Speed Pre-Order

norutah

Reaction
I hit a giant rock at speed the first day of the 2019 Mexican 500 . After the race which we finished 28th overall we noticed a small bend. When I talked to Robby he asked if I hit something. I said yes big rock my fault. He said thanks for being honest and offered to have it repaired. I just bought a new one and carry the slightly bent one in my spares. I would put it on to race if I had to.
Thank you for the first hand experience!!

slvrbullet

Reaction
Do you have details on the arms that are folding? I want to get a better idea regarding how concerned we should be. What we know about the OEM arms: Boxed 4130 lower arms and 4130 tube uppers. MIG robot welded.
I do have details, attached are the pictures. These arms where bought directly from Speed. This was the first time they got used at a 250 mile race on a virgin course with about 3 rocks on the entire course and you would have had to try to hit them, it was mostly high speed single track with deep sand ruts and silt beds. It's clear theres a lack of bracing between the bend and the shock mount. it doesn't take an engineer to see that. To replace it was almost $1000, no offer to repair it.

Attachments

• issue1.jpg
    issue1.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 233
  • issue2.jpg
    issue2.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 233
  • issue3.jpg
    issue3.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 231

norutah

Reaction
I do have details, attached are the pictures. These arms where bought directly from Speed. This was the first time they got used at a 250 mile race on a virgin course with about 3 rocks on the entire course and you would have had to try to hit them, it was mostly high speed single track with deep sand ruts and silt beds. It's clear theres a lack of bracing between the bend and the shock mount. it doesn't take an engineer to see that. To replace it was almost $1000, no offer to repair it.
Jesus, now I'm concerned. The suspension and chassis is literally the only reason I'm buying the speed. I figured worst case scenario if the motor was a turd I would z1 swap it

Fourstroker

Reaction
The way that is bent looks like the arm bent past the shock mount. Like a bottoming out, too much shock for the arm issue. Usually you see them bent up in the middle from a rock, etc.

slvrbullet

Reaction
The way that is bent looks like the arm bent past the shock mount. Like a bottoming out, too much shock for the arm issue. Usually you see them bent up in the middle from a rock, etc.
Shocks were valved and extended per speeds/shock therapy specs. The front of these cars are not heavy they should be able to handle being bottomed out and not bend an arm. I have 1500 race miles on my stock suspension XX and have only bent an arm once and that was when we hit a massive boulder under the surface in a silt bed and that hit literally stopped the car dead in its track and broke 2 grade 8 bolts holding on the roof and cracked a few factory stitch welds on the upper bulkhead.

Bricoop

Reaction
Several video presentations ago Todd said they had all the financing in place. The profit margins on the Speed car are shrinking by the day as the cost of materials keep going up. Covid shortages might have them producing the cars at break even or a loss for the cars with the guaranteed price.
Hopefully they bought a few steel futures....

Fourstroker

Reaction
Copy. Was just commenting that it didn’t bend like most UTV arms do. The others usually bend up in the middle at spot of impact. I guess if you hit the rock that close to the tire that was the impact spot.

Total Loss

Reaction
Steering rack boot adapters not concentric w rack slide . Essentially the adapters were being the steering stops . I bought two units months apart . They were unaware of the issue you could see plain as day . They sent new units after some re design and cnc time . Anyone seem a tech bulletin or email on this that has purchased these parts ?
on a good note the speed axles have lasted 550 miles so far . Thats 350 miles further than any stock xx axle .
Next sad note Speed shipping costs are crazy high . I mean like $100 to ship a computer box ! Thats a profit margin
Axles are good from what I have seen also...

slvrbullet

Reaction
The RG axles are well proven, the only complaint I've heard from racers is that the grease that comes in them stock is like vaseline. AC/Textron has taken care of me with the latest Gen3 axles that have held up really well. Once I go through my stock pile of OEM axles I will be upgrading to the Speed Axles.

Total Loss

Reaction
The RG axles are well proven, the only complaint I've heard from racers is that the grease that comes in them stock is like vaseline. AC/Textron has taken care of me with the latest Gen3 axles that have held up really well. Once I go through my stock pile of OEM axles I will be upgrading to the Speed Axles.
My brother broke a slip yoke AC axle...snapped at the yoke. Not racing either...but he is pretty hard on equipment.
Mine have held up well.
If you read my posts on these axles on the Wildcat blog, I was questioning why they didn't do a slip yoke axle from the beginning. They are vulnerable with rock strikes but for the average Joe, they should hold up well...

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
I saw it in person at the Sand Sports Super Swap.
All I have to say is: It will be worth the wait.

Also, did anyone see that Robby is currently in JV testing the El Jefe?
And get this.... he is taking it up Chocolate Thunder!!

sand shark

Reaction
I saw it in person at the Sand Sports Super Swap.
All I have to say is: It will be worth the wait.

Also, did anyone see that Robby is currently in JV testing the El Jefe?
And get this.... he is taking it up Chocolate Thunder!!

I saw pictures and a short video of it going through a few rocks. No full video of it going up Chocolate Thunder. It was also missing the bed and side plastics (probably so they could get access to the clutch easier for tuning).

The full videos should be good.

NIKAL

Reaction
That spring setup is not ideal for crawling but it looks fairly capable as-is, especially for worn-out 32's!
Rock crawling the 4 seater is not ideal either. Both 2 seaters would be a better choice for this application, but understand the test mule is the 4 seater right now. I think the El Diablo is being used as a dyno car right now? Could be wrong, but that’s the impression I got awhile back. Plus the ficus is on clutching and the 4 seater with its extra weight is a better test vehicle for that. And the first 1,000 units being built are 4 seaters, 500 are 2 seaters are going to be built.

Last edited:

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
Used to be Southern California, Good Riddance!
I was looking through the Speed website and they list either a 30" or 33" tire. I want the 33" tire but don't see the ability to choose the size when using the "build yours now" section. Could someone explain how you make that selection.

Thanks,

NIKAL

Reaction
I was looking through the Speed website and they list either a 30" or 33" tire. I want the 33" tire but don't see the ability to choose the size when using the "build yours now" section. Could someone explain how you make that selection.

Thanks,
The website is very outdated and in need of refreshing. All Speed UTV models come on the Speed Brand 32 inch tire. There are no tire options except you can add sand tires and wheels as an accessory. Base, LE & RG model all come with the same 32 inch tire. You can chose your 15 inch wheels. 14 spoke or OG RG wheel, both in black or machine finish.