with COVID I could see them delaying it from being posted. Everyone uses COVID as an excuse as to why something is not done.

Awhile back I was told the company Speed hired to help get them through omission testing. It’s the same Company BRP/Can Am uses, so it’s not like Todd or Robby are doing this themselves and figuring it out. This is what this company does. They work for many companies that are needing compliance, from lawn mowers to automobiles.

Todd had said that for Carb they are only testing off of injector # 1 for emissions, but all the power is made off of injector # 2. If this is the case will the Carb hp numbers even match?

In normal passenger vehicles the Carb testing is way more stringent, but the testing for under 1000cc off highway vehicles was less restrictive and why they only measure off of the 1 injector vs both injectors per cylinder.

afortune46

They've mentioned they had to get magnaflow involved and they solved their CARB issue almost immediately. Feels like 6 weeks ago or so.

Do Polaris and Can-Am share their correction factor?
When their numbers are verified and validated by carb publishings vs their claims why would they need to , the fact they did an independant dyno , have the info used , and could publish it but opt out makes you wonder. No production (only race) chassis has been shown yet carb requires a completed production level car for emissions testing at 0 and 6200 miles. After seeing the delays in the XX from 2017 on my two family members that have 4500 cash in Speeds hands are getting nervous that everything shown is XX's that have lipstick on them vs a production car - if your trying to finalize patents then cover those parts with a rag or whatever but show folks the cars are built vs showing more renderings and random engine parts being machined or whatever. To fit the timeline it seems they are way behind. I hope thats not the case but it doesn't appear to be the situation.

Why would you not have warm fuzzy feelings because of some Dyno #’s stated? It was said they have met all of Carb’s requirements. I’d assume it takes time for final results to get posted and with COVID I could see them delaying it from being posted. Everyone uses COVID as an excuse as to why something is not done.

Awhile back I was told the company Speed hired to help get them through omission testing. It’s the same Company BRP/Can Am uses, so it’s not like Todd or Robby are doing this themselves and figuring it out. This is what this company does. They work for many companies that are needing compliance, from lawn mowers to automobiles.

Todd had said that for Carb they are only testing off of injector # 1 for emissions, but all the power is made off of injector # 2. If this is the case will the Carb hp numbers even match?

In normal passenger vehicles the Carb testing is way more stringent, but the testing for under 1000cc off highway vehicles was less restrictive and why they only measure off of the 1 injector vs both injectors per cylinder.
Carb will test the emissions point at the exhaust , the kw hp rating is tested at the crank. Carb has updated the 2021's that have been submitted last at 8-31 and other models on road in september - On-Road New Vehicle & Engine Certification Program if its already passed it would be published.

Im not trying to throw shade but when tough questions dont get answered vs what size a cup holder is the easier ones get attention. knowing what AC/textron whatever you wanna call them went through to get the xx into production due to testing issues , and knowing what folks went through with the exotic 100k speedcats it makes you wonder.

joshmx88

So this speed engine is being designed and built in house by speed correct? Is it loosely based on the z1 or anything else?

NIKAL

So this speed engine is being designed and built in house by speed correct? Is it loosely based on the z1 or anything else?
You could say in house as it’s a Speed UTV purpose built engine. I think the Z1 was inspiration, but I’m told it’s nothing like a Z1. Robby has hired very experienced people to design this engine. Two big players in the design and development of the engine is Joey Arrington & Don Losito. One other person who I don’t know, I think is from the Indy car world has been apart of it. And then you have the guys at Push Turbo developing the turbo, and James Lin doing the wiring harness and computer programming. Both Arrington and Losito come from the NASCAR engine world. Arrington is credited as being apart of the team that designed & developed the Dodge NASCAR engine when they returned to NASCAR’s Truck & Cup series.

This engine was designed in North Carolina not China. Watch Robby’s latest Instagram videos as he walks around Arrington Racing Engines shop. It’s like you would think a NASCAR or Indy car engine shop would look like.

The production turbo manifold was inspired by the manifold on the Cosworth Indy car engine. Even the material being used is very high tech. Look up Inconel if you want to see how high tech the material used on the turbo manifold is. You will never see Polaris or Can Am using Inconel.

