Spindals/uprights?

Sean

Reaction
How hard is it to install 3" lift spindals in a S-10, i have done work on cars before (changing brakes, shocks etc) but have never done anything like this. Its a 2001 S-10, i know that i also need longer brake lines. What tools "special tools" would i need?

UndercoverFab

Reaction
only thign special you`ll probably need are a pickle fork for knocking the ball joints loose and a spring compressor, you can do that loan a tool thign at pep boys for the spring compressor and they sell cheap pickle forks for like 8 bucks.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
you dont need anything special really not the pickle fork or the compressor really. i have beat my spring back into the pocket before at like 10 ayt night when no one was open. just use common sense. a spring compressor would be good though. also just hit the spindle where the balljoint is and it should come out realativly easily.

Gregg

sweetdevil

Reaction
GET THE SPRING COMPRESSOR!!!
I have had to take off and put those things on 5 times, and it sucks... (stock ones aren't too bad, but my CST LT ones suck!)
you can borrow them from autozone. Give them $50 and you get it back when you return the compressor. (just make sure they give you the coil spring compressor, not the strut compressor, I had to argue with the last guy about it, cuz he said i needed the other one)
It only compresses the springs a few inches, but it REALLY makes it easier. Just a warning (something I found out from a bad experience) A compressed coil spring is a ticking bomb. Handle it carefully (beating it with a hammer into the lower arm is not a good idea) and don't drop it! The compresser comes off and will bust open and in whatever direction some important body part is...

michael_loomis

Reaction
lol i cant figure out for the life of me why you need a coil spring compressor to install those spindles !! just put a floor jack under the lower a arm . if you leave the shock on (no reason to even remove it) the arm cant let the spring come out anyways . just hit the spindle real hard with a big hammer where the ball joints bolt on and they will pop out . its a piece of cake really..... steering stops will be another matter though

UndercoverFab

Reaction
well i figured telling hi mthe correct way of doing it was better then telling him the ghetto way of doing it then getting bitched at for him losing a finger or a testicle form a flying spring

yotatech

Reaction
When we did spindles on NOODLE's moms truck we just jacked it up and put the jack stands under the lower arm. To remove the spindle you just swing the upper control arm up and pull it out. Also just use a hammer on the spindle where the ball joint is, itll just pop out.

Project1500

Reaction
Michael Loomis had it perfect!!!

"lol i cant figure out for the life of me why you need a coil spring compressor to install those spindles !! just put a floor jack under the lower a arm . if you leave the shock on (no reason to even remove it) the arm cant let the spring come out anyways . just hit the spindle real hard with a big hammer where the ball joints bolt on and they will pop out . its a piece of cake really..... "

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
I second loomis Idea, It is a proven method and if you can't or don't want to get a coil compressor a floor jack, Big Strap and a hammer work faster and smoother.

Sean

Reaction
Ok, once i get my tires and brake calipers off can somebody please explain start to finish how i do this?, THANKS

michael_loomis

Reaction
when your ready ... PM me , ill give you my number and walk you through it.

sorry , hope i didnt come off mean about the coil spring compressor idea , it just seemed a bit useless to me .

Project1500

Reaction
The only other reason a coil spring compresser would be a benefit is because sometimes the truck will tend to want to lift which would keep you from removing/seating the coil.

FordFreak

Reaction
When my buddy and I installed the spindle on my f-150 we just put the jack under the a-arm and beat the spindle out as well. Had no problems.

DESERTTOOL

Reaction
BEWARE IF YOU DO NOT CONTROL THE SPRING IT CAN AND WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GET THE BEST SPRING COMPRESSOR you can find and they are NOT sold at pep boys.