Sportbike powered buggy racing???

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I have seen some sportbike powered buggies (mainly 1300cc Hayabusa engines) lately, but I can't seem to find what class these buggies belong to. . .

. . .little help???

I just built a chassis very similar to what these buggies appear to be and with only a little modification to the design I could have a chassis design ready to go with all of the interference issues of a prototype vehicle already figured out. . .

. . .looking for the series they race in and the class that they fall into.

Thanks!!!

fl250driver

Reaction
what is the desertkart class that drive has?
is it like sportsman mini buggy
and do they race the big course or a short course cus the entry is only 50 bucks

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Not sure what you're talking about there FL250Driver???

Could you be a little more clear?

Most of the Kart classes that I have seen are for drvier's under the age of 15.

fl250driver

Reaction
http://www.drive-racing.com/drive_rules.html
it says desert kart entry fee is 50 bucks
it also says it is class 200 and is sportsman
but there are no rules for class 200
desert kart is a website that provides plans to build mini buggys to be powered with a motorcycle(street bike eninge) like a haybusa.
i started a thread about drive desert kart class but no one has replyed

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I'm familiar with desertkart.com. . .we bought our R&P from them for our 10HP B&S powered SAE Baja buggy to race in a collegiate competition in Portland, OR. . .

here's the link to a couple of the SAE Baja builds on the forum:
My build:
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57864

Minnesota State build:
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56312

There is also New Mexico State build somewhere on here, but I don't have the link handy. . .

Thanks for the link to the Drive Series. . .

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Checked it out. . .I would love to be able to competitively race a small wheelbase buggy (~100" WB) without being limited to a VW engine.

I've seen the Speed Unlimited MC-10 and the Fusion C1-Lite in Dirt Sports recently and something like that would fit my budget. . .I was thinking a sportbike engine because then you can fit the 1600cc classes that you wouldn't be able to with the 2.2 and 2.4L Ecotec engines (and I think I can get Hayabusa engines cheaper than an Ecotec as well). . .

rickf

Reaction
I'd be surprised if the transmissions would hold up in the long term.
Motorcycle transmissions are pretty light duty.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
. . .the transmission would be fine. . .

I've been riding sportbikes for quite a while and I have never heard of anyone breaking anything in one of the newer trannies. . .having to replace clutch plates from abusing the bikes stunting but never actually breaking an actual transmission part. . .

. . .the transmission is an integral part of the engine and they are designed to work together. . .Speed Unlimited's MC-10 uses a Hayabusa (1300cc) engine/transmission and just one at Glen Helen not too long ago. . .

. . .the Superbikes are now putting out ~200HP and are running the bikes at 10,000+ RPM for an hour straight banging up and down through the gears and you never hear about one of the trannies breaking. . .and that's on slick race tires on the pavement. . .way more shock to transmission than in the dirt. . .I think the transmission would be fine. . .may have to do some machining to the gears but that's about it. . .get the transmission built to Superbike specs and you should be set. . .and doing just the transmission is still cheaper than buying a race TH400 and definitely cheaper than a Mendeola or Fortin, etc. . .