Speed Pre-Order

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I have machined plenty of inconel, if they were "blowing up cutters", he needs to hire a machinist that knows what he's doing. It does go through cutters faster than say 304, but not that much more. It might also be a good candidate for ceramic cutters if they have a rigid enough machine (non linear way). If they really want to waste some cutters, cast Hastaloy would do that.

NIKAL

Reaction
Speed UTV stock might have just gone up!

Can Am’s Mexico Factory where they build the X3 and other UTV’s burnt to the ground.

4BE7325E-3F43-4D4D-9849-AF2C2F420653.jpeg
F017C7D6-63A5-4001-9B81-276AFCF573D7.jpeg
AB1120DF-F55A-4062-A3D6-24FCA4ABD86B.jpeg

So who gets to market first? Can Am or Speed?

norutah

Reaction

NIKAL

Reaction
I have heard inventory only and not the factory
Read they have two facilities in Mexico, so very possible this was where the finished vehicles went to be created and held to be shipped out. It was said people heard an explosion and then saw the huge fire.

Robin Hood

Reaction
I do not know which is better. My complaint is that speed talked that inconel manifold up for months like it was the best thing since sliced bread. Going on about how exotic it is and how you would find this technology in F1. They really hyped it up and then pulled it away with little mention. I'm neither here nor there on the schedule; I could be upset but I'm more concerned that it's executed properly. I can wait. Just quit pulling parts, materials, and technology that people paid for.

What people paid for is Robby's vision and what he determines the final product will be and nothing more than that. The problem is they are preaching transparency, when in reality they are just infomercials to push sales and name recognition. They really haven't been transparent about anything that wasn't to pump sales.

The biggest red flag should have been when they said there was initially only going to be 250 four seaters and 250 two seaters. They blew right through that and in hind sight I think that was always the plan. The early deposit holders in these two groups are the ones that really have been taken advantage of.

norutah

Reaction
What people paid for is Robby's vision and what he determines the final product will be and nothing more than that. The problem is they are preaching transparency, when in reality they are just infomercials to push sales and name recognition. They really haven't been transparent about anything that wasn't to pump sales.

The biggest red flag should have been when they said there was initially only going to be 250 four seaters and 250 two seaters. They blew right through that and in hind sight I think that was always the plan. The early deposit holders in these two groups are the ones that really have been taken advantage of.
I agree with most of what you said but if Robby gets on Instagram this week and announces the seats will be made of fiberglass instead of carbon or that the rotating assembly will no longer be forged I would argue people paid for carbon and forged internals and not Robby's vision.

sand shark

Reaction
I do not know which is better. My complaint is that speed talked that inconel manifold up for months like it was the best thing since sliced bread. Going on about how exotic it is and how you would find this technology in F1. They really hyped it up and then pulled it away with little mention. I'm neither here nor there on the schedule; I could be upset but I'm more concerned that it's executed properly. I can wait. Just quit pulling parts, materials, and technology that people paid for.

Those cars with the locked in prices are costing them profit. So why not remove an expensive piece to save some cost and hopefully break even on those cars.

sand shark

Reaction

They paid for his vision, but his mouth said they were going to get certain things with his vision. Informericial is exactly what is going on with these shows. Just need the hot model and the Oxyclean dude to ride from the dead. LOL!!

Robin Hood

Reaction
I agree with most of what you said but if Robby gets on Instagram this week and announces the seats will be made of fiberglass instead of carbon or that the rotating assembly will no longer be forged I would argue people paid for carbon and forged internals and not Robby's vision.

There are a few things knew when we signed up. Deposits were "non-refundable", specifications were "subject to change" and the early deposits holders (first 250 4-seaters and first 250 2seaters) where suppose to get $5,000 in free upgrades. This didn't really play out that way. BTW... the carbon seats were part of the calculated $5,000. What they did instead was make the LE $5,000 more then the base model and justified that was the $5K in upgrades. Then they allowed everyone out to March of 2020 to get that deal, not just the early deposits holders.

norutah

Reaction
There are a few things knew when we signed up. Deposits were "non-refundable", specifications were "subject to change" and the early deposits holders (first 250 4-seaters and first 250 2seaters) where suppose to get $5,000 in free upgrades. This didn't really play out that way. BTW... the carbon seats were part of the calculated $5,000. What they did instead was make the LE $5,000 more then the base model and justified that was the $5K in upgrades. Then they allowed everyone out to March of 2020 to get that deal, not just the early deposits holders.
I understand all of that and I'm fine with it. I'll provide the exact moment I put down a deposit. When I saw the purpose engineered suspension hardware with shouldered bolts extending into the nut. I knew that this was going to be a great UTV and I sent them $4k. Those bolts are expensive and if they pulled them, it would take value that I was expecting. Even knowing that specifications were subject to change I would still be bummed.

Last edited:

Robin Hood

Reaction
I understand all of that and I'm five with. I'll provide the exact moment I put down a deposit. When I saw the purpose engineered suspension hardware with shouldered bolts everything into the nut. I knew that this was going to be a great UTV and I sent them $4k. Those bolts are expensive and if they pulled them, it would take value that I was expecting. Even knowing that specifications were subject to change I would still be bummed.
There is no doubt that they are walking a fine line. I agree if they pulled some stuff, ethically it would be wrong and down right mis-leading. I personally think they need to include the belt temp sensor, but I don't think they are obligated too.

