Spool Vs. Mini-Spool

Chris

Reaction
I'm trying to locate a spool for a nine inch (31 spline). I've found two types on summit's performance parts page. Keeping in mind it's for a off-road racing aplication and we run a mildly modified 351w coupled to a c-6, first what's the difference between a spool and a mini-spool (besides cost) and second is there a reason not to use one or the other in off-road racing?
thanks for your time.

Jack

Reaction
A spool replaces the whole carrier (the ring gear bolts to it). A mini spool uses your carier and replaces the spider gears in it conecting the two axles together. As for which to use, the spool is less complicated but as long as your carrier is a strong enough design then a mini should not be a problem.

Chris

Reaction
Thanks Jack.

MNotary

Reaction
We stuck a mini in a 9 inch with a junkyard motor and promptly broke it. Spend the money and get a real spool and a quick steer.

jeff

Reaction
The full spool is the only way to go - especially if it's for off-road use. Don't even consider the mini-spool. Either get rid of that mini-spool thought right now or start putting together your trailside 3rd member rebuild kit.

I'm sure somebody has got one of those to live in a 9" but I've never met them.

Aloha

J_Dog

Reaction
Chris,
We run a mini-spool in our 7s truck, but then again it's only a 2.8 V6. I've always heard that with the bigger motors it is best to run a full spool. They are stronger and tend to handle the abuse better. If you need more info or advise call Currie Enterprises (714) 528-6957 or Moser Engineering (260) 726-6689 or check out the links below.

www.moserengineering.com

Jeff Matlock
CODE 3 Motorsports
Class 7s Ford Ranger - VORRA

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
"why not just weld the spider gears together " ie suicide by welder.
Only do this if you like to take HARD right or left hand turns at high speed when they break. ! Use to see drag racers do this all the time and watch as there car did hard 90's into the guardrail. Fun to watch but messy bloody cleanup.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Thats the difference between rock crawlers and desert races...go mention that on the country boards and I am sure you will get rave reviews about it.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

MNotary

Reaction
We have a drag race buddy that has a mini spool in his 10 sec V-8 with slicks. He said get a mini spool. We bought a strange spool after the first outing with the mini.

Chris

Reaction
I've got a line on a used strange spool from a reputable shop for 125, I'm going to go pick it up after work today.

ntsqd

Reaction
There are two ways to Lincoln/Miller/Hobart Locker a diff. One ruins it immediately only you don't know when it will actually fail. The other takes a while to ruin it, and you don't know when it will fail. Leave this trick for Demolition Derby cars.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages