Speed Pre-Order

the_owl

RDC Crypto
True trailing arms
dual plunge axles
same axle, hub, shock, arm at every end.
turbo facing the way it should
radiator in the back
a real cage
the roof
shift on the fly trans with overdrive designed and built with Weddle
pretty impressive dash which im betting will be android and a lot of fun to root
front bulkhead with integrated tabs
massive rhino sized bed.
the wheel face being the beadlock (not sure of the advantage there)

norutah

RDC Crypto
That is correct, DOM is a process, but that process makes the steel stronger then seemed steel. Also the Speed UTV rear shock mount backbone is chromoly plate boxed, as is all the suspension.

So compared to the other manufactures I’d say the Speed is way ahead in quality material used. Does anyone else use DOM in their chassis? What about Chromoly? What about proper wall thickness?

I also would not consider the .095 wall thickness, Speed UTV chassis over built? I would say the others are very under built, and poorly designed especially for the speeds and abuse these vehicles were “designed” for.

I don’t know if I would use the word “Light Years” ahead, but using the word Decade would be a huge compliment, as I don’t see any of the other manufactures stepping up to proper tubing or wall thickness in the next decade. Their bottom line can’t afford it!
I participated in a review of a, soon to be release, from a major player. The presentation portion was filled with verbiage like stronger axles. I asked them, stronger than what and was told they were stronger than the old ones. I actually laughed at them. Then they said the frame was stronger. Yes, I asked them again. Stronger than what. I received the same response. This review took place right when the Speed presentations were getting into material, wall thicknesses, types of aluminum, etc.

Zambo

RDC Crypto
Clearly the CanAm frames are under-built. They have way too many cracks over time. The new frame is supposedly 30% thicker material, at least in the problem areas. Time will tell if that alleviates some of the cracking issues. IMO the main problem with a lot of these frames is the lack of triangulation, which leads to flexing, which of course leads to cracks.

Bricoop

RDC Crypto
Clearly the CanAm frames are under-built. They have way too many cracks over time. The new frame is supposedly 30% thicker material, at least in the problem areas. Time will tell if that alleviates some of the cracking issues. IMO the main problem with a lot of these frames is the lack of triangulation, which leads to flexing, which of course leads to cracks.
Yes, Thank you. Even just intrusion bars would make a difference, IMO.

A-Tech_Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.atechfabrication.com
That is correct, DOM is a process, but that process makes the steel stronger then seemed steel. Also the Speed UTV rear shock mount backbone is chromoly plate boxed, as is all the suspension.

So compared to the other manufactures I’d say the Speed is way ahead in quality material used. Does anyone else use DOM in their chassis? What about Chromoly? What about proper wall thickness?

I also would not consider the .095 wall thickness, Speed UTV chassis over built? I would say the others are very under built, and poorly designed especially for the speeds and abuse these vehicles were “designed” for.

I don’t know if I would use the word “Light Years” ahead, but using the word Decade would be a huge compliment, as I don’t see any of the other manufactures stepping up to proper tubing or wall thickness in the next decade. Their bottom line can’t afford it!
Technically DOM does not make the tube stronger, just more reliable. Most 4130 tube is also DOM with thicker tubes being seamless which is an entirely different process.
It is not overbuilt in the type of material, just in the size and number of tubes used -which is why it is much heavier. There is nothing wrong with using smaller/thinner material if it is engineered correctly.

sand shark

RDC Crypto

After looking at the 2022 X3 at the Sand Show I am not sure the entire frame is 30% thicker. Not to mention weight listed for the 2021 model is the same as the 2022 model.

DTA 55

RDC Crypto
Technically DOM does not make the tube stronger, just more reliable. Most 4130 tube is also DOM with thicker tubes being seamless which is an entirely different process.
It is not overbuilt in the type of material, just in the size and number of tubes used -which is why it is much heavier. There is nothing wrong with using smaller/thinner material if it is engineered correctly.

