Speed Pre-Order

norutah

RDC Crypto
Honest question here. In the past we saw a lot of videos of the hand built units ripping the desert. Have they posted anything showing the same use/abuse of the pre-production cars? Just curious how they're holding up. I'm the early videos they were talking about 1000s of miles of use and all I can see on the pre-production United, specifically the motors, is that they were pulled at 5 hours for evaluation

Advertising supports this site

sand shark

RDC Crypto
Honest question here. In the past we saw a lot of videos of the hand built units ripping the desert. Have they posted anything showing the same use/abuse of the pre-production cars? Just curious how they're holding up. I'm the early videos they were talking about 1000s of miles of use and all I can see on the pre-production United, specifically the motors, is that they were pulled at 5 hours for evaluation

Everything they have been testing out in Parker and other places are going on the production cars. They rolled 6 cars off the production line a few weeks back. Maybe they will use one of them to do more testing.

There is a Speed UTV show on Saturday.

pyrocoyote1

RDC Crypto
The one they brought to coyne in el centro had 2000 miles one it without a rebuilding
the car they brought by coyne powdersports had over 2000 miles on it with no rebuild. Todd told me that after 2000 miles they put the car on the dyno without changing and air filter or anything to see how much power loss it had and they found out it lost only half a horse power.

norutah

RDC Crypto
The one they brought to coyne in el centro had 2000 miles one it without a rebuilding

the car they brought by coyne powdersports had over 2000 miles on it with no rebuild. Todd told me that after 2000 miles they put the car on the dyno without changing and air filter or anything to see how much power loss it had and they found out it lost only half a horse power.
2000 miles, so far, on a production motor sounds promising. Do you know which other parts were same as the production cars? Did it have the cast bulkhead? I think I remember hearing something about changing bronze shock piston heads to aluminum or something. And they were trying to come up with a wear band that would hold up but not near up the cylinder bore.

pyrocoyote1

RDC Crypto
2000 miles, so far, on a production motor sounds promising. Do you know which other parts were same as the production cars? Did it have the cast bulkhead? I think I remember hearing something about changing bronze shock piston heads to aluminum or something. And they were trying to come up with a wear band that would hold up but not near up the cylinder bore.
From what I could see it was all production parts . Motor , bulkhead, roof , seats , interior, everything but as they have said the doors fit and finish and were not correct the preproduction car doesn’t have all the improvements the full production car does. I feel it looked very promising it looked to be in great condition for over 2000 miles. the worst welds on it looked like average welds on a can am. Or polaris.

norutah

RDC Crypto
From what I could see it was all production parts . Motor , bulkhead, roof , seats , interior, everything but as they have said the doors fit and finish and were not correct the preproduction car doesn’t have all the improvements the full production car does. I feel it looked very promising it looked to be in great condition for over 2000 miles. the worst welds on it looked like average welds on a can am. Or polaris.
That's great. It's nice to hear from people that have seen it in person. The hand built cars are cool but I need to know how a production unit holds up to abuse. Thanks

NIKAL

RDC Crypto
I can confirm what Pyrocyote said. The preproduction cars were using all full production parts. As they found issues they would make a change. Like the steering rack which they found was flexing and causing the feed back. I posted a picture a page or two back with a welded plate and a final production part to fix the issue. The preproduction cars had 300 things identified as needing fixed. Some we’re simple and some like the rack more complex. But I was told all 300 were corrected, and as a few more popped up during testing those too are being corrected. Like Robby thought they had a main seal leak. It ended up being a oil gallery plug had vibrated loose and leaking. That too has been resolved so it can’t back out

I also believe the orange & black car being sent around and shown has closer to 3000 miles on it, but well over 2000 as it sat on display.

After talking to Todd one day and mentioning some of the other cars that were built. He said one had been at EPA, one has been on a chassis dyno and running the drivetrain 5 days a week for months now. The black & gold car is logging miles driving around the Charlotte area as it and the orange & black car are NC plated.

I was also told the production wiring harness is being manufactured by Delphi and will use Delphi automotive connectors throughout the harness.

pyrocoyote1

RDC Crypto

If you don’t have 30 minutes here’s a summary.
The first look at the Baja bandit! Looks really nice. Robby said the el jefe went 102mph on pump gas and expects the bandit to hit 118. The car with out bed skid plates and exterior panels weighs 2176lbs and expects to weight 2300-2500 lbs when fully assembled. I can feel the weight debate brewing.
There was a delay on production because engine casting had some porosity in the block due to the sand desolving too early . They put a vacuum type machine in the Assembly line to prevent That from happening and are working on a X ray machine for quality control.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com
118 vs 102 ? Why ?

We were just talking about how much faster the Pro R is off the showroom floor than anything else. Do these recreation newbies need that much speed?

While at the dealer there were at least 10 crashed UTV’s in the back. Many looked to have caused serious injuries. The service guy said all these guys jump in them and think they are Robby Gordon. Apparently they are not.

But I know being worried about safety is frowned upon around.here. So let them get what they deserve. LOL

Heck make them go 150mph. I mean Bryce can do it, why not anyone with a good credit score.

Mike

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com
Can’t joke around here either. LOL

Take it easy, and chill.

Mike

NIKAL

RDC Crypto
We were just talking about how much faster the Pro R is off the showroom floor than anything else. Do these recreation newbies need that much speed?

While at the dealer there were at least 10 crashed UTV’s in the back. Many looked to have caused serious injuries. The service guy said all these guys jump in them and think they are Robby Gordon. Apparently they are not.

But I know being worried about safety is frowned upon around.here. So let them get what they deserve. LOL

Heck make them go 150mph. I mean Bryce can do it, why not anyone with a good credit score.

Mike
Actually Robby’s #1 thing has been building the safest UTV he can. He’s building a proper chassis with triangulation & gusseted, using DOM & chomoly tube with proper wall thickness. All the tube clamps are solid vs cast and they are keyed. The steering shaft is collapsible so it can’t push into your chest in an accident. That happen to Max years ago in a XX, and Robby said never again. All cars come with a ridged containment seats, and 5 point cam lock seat belts. All cars come with full doors to keep you inside in an accident. All cars will come standard with wrist tethers, and the RG trim comes with proper opening window nets, which can also be bought for any trim. And the cars will be governed to 86 mph, but it sounds like if you have a Speed key that can be overrode? The speed numbers of 102 is what Robby did in the 4 seater on pump gas with the speed limiter turned off. The 118 is a guesstimate Robby thinks the 2 seat Bandit can do in the same situation.

Last edited:

Total Loss

RDC Crypto
Not because they were too fast. More so because they were too unstable when turning.
So lean...
UTVs are unstable when doing donuts.

My buddy just sold his old 250R for $4500...WAAAAAY more than he had into it.

Someone still wants them.
And mine was pretty freakin fast depending on gearing.

sand shark

RDC Crypto

Mike

The manufactures put speed limiters on them. I believe Robby said the Speed UTV would be set in the low 80s. Can Am X3 hits the speed limiter at 89mph. I believe the Pro R is set in the mid to up 80s.

I have had my Can Am X3 up to 94 mph across a dry lake bed. It is scary fast in a UTV. I could not imagine going 100mph in a UTV.

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
So lean...
UTVs are unstable when doing donuts.

My buddy just sold his old 250R for $4500...WAAAAAY more than he had into it.

Someone still wants them.
And mine was pretty freakin fast depending on gearing.
Oh people still want them! 3wheelers are rad, but they did get banned from new ones being manufactured or something like that.