Bricoop

When their numbers are verified and validated by carb publishings vs their claims why would they need to , the fact they did an independant dyno , have the info used , and could publish it but opt out makes you wonder. No production (only race) chassis has been shown yet carb requires a completed production level car for emissions testing at 0 and 6200 miles. After seeing the delays in the XX from 2017 on my two family members that have 4500 cash in Speeds hands are getting nervous that everything shown is XX's that have lipstick on them vs a production car - if your trying to finalize patents then cover those parts with a rag or whatever but show folks the cars are built vs showing more renderings and random engine parts being machined or whatever. To fit the timeline it seems they are way behind. I hope thats not the case but it doesn't appear to be the situation.

Carb will test the emissions point at the exhaust , the kw hp rating is tested at the crank. Carb has updated the 2021's that have been submitted last at 8-31 and other models on road in september - On-Road New Vehicle & Engine Certification Program if its already passed it would be published.

Im not trying to throw shade but when tough questions dont get answered vs what size a cup holder is the easier ones get attention. knowing what AC/textron whatever you wanna call them went through to get the xx into production due to testing issues , and knowing what folks went through with the exotic 100k speedcats it makes you wonder.
It literally is going on the dyno for the first time and you’re upset they used the shop across the street?

Why mention the on-road changes? Is that the certification they are going for?

Worse comes to worse and James can call the guys at VW for some tips ;)

43mod

Wouldnt nov first be a cool delivery date. I will not bitch if its jan first. They have a ton to do. I would rather it be right. 218 or 219 is mine. I think they want paid 30 days before delivery. It would be nice to keep that ratio intact.

afortune46

It literally is going on the dyno for the first time and you’re upset they used the shop across the street?

Why mention the on-road changes? Is that the certification they are going for?

Worse comes to worse and James can call the guys at VW for some tips ;)
Onroad changes meaning they are publishing and updating the site - the remark towards me that was made was "It was said they have met all of Carb’s requirements. I’d assume it takes time for final results to get posted and with COVID I could see them delaying it from being posted" if they have met carbs requirements it would be published I'd think ? And It would have had to be on a dyno for more than the first time if they met carbs requirements - so which is it, the first time its been on the dyno or was there a false statement made that they met carbs requirements?

like I said I have two family members that shelled out the money for RG editions , I'm not upset in the slightest that they used a local dyno shop for testing of the engine - imo its the smarter thing to do but stories aren't aligning much like it did when they were working with AC , and with the guys that spent 100k on the speedcats.

The horror stories I heard and saw with my own two eyes on the speedcats does not reflect what is being said on the internet about the awesome quality that the entire car will have. Who they chose to use for the turbo alone (push turbo) should be a red flag to anyone waiting on a car.

McCredie A

Will anyone be out at the race this weekend? If so please post up some pics of the car and your thoughts on it in real life!

Robin Hood

If your family members didn't have $4500 to lose than the shouldn't have put it down. In other words...it's not relevant!

afortune46

If your family members didn't have $4500 to lose than the shouldn't have put it down. In other words...it's not relevant!
So I'm assuming you paid in full rather then the downpayment on something you've seen once at utv world (which was a pre production and they didnt even race like they said they were going to previously). Easy there big money on the internet.

If 4500 is nothing to you I'll glady take your non refundable downpayment on this car .. its being designed with nascar and indycar racers/engineers too I just can't tell you their names because its a secret but oh man its 1000+ horsepower and industry leading, and I'd tell you and show you more about it but all my patients are pending so you'll just have to take my word for it.

1602683084056.png

Robin Hood

So I'm assuming you paid in full rather then the downpayment on something you've seen once at utv world (which was a pre production and they didnt even race like they said they were going to previously). Easy there big money on the internet.

If 4500 is nothing to you I'll glady take your non refundable downpayment on this car .. its being designed with nascar and indycar racers/engineers too I just can't tell you their names because its a secret but oh man its 1000+ horsepower and industry leading, and I'd tell you and show you more about it but all my patients are pending so you'll just have to take my word for it.
You are grasping at straws to try to make a point that isn't yet relevant.

The point is...if you or they are concerned about the money, then stay out of the game and wait tell all the cards are on the table. Again, your family members deciding to put down a deposit isn't relevant to any of this. I personally, took the least amount of risk for what I felt is the biggest potential reward, $1,500 down. Why would I put another $3,000 at risk for very little extra reward?

Last edited: