Speed Pre-Order

Total Loss

RDC Crypto
Considering the big picture, maybe they plan on offering a "street legal" version in the future. If they have DOT approved parts, if you can get insurance, a warranty, financing, local servicing, etc., then they are one step from becoming a small scale manufacturer. And if that deathtrap "Smart Car" can pass crash tests than a Speed UTV can too. Now obviously kalifornistan and other I failed spelling holes aren't the target, but if RG and TR were to survey all the individual state requirements they could find a list of common mods and get these things on the street.
No way...not DOT. Way too many items to address, SRS, crash tests.
I watched a crash test at NHTSA in Virginia once back in the day...MAJOR engineering involved and reason why cars and trucks look the way they do.

Total Loss

RDC Crypto
Can Am and Polaris have enclosed models that are pretty nice. I think Speed will have a nice race program once they start getting the customer cars out and can legitimately race in the production class. Whether they have a huge race program really will depend on how well they do and how easy it will be for someone to get a race Speed car set up. I think they will have the usually growing pains racing like all the others.

I hope someone comes out with a single seat sport model. The RS1 looks like fun.
RS1 is super fun. Buddy has one...

Tom_Willis

RDC Crypto
No way...not DOT. Way too many items to address, SRS, crash tests.
I watched a crash test at NHTSA in Virginia once back in the day...MAJOR engineering involved and reason why cars and trucks look the way they do.
So unless they use some exception or exemption for small manufacturers then it's impossible. But if certain states let you register a "kit car" and your "kit" requires you to "hand assemble" certain parts required for DOT compliance; that might be the workaround. How did Local Motors ever get to sell those Warfighter cars in kalifornistan?

Total Loss

RDC Crypto
So unless they use some exception or exemption for small manufacturers then it's impossible. But if certain states let you register a "kit car" and your "kit" requires you to "hand assemble" certain parts required for DOT compliance; that might be the workaround. How did Local Motors ever get to sell those Warfighter cars in kalifornistan?
There are limits on special construction vehicles.
Chopper dudes like OC choppers and Jesse James got in trouble for going over limits and DOT rules.
Kits would be different but I can't see that happening here.

One interesting thing I just saw the other day...the new Honda 2200 genny was a 49 state model...back to that now.

Tom_Willis

RDC Crypto
Last time I purchased a Weed Mower I found out there was a "49 state" version too; it requires the operator to keep the throttle grip tight or it shuts off. Perfect for when you are trying to actually cut through thick weeds & have to pull them off the cutter. Then you have to pull start it while it's stuffed with debris.

McCredie A

RDC Crypto
I think UTV's are pretty easy to street register in AZ. I am sure you could look it up. Or get a kit from an aftermarket company. I am looking forward to the process. I feel once the closed cabs are available we will know about the reliability. And Speed should have a lot of possible new car blues worked out.

I got to see the test mule at hangtown this weekend. It had all the billet stuff JLM wiring. But it was nice to get an idea of the car. It looks great.

burro8

RDC Crypto
I was at the Hangtown National Motocross final last Saturday. Carson Motosports from Carson City Nevada was the event sponsor. They were driving around the Prairie City facility is a Speed 4 seat UTV.

Total Loss

RDC Crypto
I had one and personally didn't like it. To short, to narrow and to high center of gravity.
Drove it in the dunes and dez...dunes were really fun...dez...my XX handled better but still fun with the center drive watching both tires.

mrlentle

RDC Crypto
With a longer wheelbase and a little wider it would be super fun. The group I ride with in Glamis always joke we should get them for night rides.

Like this? @Dave Cole 4454 in his stretched RS1 (pulled from @RacingTraX DavidRClay Instagram page)
1631732981846.png

It's gonna be a fun group to follow

Robin Hood

RDC Crypto
With a longer wheelbase and a little wider it would be super fun. The group I ride with in Glamis always joke we should get them for night rides.
Yes, wider would help and longer would be a big bonus, but then you need a turbo for the extra weight. After all that you would have a small fortune into a very low demand toy :eek:. That is why I sold mine.

pyrocoyote1

RDC Crypto
looking forward to the unveiling of the Speed UTV pre prodution car at 6:00 at the sands sports supershow. wish i could have made it this year.