split drive shaft vs. solid

bajakirby23

Reaction
which is better a split or a solid drive shaft? i was working on my truck and it has a split drive shaft and i was looking at how it cycled the stock suspension and it works fine for stock but it looks like if it went any farther that it would bind. so i thought it would be better to cut out the carrier barring and have a strat drive shaft put in. any info would be helpful.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Driveshafts can only be so long...thats why you have a 2 piece. The longer the driveshaft the more vibration there will be which will cause failure. If it could have had a one piece....the factory would have used it to save money, but when you swap from 2 piece to one piece as ford did in 98...they increased diameter and went to aluminum...much more money then steel so if you got the money...go for it. Also there may be a clearance issue with a 1 piece coming up and hitting the cab or crossmember. Remember....Engineers do things for a reason...

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
Are we talking rangers her it seems so? What going to hold in the shaft if you go to a one piece. The carrier bearing hold the front shaft in place-slip yoke behind the carrier for those unfamiliar.

What did the factory do. Is thier a fixed yoke attached to the transmission?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
the yoke at the rear end holds the shaft in...if you build something rediculous with awful DS plunge/extension then you have to worry about the shaft falling out of the transmission...Even if it was a fixed yoke with a plunging driveshaft...it only plunges and extends so far.

orvacian

Reaction
Toyotas like mine can handle 20" of travel or more with a stock 2 piece drive shaft. Longer springs make the axle move along a different path then stock so it's hard to tell from looking at it with stock springs. A 2 piece drive shaft will also give you better ground clearance so it is less likely to break from hitting something. Imagine how much force is put on a 6' long one piece drive shaft when you land from a big jump.

Crashbig

Reaction
I've been thinking the same thing on my Nissan, right now the way I have the 4-link setup, I have about 3 inches of total movement in the drive shaft, this is only on paper, so it could change once I start mocking it up on the truck. I don't know about rangers, but on Nissans the carrier bearing flexes about 1.5 in and out and thats stressing it any farther and the rubber would tear around the bearing. Would it still work if I had a slip yoke made up for the second section of the drive shaft or would their be to much movement and cause vibration issues.