On Topic Speed zones? (Get your popcorn ready).

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Three questions-

1. can you pass on highway speed zone sections (legally). (Passing other racers specifically)

2. Can you block other racers by getting over if they try and pass?

3. Can you nerf them if they do block?

FWIW- there’s lotsa arguments going on Facebook about this going on and when I ask if these are rules everyone just says “it’s a speed zone” and “it’s a safe zone”. Those feel like “non answers” to me so I wanna know the rules by people who know.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Chas Moore

Reaction
There are no real arguments, this isnt too hard to figure out.

1. can you pass on highway speed zone sections (legally). (Passing other racers specifically) - Yes as long as your arent speeding or within 300ft of a checkpoint, show me the rule that says you cant.

2. Can you block other racers by getting over if they try and pass? Yes, show me the rule that says you cant.

3. Can you nerf them if they do block? Yes, show me the rule that says you cant.

Dirty Harry

Reaction
I assume that EVERYONE does the posted speed in the speed zone, so passing would require someone to go above that speed. I mean with no dust it is the easiest place to catch someone so at that point it comes down to SCORE making the penalty for doing so large enough to discourage people from speeding/passing on the pavement.

Andy Mac

Simply Stunning
Reaction
Answers from BEFORE the Baja 500 as per my conversations with SCORE about the issue:

1. Yes, you can even speed up to pass however many vehicles you want to pass and will only be assessed a time penalty for the mph the tracking pinged you at.

2. No, you are not allowed to do this even though it doesn't say it anywhere in the rules nor in the driver's meetings.

3. Yes, you can nerf on the highway as much as you'd like.

For the record, I do no agree with any of these rules and they actually almost sicken me. I truly hope all these questions are answered in a logical manner by SCORE before the next race.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
I assume that EVERYONE does the posted speed in the speed zone, so passing would require someone to go above that speed.
Not even close.

We passed two guys in the the 37 zone after the wash in ensenada. First seemed to be averaging 32ish and stayed center of 8 lanes of the asphalt.. second lifted for the little jumps when we got on the dirt. I 'sent it' at a blistering 34 mph to make the pass.

Dirty Harry

Reaction
Not even close.

We passed two guys in the the 37 zone after the wash in ensenada. First seemed to be averaging 32ish and stayed center of 8 lanes of the asphalt.. second lifted for the little jumps when we got on the dirt. I 'sent it' at a blistering 34 mph to make the pass.
Wow, they are blowing it on the easiest part of the course!

51rcr

Reaction
in vintage class we passed a car on the road. not sure how fast they were going but it was easy and didnt even get a beep. They feel back fast maybe they were going 28. Kinda stayed behind and catching them at 32 and realized i guess there playing it safe.

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
Surely the rules of the highway would apply? Or is this just too logical?

y2kbaja

Reaction
Your 37 or 60 may be different then my 37 or 60.
Also, if you're doing 60 and the turn is coming up, do you slow down? Or do you maintain 60 thru the turn?
And, if it's not in the rule book or said at the drivers meeting, then it's legal!

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
It's a RACE....and guess what, poop HAPPENS in a RACE....

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Maybe no passing 300' before the turn back on course could also be a good idea so guys dont try to jump in front at the last second. Also I have had chase trucks block us before. Some guys in a "Wide Open Baja" chase truck was doing was doing 55/57 with no traffic in front of them then when we tried to pass at 60 the speed up to 59/60. They new what they were doing. I was on the horn and lights and the would not let us do 60mph. Very un sportsman like. Teams should get penalized if they do that intentionally.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
Answers from BEFORE the Baja 500 as per my conversations with SCORE about the issue:

1. Yes, you can even speed up to pass however many vehicles you want to pass and will only be assessed a time penalty for the mph the tracking pinged you at.

2. No, you are not allowed to do this even though it doesn't say it anywhere in the rules nor in the driver's meetings.

3. Yes, you can nerf on the highway as much as you'd like.

For the record, I do no agree with any of these rules and they actually almost sicken me. I truly hope all these questions are answered in a logical manner by SCORE before the next race.
Wait a second, Y ou don't like the rules? Or Y ou want rules followed??? You TOLD me on last fish show that Y ou WOULD NOT YIELD position if Y ou were caught and BUMPED if it was near the end of the race....so Y ou don't follow the rules but want

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
Wait a second, Y ou don't like the rules? Or Y ou want rules followed??? You TOLD me on last fish show that Y ou WOULD NOT YIELD position if Y ou were caught and BUMPED if it was near the end of the race....so Y ou don't follow the rules but want
More???

Andy Mac

Simply Stunning
Reaction
Come again? Here's what I'm saying:

1. can you pass on highway speed zone sections (legally). (Passing other racers specifically). Yes, before the Baja 500 you could. What I don't agree with is that there is not a rule for speeding above the speed limit to pass another vehicle and gain track position and take the minor speeding penalty.

2. Can you block other racers by getting over if they try and pass? No, you couldn't do this before this years Baja 500. Would I do this if someone tried to pass me by speeding over the speed limit to gain track position? Yes I would. So, yes I guess I would have broken that rule if someone tried to do that to me during this race.

3. Can you nerf them if they do block? This was legal before the Baja 500 (nerfing on the hwy if blocked). And no, it should not be legal to nerf on the highway sections.

Which rule don't I follow? Running if bumped at the end of the race you say? BTW, there's no rule about having to move over if you are nerfed in the dirt, is there?

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Because this is on an OPEN PUBLIC HIGHWAY. You are not supposed to be "racing" on the highway, we used to do that but the police and locals didn't like it. Remember? In the dirt, bring it on. Rubbing is racing.

I'm so confused how everyone lately has been arguing about how we need to make the sport safer after multiple deaths and accidents yet some how no one thinks this was dangerous and stupid? Do you guys not realize there were a ton of course workers and spectators in that corner Davis pushed him in? What if Wilson lost control? Do people have to die before everyone goes "gee that really was too dangerous". BJ drives through a tent = dangerous but Davis punts Wilson in a corner full of people = not dangerous? How does that make sense at all?

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
Yes
Come again? Here's what I'm saying:

1. can you pass on highway speed zone sections (legally). (Passing other racers specifically). Yes, before the Baja 500 you could. What I don't agree with is that there is not a rule for speeding above the speed limit to pass another vehicle and gain track position and take the minor speeding penalty.

2. Can you block other racers by getting over if they try and pass? No, you couldn't do this before this years Baja 500. Would I do this if someone tried to pass me by speeding over the speed limit to gain track position? Yes I would. So, yes I guess I would have broken that rule if someone tried to do that to me during this race.

3. Can you nerf them if they do block? This was legal before the Baja 500 (nerfing on the hwy if blocked). And no, it should not be legal to nerf on the highway sections.

Which rule don't I follow? Running if bumped at the end of the race you say? BTW, there's no rule about having to move over if you are nerfed in the dirt, is there?
Yes there is.....running after nerfed is against rules