Speed Pre-Order

TRXSonoma

RDC Crypto
Oh it’s gets better! The axle goes through the lower shock shaft eyelet.

Hey 10 Shot I assume you knew all about this brilliant Polaris design right?
Are you trying to spin this as a bad thing? It makes perfect sense and is not a new concept.

10 shot

RDC Crypto
Are you trying to spin this as a bad thing? It makes perfect sense and is not a new concept.
If it was on the speed car and robby said it was the next best thing and had some rubber flaps hiding it everyone would be rubbing themselves off. I do know that car had over 3 years testing it and again time will tell if it's all a great idea just like the speed car. Polaris has been around awhile longer than speed if that means something.

afortune46

RDC Crypto
View attachment 233563

uh... You do know the guy that builds RG's trophy truck stuff does that same thing right...

1634777858263.png

A-Tech_Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.atechfabrication.com
I have not used any of the Dual Phase material so I looked into it. I really can’t see why it would be used for roll cages, it is similar in many ways heat treated 4130, which is great for suspension parts, not good for a roll cage.

1020 Cold Drawn B85
Tensile 82ksi
Yield 70ksi
Elongation 20% <- Good

4130 Normalized RC19
Tensile 98ksi
Yield 87ksi
Elongation 21% <- Good

4130 heat treated to RC31
Tensile 146ksi
Yield 133ksi
Elongation 17% <- Still Good

R8 approved by NHRA, SCCA, USAC, etc…
Tensile 116ksi
Yield 100ksi
Elongation 8% <- Not too good, 1/3 of 4130N

980DP
Tensile 142ksi
Yield 110ksi
Elongation 5% <- Terrible for a roll cage!!!

Here is a link to Docol Tube R8

Also SCORE has only approved the use of 1018/1020/1026 and 4130 and advises not to heat treat. So is the CanAm even legal?

A-Tech_Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.atechfabrication.com
I have not used any of the Dual Phase material so I looked into it. I really can’t see why it would be used for roll cages, it is similar in many ways heat treated 4130, which is great for suspension parts, not good for a roll cage.

1020 Cold Drawn B85
Tensile 82ksi
Yield 70ksi
Elongation 20% <- Good

4130 Normalized RC19
Tensile 98ksi
Yield 87ksi
Elongation 21% <- Good

4130 heat treated to RC31
Tensile 146ksi
Yield 133ksi
Elongation 17% <- Still Good

R8 approved by NHRA, SCCA, USAC, etc…
Tensile 116ksi
Yield 100ksi
Elongation 8% <- Not too good, 1/3 of 4130N

980DP
Tensile 142ksi
Yield 110ksi
Elongation 5% <- Terrible for a roll cage!!!

Here is a link to Docol Tube R8

Also SCORE has only approved the use of 1018/1020/1026 and 4130 and advises not to heat treat. So is the CanAm even legal?
After some further research the biggest difference between 4130 and Docol R8 is the carbon content.

1020 .20%
4130 .30%
Docol R8 .15%

The positives:
The low carbon makes it more foolproof to weld; the heat affected zone actually gets softer, not harder like 4130 if you cool it too quickly. This means the tube is more likely to bend in the weld zone instead of crack which is probably why the auto industry likes it. But if you preheat, postheat and control temps when welding, the 4130 can be just as durable in the weld zones.

The negatives:
Low elongation can allow the tube to break instead of bending in a really bad crash with many tumbles. But for the auto industry a crash is usually a short single event and the car is totaled.

It has a weld seam, it is not DOM. So you need to align the weld seam in the neutral area when bending.

NIKAL

RDC Crypto
uh... You do know the guy that builds RG's trophy truck stuff does that same thing right...

View attachment 233565
Yes, Kibby built RG’s new rear trailing arms, but thats all he’s built for RG’s TT, per RG. And yes his Chevy kit has to do the same split shock shaft rod end. I’m guessing he did it because of the situation of building a LT kit on a stock factory truck platform. I’m betting if he could have figured a better way without doing it he would have? I also bet that kit will not see the abuse a UTV will.

Polaris started with a clean slate and that was the best concept they could come up with. Maybe it’s away if getting around a patent? From what I’m gathering this new RZR might be classified as a buggy, and not a UTV. Which could also be away around some patent issues? We will have too see in a few weeks?

sand shark

RDC Crypto
If it was on the speed car and robby said it was the next best thing and had some rubber flaps hiding it everyone would be rubbing themselves off. I do know that car had over 3 years testing it and again time will tell if it's all a great idea just like the speed car. Polaris has been around awhile longer than speed if that means something.
You know how it goes. If RG did not design it for a UTV it must be crap. LOL!

sand shark

RDC Crypto
View attachment 233563

Certainly a funky design, but it might work. Not really adding any extra steps if you have to remove an axle as you already have to unbolt the shock anyway. The rear link through the trailing arm is interesting idea.

I want to see what they show on 11/9 and maybe the give some insight as why they designed it that way. The engineer I spoke to at the Sand Show I guess was right when he said they would be releasing the Pro R in the 4th quarter.

afortune46

RDC Crypto
G’s TT, per RG. And yes his Chevy kit has to do the same split shock shaft rod end. I’m guessing he did it because of the situation of building a LT kit on a stock factory truck platform. I’m betting if he could have figured a better way with
he has it on several of his kits. its not a new design though. this stuff has been done for years. but I guess if its something new no ones tried before its must be crap. damn that innovation!

10 shot

RDC Crypto
Not sure why it's so bad I guess because you do not see it on every model utv. The axles do not care if they ride thru the shock or next to the shock. Everything moves at once. I am pretty sure it was not a afterthought like oh dam now what are we going to do with this shock In the way! Glad to see Polaris step it up and stop coming out with a model every month like they were.