Speed Pre-Order

McCredie A

Reaction
Is that for the fuel cell? I thought I heard on one of the episodes you could buy a second fuel tank. It would be located under the seat of the opposing side that has the original fuel tank.

norutah

Reaction
Is that for the fuel cell? I thought I heard on one of the episodes you could buy a second fuel tank. It would be located under the seat of the opposing side that has the original fuel tank.
Oh yeah, I remember hearing that too. $4k was the fuel cell

43mod

Reaction
Amazing how poor communication is w an hour show a week. The entire racing industry would never make it in the oilfield.

NIKAL

Reaction
Did anyone opt for the dual fuel tank? Seems like a cool option!
I plan on getting it and have been one of the first if not the first to committing to buying it. I spoke to Robby at the 2019 Sand Show about a duel or Aux fuel tank. I was told it would not be available until after the first of the year and could not be purchased with the vehicle due to emissions. It will be an accessory you can order and instal yourself. Being that I’m not expected to get my car until the end of Feb or early March. I should be able to order it, if available and pick it up with my car. But it would be boxed separate and paid for on a separate invoice.

NIKAL

Reaction
Amazing how poor communication is w an hour show a week. The entire racing industry would never make it in the oilfield.
What communication is poor? Many answers can be found on the site, during the shows, or they call in segment of the show. Todd Romano answers Facebook questions, or you can email Todd, Speed or call RGM.

I just got a call today from Karla Romano in regards to my order. When I called her back she answered on the first ring.

Unfortunately many people even me want more answers to things they are not able or ready to share. Because they have been so open to share, some get frustrated when there is something they won’t answer.

43mod

Reaction
In the real world the vendor updates you on the status of an order. When late they reach out to you min of an email. Not in the racing world where late is normal and never is common.
just an observation. I am waiting like the rest and would rather have a good unit well cooked.

Bricoop

Reaction
In the real world the vendor updates you on the status of an order. When late they reach out to you min of an email. Not in the racing world where late is normal and never is common.
just an observation. I am waiting like the rest and would rather have a good unit well cooked.
RG has been known to overpromise, underdeliver. But the access to this build is unparralleled. With 41K drawings, I imagine there's a pretty intense vendor tracking program.

Does anyone know who is casting the engines and trans? When is that expected to happen? If a supplier misses the deadline that can F* everythign up. Now you've got 1600 wheels and tires, 400 engines, 400 transmissions, miles of tubing in warehouses waiting.

With the pre-sale numbers and vehicle performance, it only makes sense to do it right. It's not worth risking hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars on warranty recalls to rush a product. We've all seen businesses struggle and even fail because they started running before they learned how to walk.

The goal is lofty, I wish them well.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
What will we take delivery of first, Speed UTV or new 4-dr Bronco?
The (delivery) race is on!

Sold the canam and the 71 bronco, ready for some new toys now.

the_owl

Reaction
My initial delivery date was November and is now February. I do not expect to see my car before end of March. I am fine waiting for them to perfect it. Luckily my x3 hasn't sold yet or I might feel differently
My number is 211 for Jefe. Ive done the consult and picked my accessories. Id be surprised If I have a car this year. Im fine with waiting a bit longer. Ive been Polaris' R&D test team three times now. Buying the first year car.

norutah

Reaction
My number is 211 for Jefe. Ive done the consult and picked my accessories. Id be surprised If I have a car this year. Im fine with waiting a bit longer. Ive been Polaris' R&D test team three times now. Buying the first year car.
I hear ya, very few stock parts on my x3 but I don't think I did their r&d because I don't think they've changed any of the week parts design

sand shark

Reaction
RG has been known to overpromise, underdeliver. But the access to this build is unparralleled. With 41K drawings, I imagine there's a pretty intense vendor tracking program.

Does anyone know who is casting the engines and trans? When is that expected to happen? If a supplier misses the deadline that can F* everythign up. Now you've got 1600 wheels and tires, 400 engines, 400 transmissions, miles of tubing in warehouses waiting.

With the pre-sale numbers and vehicle performance, it only makes sense to do it right. It's not worth risking hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars on warranty recalls to rush a product. We've all seen businesses struggle and even fail because they started running before they learned how to walk.

The goal is lofty, I wish them well.

Don't they have to get the motor CARB certified still? I know they were still in the process of doing that a few weeks ago.

sand shark

Reaction
I hear ya, very few stock parts on my x3 but I don't think I did their r&d because I don't think they've changed any of the week parts design

Can Am made some refinements in some of the frame areas for 2019 and 2020, but nothing major. Lower a-arms and front bulk head area are still the same.

norutah

Reaction
Can Am made some refinements in some of the frame areas for 2019 and 2020, but nothing major. Lower a-arms and front bulk head area are still the same.
That is promising they made some refinements in the frame area. Any idea if they changed the frame material and we'll thickness?

sand shark

Reaction
That is promising they made some refinements in the frame area. Any idea if they changed the frame material and we'll thickness?