Is the Canam chassis better engineered with thinner material then say the Speed UTV using a "lower grade" material but thicker in diameter and in wall with triangulation?

Apples to apples

69d79febacd3c469f164481e88ace64a.jpg
speed-UTV-4-seater-el-jefe-chassis-triangulation-1-650x366.jpg

A-Tech_Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.atechfabrication.com
Is the Canam chassis better engineered with thinner material then say the Speed UTV using a "lower grade" material but thicker in diameter and in wall with triangulation?
Is your definition of "better engineered" using thicker tubes? You can have a crap design with thick tubes or a good design with thin tubes. It is the design that is important, not the material. I have never looked at any other UTV's (too much bodywork) or know what material they used, so I have no comment.

Zambo

RDC Crypto
There's nothing wrong with radius rods IMO. Yes there is more track width change in the rear than a car with plunging axles. Guess what, there is always going to be track width change in the front as well due to A-arms cycling on the same arc that radius rods use.

The toe link in the rear of the CanAm really helps any adverse effects of track width change because it "steers" the rear tire in a stabilizing direction. At full droop it is steering the tire outboard and vice versa at full bump, making the car track amazingly straight in the whoops.

The reversible trailing arm is a pretty sweet deal. I imagine that after all this time they have figured out how to make the plunging axles live. Whether it turns out in the long run (reliability, maintenance and handling) will be one of the more interesting things to watch.

DTA 55

RDC Crypto
Is your definition of "better engineered" using thicker tubes? You can have a crap design with thick tubes or a good design with thin tubes. It is the design that is important, not the material. I have never looked at any other UTV's (too much bodywork) or know what material they used, so I have no comment.
Edited to add, nowhere did I say using thicker tubes led to better engineering. I was asking you a question.

See above, there are some photos of both bare chassis up there.

Canam supposedly uses an "exotic" material (dual phase 980 steel), I know nothing about it. However we all know it is much thinner.

I am asking your expertise based on the drawings and the facts. Which is a "better engineered" chassis?

Last edited:

sand shark

RDC Crypto

Apples to apples

View attachment 233538View attachment 233539
That Max frame might not be the latest frame. In 2019/2020 they added diagonal tubes under the seats for more triangulation. My new X3 has them.

Speed frame is stout looking.

McCredie A

RDC Crypto
Can anyone post the link to Weddle saying this gear box has help up the best so far?

norutah

RDC Crypto
Has anyone here ever cut-up/pulled apart an OEM cage? It's frightening. Hopefully it's better now, but I doubt it.
Yes, when I removed the stock cage on the can am, I cut the tubing just above the welds and then ground the welds off of the plate. Not only was the tubing thin, it seemed brittle. But also, after the first front a pillar was cut, it sprung outward ~2". Car had 10 miles

DTA 55

RDC Crypto
That Max frame might not be the latest frame. In 2019/2020 they added diagonal tubes under the seats for more triangulation. My new X3 has them.

Speed frame is stout looking.
My apologies, literally the only image I could find online and im sure you're correct.

Heres a rendering Mega did I guess when he was upgrading his chassis. He apparently thought it needed it alot of work...
download.jpg

sand shark

RDC Crypto
My apologies, literally the only image I could find online and im sure you're correct.

Heres a rendering Mega did I guess when he was upgrading his chassis. He apparently thought it needed it alot of work...View attachment 233540
No big deal. Not like Can Am really added that much stuff. LOL!

Mega's 4 seater is really nice and very stout. He did a lot of work on it. And now he has it for sale.

sand shark

RDC Crypto
Yes, when I removed the stock cage on the can am, I cut the tubing just above the welds and then ground the welds off of the plate. Not only was the tubing thin, it seemed brittle. But also, after the first front a pillar was cut, it sprung outward ~2". Car had 10 miles
What ever Can Am uses likes to eat up cut off wheels and drill bits.

When I cut off my cage on my 2018 I want to say the wall thickness was .065.