Speed Pre-Order

sand shark

Reaction
Speed UTV stock might have just gone up!

Can Am’s Mexico Factory where they build the X3 and other UTV’s burnt to the ground.

View attachment 228592View attachment 228593View attachment 228594

So who gets to market first? Can Am or Speed?

It was a 6 days of production cars that went up in the fire. Can Am has resumed production of the cars and will be up to Speed in no time. LOL! The factory itself was not on fire. What went up in flames would of covered more than half of the 2500 deposit holders for Speed.

Bricoop

Reaction
Seems to me lots of this is understood when you put a deposit on an idea. Theres risks and theres rewards. Especially if you're an early/low master unit.

I believe the 500 units was related to a CARB exclusion. Once they exceeded that number there's economies of scale needed to overcome that additional cost. At which point limiting production hurts the business. There's many of these inter-related decisions to take into account.

Did they underestimate what it takes to create a production vehicle? From the outside it appears so. But it also looks like they are not rushing towards some arbitrary date. More design changes are coming. It's just part of the process. Nobody cares if a manifold is made out of inconel, SS, or Unicorn Milk. Everyone just wants a safe, fast, reliable option.

And after these are released you should expect factory recalls. Again, just part of the manufacturing process. It happens to any vehicle supplier; Ford, Polaris, you name it.

I don't see how any of this is much different than the Bronco, except Ford has provided a lot less transparency, has limitless funds, and 100 years of manufacturing experience. OH, you want a Bronco with a metal roof? Congrats, you're now waiting until the 2023 model. The SPEED delays don't seem so bad, all things considered.

43mod

Reaction
I hVe a buddy who would like to buy a 4 seater reservation if one comes up . Changes for engineering are ok . Changes for profit would be bull hit . They figured to make a profit at the number given . No excess profit would be returned i am sure . I hope they do well . Of course all this loss/profit stuff is just BSing from the outside anyhow .
Most importantly besides finishing just make the damn videos 10 to 15 min long . They are worse than a Biden campaign rally . Thats damned hard to do .

McCredie A

Reaction
I hVe a buddy who would like to buy a 4 seater reservation if one comes up . Changes for engineering are ok . Changes for profit would be bull hit . They figured to make a profit at the number given . No excess profit would be returned i am sure . I hope they do well . Of course all this loss/profit stuff is just BSing from the outside anyhow .
Most importantly besides finishing just make the damn videos 10 to 15 min long . They are worse than a Biden campaign rally . Thats damned hard to do .

"oh come on man".

sand shark

Reaction
Seems to me lots of this is understood when you put a deposit on an idea. Theres risks and theres rewards. Especially if you're an early/low master unit.

I believe the 500 units was related to a CARB exclusion. Once they exceeded that number there's economies of scale needed to overcome that additional cost. At which point limiting production hurts the business. There's many of these inter-related decisions to take into account.

Did they underestimate what it takes to create a production vehicle? From the outside it appears so. But it also looks like they are not rushing towards some arbitrary date. More design changes are coming. It's just part of the process. Nobody cares if a manifold is made out of inconel, SS, or Unicorn Milk. Everyone just wants a safe, fast, reliable option.

And after these are released you should expect factory recalls. Again, just part of the manufacturing process. It happens to any vehicle supplier; Ford, Polaris, you name it.

I don't see how any of this is much different than the Bronco, except Ford has provided a lot less transparency, has limitless funds, and 100 years of manufacturing experience. OH, you want a Bronco with a metal roof? Congrats, you're now waiting until the 2023 model. The SPEED delays don't seem so bad, all things considered.

The difference between the Speed UTV and the Bronco is that Ford has a long history of actually producing vehicles. Ford does not have to do presentations and informed the customer of the delay. The customers know they will get their Bronco. Speed has not produced cars before and now you get RG and presentations for over a year.

The Speed delays are not bad at all. People would feel much better if they would of not put out dates and said it was going to be a long process.

NIKAL

Reaction
But at some point you need to start production and leave the new ideas for the next model year.
They are starting production. It’s just this phase is taking longer then they would have hoped for. Remember they are working with an established CM manufacture to build and assemble the vehicles. In most cases this takes years to do and you typically retain 70% of the parts from previous models. Polaris took two years to design the ProStar engine. This is a 100% ground up new vehicle and being done in less time. Plus we are now in a global supply and manpower shortage. So that does not help them one bit!

I know for a fact Todd cut Robby off on continuing to build a better Speed UTV. But I also know some last minute minor improvements like angling the turbo outlet was important for not only performance, but safety as it moves it away from the hot manifold. Leave the fires to RZR! Lol!

Both Robby & Todd know they have a ton of critics that would probably like to see them fail. Because of this they know they only have one shot to get this out and to make a solid footing in the market.

NIKAL

Reaction
The difference between the Speed UTV and the Bronco is that Ford has a long history of actually producing vehicles. Ford does not have to do presentations and informed the customer of the delay. The customers know they will get their Bronco. Speed has not produced cars before and now you get RG and presentations for over a year.

The Speed delays are not bad at all. People would feel much better if they would of not put out dates and said it was going to be a long process.
I have just as much faith that the Speed UTV will come out as I do the Bronco. And that’s 100%. And just because Ford has been producing vehicles 100 years only tells me they need to work on communication better. But when your the giant, I guess you don’t need to care or worry about your customers. I’d take a monthly Ford YouTube video from the President of Ford, or how about a call in Q&A like Robby does. That takes balls! I can’t get a solid date out of Ford, but I do get a letter once in awhile stating I won’t see it for another year!

BTW if I find out that the Bronco uses the same Sh!tty design internal water pump that Ford did in the V6 3.5 engine I will get my deposit back and tell Ford to kiss my ass! Then I’ll worn everyone who wants to listen.

At least Robby is standing by his word. He said he will do weekly presentations until the vehicle is in our hands. He has stayed true to his word, even when there’s nothing new to discuss. And yes they can get boring at times. But think about how Robby feels having to discuss the same things and still getting asked if it’s a turbo, how long is it, what tires are on it etc.. And then having to read all the negativity and trolls trying to put down something he’s working so hard to do. Never understood why people want to see others fail?

Last edited:

apseagle

Reaction
Even though I do not have a Speed car on order, my Wildcat XX is almost completely SpeedUTV, lol. I have watched all his weekly shows and miscellaneous videos. As an engineer with 25 years in product development, off road enthusiast, and motorcycle shop owner, I have 100% confidence that his car will be delivered and it will force the other manufacturers to step up their game in a big way which is a very good thing for us consumers. Nothing in Gordon's delays or revision of components surprises me. He is trying to build the best car in the market in a very short period of time. I have no illusions of grandeur that it will be perfect, but I do believe it will be worlds better than the current best from Can-am and Polaris which are in my shop weekly with repairs (Customers cars, not mine). Some day one will be in my shop needing a repair and I look forward to digging into it and letting my engineering mind go nuts on his designs. For those customers who are patient with him, I feel they will be rewarded with a groundbreaking car. My car is an example of what his suspension designs can do. The previous owner with my car regularly finished desert races high in the ranks of turbo cars. Other Wildcats with his designs are doing the same currently. So I know he can build a solid car.

sand shark

Reaction
I have just as much faith that the Speed UTV will come out as I do the Bronco. And that’s 100%. And just because Ford has been producing vehicles 100 years only tells me they need to work on communication better. But when your the giant, I guess you don’t need to care or worry about your customers. I’d take a monthly Ford YouTube video from the President of Ford, or how about a call in Q&A like Robby does. That takes balls! I can’t get a solid date out of Ford, but I do get a letter once in awhile stating I won’t see it for another year!

BTW if I find out that the Bronco uses the same Sh!tty design internal water pump that Ford did in the V6 3.5 engine I will get my deposit back and tell Ford to kiss my ass! Then I’ll worn everyone who wants to listen.

At least Robby is standing by his word. He said he will do weekly presentations until the vehicle is in our hands. He has stayed true to his word, even when there’s nothing new to discuss. And yes they can get boring at times. But think about how Robby feels having to discuss the same things and still getting asked if it’s a turbo, how long is it, what tires are on it etc.. And then having to read all the negativity and trolls trying to put down something he’s working so hard to do. Never understood why people want to see others fail?
The Ecoboost V6 does not have the same water pump design as the regular V6. Also they are using the 2.7L, not the 3.5 in the Bronco. I think you will be fine. That 2.7L Ecoboost is a good motor and will be a lot of fun in the Bronco. Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota and the rest will never do weekly shows, nor are they needed. They can use the media to make their announcements.