They increased the thickness in a few areas and they added a cross tube under the seats. The material they will not change. That dual phase stuff they use is actually pretty strong. My friend and I killed several sawzall blades cutting my cage off to put the aftermarket cage on. I have also broken a few drill bits trying to drill some holes.

Still need a gusset kit and shock tower brace. I have over 6200 miles on my X3 and so far the frame is holding up.

NIKAL

Reaction
Don't they have to get the motor CARB certified still? I know they were still in the process of doing that a few weeks ago.

My understanding is Speed UTV has passed all CARB requirements, except they still have to do the final test which must be done using a fully assembled pre-production car for the final emissions test.

It was originally stated several pre-production cars were to come off the assembly line in Mid Nov, but I’d expect that might not happen until early Dec? One car would go to Carb and several other cars would be used for final testing and assembly line QC.

norutah

Reaction
They increased the thickness in a few areas and they added a cross tube under the seats. The material they will not change. That dual phase stuff they use is actually pretty strong. My friend and I killed several sawzall blades cutting my cage off to put the aftermarket cage on. I have also broken a few drill bits trying to drill some holes.

Still need a gusset kit and shock tower brace. I have over 6200 miles on my X3 and so far the frame is holding up.
Nice to see the design evolving, I wonder if they will ever place the suspension pivot points in double sheer? That seems like such and easy design change but I can imagine it would be an assembly nightmare due to the +/- tolerances in frame geometry.

sand shark

Reaction
My understanding is Speed UTV has passed all CARB requirements, except they still have to do the final test which must be done using a fully assembled pre-production car for the final emissions test.

It was originally stated several pre-production cars were to come off the assembly line in Mid Nov, but I’d expect that might not happen until early Dec? One car would go to Carb and several other cars would be used for final testing and assembly line QC.

Good to hear the motor passed the first test. If they need a production car I do not see that happening until end of December or early January. I would be impressed if the first cars are delivered to customers by March.

sand shark

Reaction
Nice to see the design evolving, I wonder if they will ever place the suspension pivot points in double sheer? That seems like such and easy design change but I can imagine it would be an assembly nightmare due to the +/- tolerances in frame geometry.

I doubt they will make the changes. The aftermarket takes care of it for a fraction of what it would cost Can Am to re-tool and have it done at the assembly line. A gusset kit and shock tower brace could be done for under $600.00.

NIKAL

Reaction
Good to hear the motor passed the first test. If they need a production car I do not see that happening until end of December or early January. I would be impressed if the first cars are delivered to customers by March.

It’s a pre-production car. The factory’s tools up and they build a limited amount for testing, QC and marketing. In Speeds case I heard they would probably build 8-10 cars on the assembly line to make sure the lines and workers run correctly, but then those cars are what’s used for CARB, assembly & QC & testing actual complete cars. “IF” Speed and it’s suppliers are ready they could produce those cars in Dec, and possibly start producing consumer cars after the first of the year? But you also have to factor in the upcoming holiday schedules & shut downs, shipment transit delays etc.

I was told the factory has committed two dedicated production lines that can run simultaneously. So once running at full production the goal of 40 cars a day is easily achievable and could potentially ramp up to 80 cars a day if the need was there. I don’t see that need yet!

Also because of how this car was designed, switching models on the line is much easier as all 3 models share all the same components, Its just the main chassis, the center wiring harness and body panels that are the greatest difference. Another big plus is how right to left the suspension components are the same, so that eliminates having separate bins or racks for components and also speeds up production of those components.

My guess is we will hear about consumer production starting in early to mid Jan and first delivery’s the end of Jan or first of Feb. If CARB testing is complete and the pre-production cars look good, maybe they start a slow run before the holidays, so when they return they can go full speed after the first of the year? All just me guessing?? I’ll get it when I get it!

Heck I was waiting 2 years for the XX 4 seat to get released and that did not happen. So this is pretty easy, what’s a few more months! Would rather have it right then get it and have to let it sit waiting for a fix. You know the Polaris way of doing things!

Bricoop

Reaction
Isn't there something in the law about number of units produced? I seem to recall something about that from the '19 SSSS and why they were limiting run numbers?

They've added a runner "step" to help get in the car. It has a tube behind it.

The creativity/simplicity of making the parts universal rather than leftside/rightside specific is ingenius. It's so obvious in hind-sight. Are all the CVs the same length?