Sportsman Buggy Build

DesertGuy1

Reaction
Minor Update:

Still acquiring all of the little parts (Parker Pumpers, Electrical Compents, etc...) that take $$$ but just gets to be a box in the garage. Decided to swap the Mendeola 2D for a sequential trans... so "re-making" little parts to accommodate the switch. I had Dave Brown make a set of rear arms and a torsion housing since he has always done a great job on previous arms. These arms will use a 1.25" outer heim and a 1.00" inner uniball... similar components that I am using on the front suspension... trying to limit different size parts on the car. The Pro-Am 934 midboard hubs fit right up so as soon as the 3.5" bypass comes in I can start puttin' it all together...

reararm1.jpg

reararm2.jpg

...And of course, been making my extinguisher mounts for the car also...

extinMoun.jpg

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Looking really good!!! Nice build.

DesertGuy1

Reaction
As with all builds, One Step Forward... Two Steps Back. Finally wrapped up a few "remakes" by switching to the S4 and Hargett shifter. Still waiting on the 3.5" rear bypass (approaching 3 months) but thankfully the time has come to start the chassis...

S4Mounting.jpg

table1.jpg

DesertGuy1

Reaction
Is the 3 month wait for a King 3.5" bypass?

No, FOX... (Also, trying to get their tech dept to return a phone call is like pulling teeth, nowadays)

Front:

2.0" Coil Carrier
3.0" Bypass

Rear:

2.5" Piggyback Coil Carrier
3.5" Bypass (hopefully soon)
2.5" Bumps

shockPkg.jpg

DesertGuy1

Reaction
... Received the Hargett Precision shifter (thanks Mark) for the new trans which caused the "remake" for the shifter pedestal. This will be the basic layout of the interior compartment. Looking at ways to "hard-link" the S4 and shifter using heims instead of the cable attachment. "Hopefully" will have the "first floor" laid out and set soon... changed the initial design a 118" wheelbase.

hargett.jpg

interior5.jpg

DesertGuy1

Reaction
Thanks for the good words... proof will be in the puddin', as they say. I am using Solidworks to design the "modules" of the buggy... a program that I know very little or just enough to get in deep sukiyaki.

Since the buggy is being designed and built in modules, did a "real estate" check to make sure all modules want to play nicely together. 118" wheelbase gets used up fairly quickly after "mocking" the major components in their space. These pics were simply for reference to associate the computer model to real world... I need to see it in tangible form to "see" it.

layout1.jpg

layout2.jpg

07FJRog

Reaction
nice progress. any idea on the shape of your frame yet?

Rog

DesertGuy1

Reaction
The frame will have the following characteristics: 4 inch V hull bottom floor, cab forward design and a 1.5" rake at the midrail. Now its just a matter of getting the buggy that is in my head onto the table... either it will look like I planned or be a very expensive hack job, time will tell.

goofballracer

PAT DAILEY #1 FAN
Reaction
uhhhhhh. nothing you ever do is a hack job!

motorbreath

Reaction
.... and some of us are awfull proud of our "hack-jobs"... :D

How about some progress pics? Even if its an S4 sitting on a garage floor...

DesertGuy1

Reaction
...How about some progress pics?

Should have the "first floor" getting wrapped up by the end of the week. Here are a couple quick phone pics... at least they show the V hull design beginning to take shape. Should have some "good" pics soon.

bottomframe1.jpg

bottomframe2.jpg

Along the lines of the S4... made a bracket that will allow the transaxle to be removed from the buggy without having to remove the engine first... we'll see how it pans out.

s4bracket.jpg

S4Mounting.jpg

Last edited:

DesertGuy1

Reaction
New pics?????

Here are a couple of less "fuzzy" ones. Completed laying out the skeleton for the bottom floor and determining midrail placement for secondary scaffolding. Also, worked on "comfort" positioning of the shifter console and seating... Basically, alot of staring... measuring... and staring... Its difficult to get "good" pics, Im no papparazzi...

floorB.jpg

floorA.jpg

floorC.jpg

floorD.jpg

Andrew

Reaction
I'm incredibly impressed with how clean this buggy is. Seriously... the subframe, bulkhead, shock towers, arms, bracketry... it's all top notch

How many cars have you built before this?

motorbreath

Reaction
...I hear its less impressive in person... just fancy photoshop and drawings....

Kiddin of course..... what's the timeline goal for rolling?

DesertGuy1

Reaction
Andrew, thanks for the good words, it is appreciated. I am grateful that I get to talk to folks alot smarter than I and they allow me to pick their brain... they are truly professionals.

Mama's Breast, dealing with multiple outside vendors all at the same time, I have given up setting deadlines. I have one in my mind but Im sure as soon as I would say it... it would come and go.

DesertGuy1

Reaction
A little difficult to "see" through the jungle gym of scaffolding but the buggy seems to be in that awkward adolescent stage awaiting to bloom...(hopefully) Setting up the perimeter tubing prior to lacing it up. The front bumper bar is just "hangin' around" for the time being, it will be shortened to about half its length, sleeved with 1.50" and radiused back into the midrail. Roofline is set for 3.00" clearance (with helmet on). Frontend "slope" is set to be at horizon when at full droop, maintaining vision over hood while driving and the roofline's "rake" maintains the same degree slope as front end. Hopefully, within the next few weeks it will look more like a buggy... time will tell.

criticism is always welcomed.

toppic4.jpg

toppic2.jpg

This will take the place of the 2D that was originally planned
s433.jpg