spool or detroit or open or what?

Haycock

Reaction
im biulding a cut down 9" for my buggy and im most likely going to put a spool in it. im leaning towards a spool becouse its cheep, strong, and real perdictable. i was also thinking ARB but thats kinda out of my budget. i would like some different opinions and to see what every one is running.

some info on my buggy- mid engine, 2400lbs, 4.3L, 124"wb

thanks

Captain Air Time

Reaction
im biulding a cut down 9" for my buggy and im most likely going to put a spool in it. im leaning towards a spool becouse its cheep, strong, and real perdictable. i was also thinking ARB but thats kinda out of my budget. i would like some different opinions and to see what every one is running.

some info on my buggy- mid engine, 2400lbs, 4.3L, 124"wb

thanks
If it is for dirt only, I can't see ever wanting other than a spool. You said it -reliable - predictable.

Open = stuck, detroit= broken (though maybe not in your ap)

ARB= great, but when would you ever unlock it, and why?

Haycock

Reaction
thats pretty much what i was thinking. the only reason i would want to unlock the rear is in the sand and in tight areas where i would like to turn sharp. but im thinking the extra money isnt worth it, it would just be kinda nice to have.

jgbjgb

Reaction
There are pros and cons of each:

Spool - Always locked always acts the same, can push in turns, hard for tight slow turns but as mentioned you can swing the rear around with throttle if you do not have a really tippy vehicle.

Air and electric lockers -

Air - Locked or open, need on board air compressor, must insure hoses are protected and check for leaks, are very popular. Arb

Electric - Locked or open, also very popular, instead of hoses have an electrical wire going into top of diff. Eaton.

Limited slip - After market LSD's are much more aggressive then OEM LSD's. Many different types, clutch, cone, worm gear. You can "tune" the clutch types to your application. Never will equal a spool and will eventually slip but depending on how it is set up will slip sooner or later. The clutches and cones will eventually wear out and will need to be replaced.

Detroit Locker - Locked but becomes unlocked in turns, except under heavy throttle, are stout. Some are annoyed by the clunking when engaging and disengaging, can be unpredictable due to this engagment disengagement on twisting winding driving.

I have a mini buggy with a spool (independent rear susp).
My truck (96 Ford F150 4WD) has an Eaton electric locker in the front and the rear has a Eaton Positraction LSD. The standard after market comes with 14 Carbon fiber clutches with 400 lb preload springs, mine is set up with 18 steel clutches and 800 lb preload springs.

I hope some of this helped.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
yes it is irs. and yes i do wonder...
A cut down 9" IRS?:confused: Is it just a 9" center section then? I was going to say full spool of course but if it is IRS then....

Haycock

Reaction
yes 9" 3rd with a custom housing and stub shafts. it should be about 13" from flange to flange.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Id say LSD but Im sure someone else with IRS experience can give you a more informed answer.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
yes it is irs. and yes i do wonder...
Because they will save themselves and ruin everything else. If there is one thing a spool won't do with IRS, it's save you money.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
A 930 CV has a torque rating of about 2500FTLB's. With 4.88 gearing and 3.21 first gear this will give you a maximum motor torque of 160FTLB's with a spool to be safe. You can double that safely with an open diff.

My vote would be for a Truetrac.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Disclaimer, Those are the factory specs for cars that are intended to go 100K+ miles. I'm sure you could exceed those numbers by quite a bit and get away with it. Thats the "it will never break number".

Captain Air Time

Reaction
Disclaimer, Those are the factory specs for cars that are intended to go 100K+ miles. I'm sure you could exceed those numbers by quite a bit and get away with it. Thats the "it will never break number".
Good point. I have no problem with periodic replacement or service, IF I can count on it 95% for the interval.

Haycock

Reaction
My vote would be for a Truetrac.
i just did a quick look for a 35 spline true trac and couldnt find one for a high pinion 9". they have 28 spline and 31. i wanted to go 35 spline (30 deg) cus it wouldnt be that much more money but how do you think 31 spline would do with a trutrac? im running 33"x12.5" tires...

thanks for all the feedback!

Last edited:

Captain Air Time

Reaction
i just did a quick look for a 35 spline true trac and couldnt find one for a high pinion 9". they have 28 spline and 31. i wanted to go 35 spline (30 deg) cus it wouldnt be that much more money but how do you think 31 spline would do with a trutrac? im running 33"x12.5" tires...

thanks for all the feedback!
Funny storry: about 4 years ago, I installed my new 31 spline Truetrac in my Exploder's 8.8. everything went smooth - too smooth. I should have noticed that the axles went in a bit too easy, but whatever. Full of fluid, in gear, whirrrr! no motion. it turned out to be either 33 or 35 spline, can't remember. Tractech was surprised, said it wasn't even made in that size.

Anyway, if I can thrash the bag off my 4000LB explorer (33's), catch 8 feet of air regularly, and never have an axle issue, A little buggy won't hurt them, especially with a LS.