Robby has to keep up the shows. If he stopped doing them, people would really be wondering what he is doing. I don't think anyone wants Speed UTV to fail. It is good for the industry to have another player that brings something different to the table.

I get it takes a long time to do a build a ground up to production car. When they announced the car at the sand show it seemed like they were just going to build on the Wildcat XX platform and use an existing motor (Z1 or something elese). When they went to a ground up build and design on everything I knew there was no way it would be done in a year. I had friends put down deposits at the show. One sold his deposit and has moved onto a sandrail. The other is hoping this desert season he will have his car.

To me Covid and the supply issues was a gift for them. People can understand supply issues and the delays it causes.

Bricoop

Reaction
The Ecoboost V6 does not have the same water pump design as the regular V6. Also they are using the 2.7L, not the 3.5 in the Bronco. I think you will be fine. That 2.7L Ecoboost is a good motor and will be a lot of fun in the Bronco. Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota and the rest will never do weekly shows, nor are they needed. They can use the media to make their announcements.

Robby has to keep up the shows. If he stopped doing them, people would really be wondering what he is doing. I don't think anyone wants Speed UTV to fail. It is good for the industry to have another player that brings something different to the table.

I get it takes a long time to do a build a ground up to production car. When they announced the car at the sand show it seemed like they were just going to build on the Wildcat XX platform and use an existing motor (Z1 or something elese). When they went to a ground up build and design on everything I knew there was no way it would be done in a year. I had friends put down deposits at the show. One sold his deposit and has moved onto a sandrail. The other is hoping this desert season he will have his car.

To me Covid and the supply issues was a gift for them. People can understand supply issues and the delays it causes.
Without Covid, I doubt the UTV would be where it is now. rReallocating resources from SST & Off Road to focus on R&D. PPP was certainly hugely beneficial.

Certain people want RGM to fail, too many inferiority complexes out there. Looking from the outside I agree they will not fail. The concern is money. I do hope that the initial selling price covers build costs. I have to imagine it does or we would see giants leaps in price. Hopefully steel prices cool off soon, but indications are they will not. Mills have intentionally slowed production.

sand shark

Reaction
Without Covid, I doubt the UTV would be where it is now. rReallocating resources from SST & Off Road to focus on R&D. PPP was certainly hugely beneficial.

Certain people want RGM to fail, too many inferiority complexes out there. Looking from the outside I agree they will not fail. The concern is money. I do hope that the initial selling price covers build costs. I have to imagine it does or we would see giants leaps in price. Hopefully steel prices cool off soon, but indications are they will not. Mills have intentionally slowed production.

If SST and Off-roading was normal last year, I agree they would be much farther behind. I am thinking that the current locked in priced cars are breakeven or just slightly above for now. If material cost keep going up that could change by the time the production assembly line is rolling units off to customers.

I expect to see another price increase once production gets rolling. Polaris increased pricing and I am sure Can Am and the rest will follow.

Bricoop

Reaction
If the vehicle is reliable, I expect massive increases in price. We already know the suspension geometry is better and stronger, cage is safer, and it's got a big leg up in HP too. You'd have to dump a ton into an existing model to get something similar.

sand shark

Reaction
If the vehicle is reliable, I expect massive increases in price. We already know the suspension geometry is better and stronger, cage is safer, and it's got a big leg up in HP too. You'd have to dump a ton into an existing model to get something similar.

I agree the frame is way better and the cage. My current 2021 X3 when the tunes are available will be about the same as the Speed UTV for 91 octane. For the X3 to get to 300hp it requires some work, but both a X3 or Speed at that hp are running on E85.

It will be interesting to see how the Speed motor holds up. To me the engine and the drive train/transmission are the unknowns. I hope Speed is writing that shop manual for the dealers.

Bricoop

Reaction
I agree the frame is way better and the cage. My current 2021 X3 when the tunes are available will be about the same as the Speed UTV for 91 octane. For the X3 to get to 300hp it requires some work, but both a X3 or Speed at that hp are running on E85.

It will be interesting to see how the Speed motor holds up. To me the engine and the drive train/transmission are the unknowns. I hope Speed is writing that shop manual for the dealers.
And electrical. Can't underestimate the impact of that.

It will be cool to watch the tuners get after the motor. Based on their comments, I have a sneaking suspicion SPEED has successfully tested far more than 300HP. Maybe that inconel manifold will be available as an aftermarket ;)

sand shark

Reaction
And electrical. Can't underestimate the impact of that.

It will be cool to watch the tuners get after the motor. Based on their comments, I have a sneaking suspicion SPEED has successfully tested far more than 300HP. Maybe that inconel manifold will be available as an aftermarket ;)

I have no doubt that have pushed the motor on the dyno beyond 300, but I think it is asking a lot out of twin cylinder. I don't think the tuners will touch the car until there are enough out there to make it worth the time.

Pretty crazy the hp the tuners are getting out of the UTV motors.

NIKAL

Reaction
Well last night Robby stood by his word and did another weekly show. He mentioned talking about some of the same old stuff, but that they continue to get new customers that want to know these things, so it’s important to talk about it.

We got to see the production cast CVT cover and how it mounts and how it’s double shears the CVT clutches with the outer bearing riding in the cover. He talked about the dual air inlets, and how the fans will push the air through like a wind tunnel and then blow out across the exhaust to help cool it. Looks like a lot of aero computer simulations were probably used to help design it. It will be a tool less cover to remove too.

More transparency as Robby admitted they made a mistake and the Bandit will stay at 95-96 inch WB, vs the 100 WB they were looking at last week. The reason for the change was body fitment, as the door & rear fender were not lining up at 95 inches. Making it 100 WB fixes that issue, but to many extra parts would have to be changed or retooled. The reason for adding the 5 inches was to help the body panels line up, so all cars used the same bodies. He showed a bunch of drawings explaining the issue or mistake. He said every manufacture he’s worked with you build a 2 seater, then stretch it to 4. They did the opposite and designed the 4 seater first, as that’s what the customers wanted. That’s how body lines got off by 3/4-1 inch. But it’s not going to work by adding 5 inches, to the car, so they will retool the rear bedside so that a 96 on WB Bandit will have the same tight .250 gaps at the body lines as the other two models. Also this will be a running model change. This will not stop or push out the starting assembly time as the Bandit production was pretty far down the line as multiple groups of 4 seaters and Diablos were in-front of the Bandit production.

Without putting a delivery date out there, Robby did say they plan to have some of the 10 PreProduction cars at the Sand Show. So that tells me customers will not have cars prior to September, if we are hoping to see some of the 10 they are working on now.

Robby also mentioned during the call in segment that the pricing is going up. The base model will stay the same price but other trims will see price increases. The fact is material cost have gone up, so he said we will have to take a hit on some of the earlier deposits holders, but that it was alright, and the right thing to do. They are sticking to the pricing you bought into.

I’m sure there is still profit in the early cars, just not as much due to current costs going up. But like most new companies, it’s just going to take longer to get out of the red and into the black. In reality it might take a couple of years to pay back the upfront costs. But as long as your making a profit to cover those expenses, then your doing it right. And your always reinvesting back into the company as well.

10 shot

Reaction
Why would anyone want more then 300 hp out of a utv? Do ppl just want to push it till it blows up every ride? Seems like since the first utv came out its always hp hp hp. Now a 660 rhino was down on hp but now 200+ hp from the factory motors that are very reliable and do 90+ mph are pretty good. 80 + in the desert is not bad for a toy basically. The stupid stuff ppl do with them never ends it blows my mind when I watch videos of what ppl do with no experience just lots of beer. There will be a day the government locks down on these if things keep heading in the direction they are. Be very careful of what you wish for.

sredish

Reaction
I worry that with the more power and more speed and the usage that's seen on the road at times, that at some point regulation could come in regarding the usage and / or licensing for these. Here in AZ, we see them running down the highway at 80. We keep asking for more speed and more power, at some point we do have to be careful.