I put down a deposit in November of 2019 and to be fair, Todd basically said if you aren't comfortable with the process, then wait to put down a deposit. There was no guarantees and I knew I was putting $1500 at risk at the time. I currently have a lot more at risk today and other then being mislead (possibly lied to) about needing to close out cars, some of it was my choice with additional deposits being secured. We're all big boys and we made the choice to get and/or stay involved, but if I keep hearing them say they are being transparent, I will call them out on that.

Last edited:

43mod

Reaction
“Why not remove “ ? Because it flat out makes you a thief . Changes due to design issues are another issue . Deletions to assure profit would be plain wrong . Thats “why not “

Robin Hood

Reaction
“Why not remove “ ? Because it flat out makes you a thief . Changes due to design issues are another issue . Deletions to assure profit would be plain wrong . Thats “why not “

I agree with you and I would feel obligated if it was my program and my word. Unfortunately, sales guys don't view the world the same way. I could list a view well known names here that have been very successful in the industry and trust me the sale comes first.

Doesn't make it right...but, I would rather them "remove" and deliver than never deliver at all.

10 shot

Reaction
To me watching the last show was all about damage control. Trying to explain what's going on and not robby just saying it. Its probably the worst time to build anything nevermind a new utv. You want them to make money because who wants a one year model then they fold. Can am and Polaris huge companys comparison to speed utv and I am sure they have a escape route if everything goes wrong. Let's all hope it works out for everyone involved.

sand shark

Reaction

Does not make them a thief. It is what manufactures do. Polaris has put in a plastic sprague in the front diff and switched to metal to save a buck. They could of used the inconel manifold, but it became costly with it eating up tooling and the cost of the material, allegedly. So they switched to more cost effective stainless steel.

At the end of the day it is all about profit or they won't survive.

NIKAL

Reaction
So things change a little bit. I can’t believe some are bent on the fact that the turbo manifold changed from Inconel to a stainless material. It’s still better material then my RZR manifold material. I bet 98% did not know what Inconel was? I’ll admit I’d heard of it, but had no real understanding of what it was until I researched it.

Is changing the material concerning me or doubting my deposit? Nope! But for those who are concerned, or if Inconel was the reason for purchasing a Speed UTV, Speed will help you sell your spot. Some have made a hefty profit on selling spots.

How many changes for the good have we seen in the past months or year? I’m guessing allot more good then bad changes.

Im still trying to also understand when some say Robby or Todd are not being transparent. They seem to be telling us allot more then any other production vehicle builder. More then Ford & the Bronco. Sure somethings are not discussed for valid reasons. Maybe Robby should be less transparent and less open about small details, design or material used. So when a change is made the linch mob & torches don’t come out.

I think Robby & Todd only want to build and bring to market the best possible UTV. But in the past year & half allot has changed on this planet. We’ve seen a global pandemic that has shut down every country at some point. We are now seeing huge supply shortage in every sector of the global economy. The fact that Speed UTV is pushing through and is continuing to be committed to try and bring the best product they can to market is amazing to me.

Who would have thought plywood would have been $70 a sheet, and that’s not even the good stuff! The garage doors I’m looking at went up $1000 since January.

So if a few changes are made due to cost or mass manufacturing challenges, I’m OK with it. Because I still don’t think Robby or Todd will accept delivering an inferior product like the other manufactures have been willing to do.

So maybe everyone needs to cut them some slack. I can’t imagine the pressure they are under.

Robin Hood

Reaction
I'm still trying to also understand when some say Robby or Todd are not being transparent. They seem to be telling us allot more then any other production vehicle builder. More then Ford & the Bronco. Sure somethings are not discussed for valid reasons. Maybe Robby should be less transparent and less open about small details, design or material used. So when a change is made the linch mob & torches don’t come out.

Being transparent is not telling us they added a drain plug to the oil filter can or that the car has less bump steer. It would be telling us all the challenges and setbacks that cause delays and issues.

Being transparent might have been...
...letting us know they were going to continue to take deposits after 250 four seaters were sold.
...letting us know that cars would not deliver Thanksgiving, and not just waiting for the date to pass.
...letting us know that things were delayed and there was more time to configure you car.
...letting us know that the 10 production test cars weren't going to be done on the scheduled presented by Todd and maybe an explanation why.
...maybe an update from Todd on the projected timeline he posted on FB and why he was so far off?
...and the best way to be transparent would just be to let us know what the milestones are to delivery, the challanges to achieve each one and when each milestone is crossed.

My biggest beef though is Conner telling me he had to get special permission from Todd to keep one of my early cars from getting bumped because it wasn't configured and the orders had already been sent to the factory. BTW...this was several months ago, if not 6 months ago. Then, a couple weeks later someone was told he could still make changes, no problem! Do you see why some of this doesn't sit well with me and I don't feel that they have been fully transparent?

Last edited: